Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 What happened to Sock Clubs?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1553 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  5:35:18 PM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to say...although I have avoided the sock clubs...that this is a very interesting topic. I have enjoyed reading all your opinions and ideas about the sock clubs. I probably have enough yarn and patterns to start my own sock club!

Shirley, Dana Point, CA

...To much is not enough!
Go to Top of Page

sydo
Chatty Knitter

USA
225 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  4:23:31 PM  Show Profile  Send sydo a Yahoo! Message Send sydo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Further evidence of the decline of sock clubs and perhaps even the over-saturation of the sock knitting market is the growing number of patterns-other-than-socks for sock yarns. There seems to be an increase in the fingering weight, one skein, shawlette patterns. After all, we all have only one neck each, not two. At any rate, I have a lot of sock yarn and I find myself intrigued by such patterns lately. Perhaps I am not alone!

Sydo
Go to Top of Page

midnightskyfibers
Gabber Extraordinaire

579 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  12:07:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit midnightskyfibers's Homepage Send midnightskyfibers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As someone who used to run a sock (and other) club, I can say...well, it gets old to dye *that many* of one color of one type of yarn all at once. I would rather make kits and small dyelots.

---
Midnightsky Fibers Naturally Dyed Handspun Yarn & Fiber Dyed using only natural dyes and non toxic mordants on luxurious and unique fibers.
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  2:12:22 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Getting into this late, *cough* I really like socks but have never been tempted to join a sock club. There was one ages ago somewhere else and the pattern and the yarn color were so unappealing to me, that it scared me off.

O I <3 the idea of bagging my own that GFTC invented. What a great idea.

And I would love to have people to knit socks with, my DDs or any other knitting, semi-radical progressives, but they are thin on the ground here in my woods.

My Blog @ Zippiknits
Knitting@ Flicker
Go to Top of Page

Chappysmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

519 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  3:19:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chappysmom's Homepage Send Chappysmom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not only that, though, but in this economy, sock clubs for gorgrous, handpainted yarns is a huge investment. Treating yourself to one or two skeins when you feel flush is one thing, but committing to a monthly installment adds up very quickly!

Deb in NJ
http://chappysmom.com/ and http://knittingscholar.com/

And, need a Freelance writer? http://punctualityrules.com/
Go to Top of Page

bluelustrecat
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  07:34:22 AM  Show Profile Send bluelustrecat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by abt1950

Noallatin, I'm with you on the foot size issue. Every sock I knit has to be upsized at least a little. That's more possible for some patterns than for others.

Also, a friend was in a sock club. She didn't care for her experience that much, and I didn't particularly care for the patterns she got. I'm taking that as a lesson for me.

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by