Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 What happened to Sock Clubs?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2009 :  3:45:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I feel as though for a while everyone was buzzing about this sock club and that sock club and lotteries for getting into them and stalking websites waiting for registration to open and spoiler alerts and all sorts of hysteria about them.

Now, I don't hear (OK, read) a word about sock clubs. Are they sooooo 2008 or have they gone underground?

Are you participating anymore?

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2009 :  4:19:56 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I noticed that, also, but figured that everyone has so much sock yarn that they just lost interest. Personally, I don't like the surprise every month. If I'm going to pay full price, then I want to choose which skeins to buy.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3464 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2009 :  6:08:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm still in the Woolgirl sock club :)
Actually, there's a book coming out about sock clubs. From what I understand, it will also include patterns from various sock clubs.
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4390 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2009 :  06:17:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think sock clubs are evolving into yarn clubs, fiber clubs, collections, etc. Patterns don't really need to be part of the package any more, because they are so easy to find.

When Sundara's Petals Collection sock club morphed into the Seasons Collection, which was a subscription that included all her yarn bases and not just sock yarn, it was a huge hit. And in her new Santa Fe Collection, subscribers choose the yarn base they want. It makes a lot of sense and cuts way down on the frenzy. I have a feeling that this is the direction other indie dyers are going, too.

I might have enough sock yarn to stock a store, but I'm always on the lookout for something new and interesting. If a club came along that offered some fabulous yarn that made my heart sing, then perhaps I could be persuaded!

Jane

Betty needs a warm hat: Support KR
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

noallatin
Chatty Knitter

285 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2009 :  06:48:27 AM  Show Profile Send noallatin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is my first year in a sock club and am debating whether or not I want to continue. This club was my second choice as choice #1 has a lottery and I didn't make the cut. I joined this particular club because I had read lots of nice things about the yarn, the colorways, the designers and the whole club experience. Unfortunately, the club's owner was distracted by other ventures and while the yarns are pretty and the patterns are interesting, I feel I missed out on the "club" experience.

My other problem with sock clubs is that they market to the average size foot. I understand that from a business standpoint. However,I don't have average size feet. After knitting the first club sock and having to send out search parties to find someone's leftovers so that I could finish the second sock of the pair, I realized that maybe a sock club wasn't the best use of my money.

Having said that, I'll probably be in the lottery for my first choice come January. SOmetimes I need to be bopped on the noggin a couple of times before I learn my lesson
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2009 :  7:09:49 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Noallatin, I'm with you on the foot size issue. Every sock I knit has to be upsized at least a little. That's more possible for some patterns than for others.

Also, a friend was in a sock club. She didn't care for her experience that much, and I didn't particularly care for the patterns she got. I'm taking that as a lesson for me.

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

KS
Seriously Hooked

862 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2009 :  05:06:03 AM  Show Profile Send KS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never thought about it, but now that you mention it, there does seem to be less discussion of it. It also seems like there is less discussion of socks in general. I know I have more than I need. They don't all fit in the sock drawer.

I never joined a sock club. It just didn't seem right for me. I view them as kits, & I'm not a kits person. I'm not against people using kits. It's just not what I want to do. Even if I was interested in a particlar one, I don't like the idea of commiting to pay for something I haven't seen. The other aspect I don't like is paying shipping charges for one pair of socks.

Maybe the economy has dented the clubs. Even a 6 mos sock club is a fairly large commitment.
Go to Top of Page

fiddlerbird555
Permanent Resident

USA
1429 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2009 :  2:48:22 PM  Show Profile Send fiddlerbird555 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never did the "sock club" thing. I have little enough time to knit, both in hours and number of stitches, that I will ONLY knit projects that I have chosen for myself.

Not sock club, not mystery KAL, nada.

I can go loopy, or I can knit. Your choice.
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4166 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2009 :  08:01:28 AM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm still in one (Woolgirl, like Minh). I've noticed several dyers (Wollmeise, Posh) are not continuing with clubs; Posh reports they'll be doing more one-off kits. Jen at Woolgirl does great one-off kits too. So maybe that's where the knititng industry is going.

Or else, maybe we all have enough sock yarn, finally! I know I have at least 5 years of sock yarn in my stash.

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Katheroni
Permanent Resident

USA
1407 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2009 :  08:30:16 AM  Show Profile Send Katheroni a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe the folks who like that sort of thing just got tired of it?

Of course, I've never had the foggiest idea why it would appeal to anyone at all.
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5192 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2009 :  09:20:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The clubs seem to be a heck of a lot of work for the dyer/yarn company. I see the financial reward in presales, of course, but it must be very stressful to have a monthly deadline always looming. That must be compounded by knowing that some participants may complain about a given months' colorway or pattern.

See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.com/
Read my audiobook reviews: http://booksforears.com/
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2009 :  9:24:14 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It certainly doesn't seem to reflect a decrease in the popularity of socks. There are so many wonderful sock books that either have come out in the last few months or will be coming out soon. Maybe that and the Sock Summit sated everyone's thirst for clubs?

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

jeanhal
Warming Up

51 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  03:17:47 AM  Show Profile Send jeanhal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I belonged to a Sock Club in 2008-losing my job in the same year-and being able to find part-time work only, made an easy decision to give up the club in '09. What I learned from the experience is-
1)I have way too much sock yarn (yarn period, but trying to stay on topic) I counted recently and have 61 PAIR worth to knit
2)I have yet to knit any of the sock yarn I got in the club-I have used a couple patterns though & my husband loves one of them.
3)The decision was made to buy several of the new sock books, download several patterns (both free and paid for)and use those to knit the yarn I have.

I agree that the 1000(+) clubs that were out there needed to be knocked down, but I don't see sock knitting going anywhere anytime soon. It is too fun, easy, and gives one the ability to try new techniques and patterns without a lot invested.

So, no new clubs for me-and no new sock yarn either-at least until that new one calls my name---Still looking for Hedwig Colorway!

Jean
http://abcriversedge.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

valleruata
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  07:11:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit valleruata's Homepage Send valleruata a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And here I am starting a new sock club. hahaha
I've belonged to several and have way to many projects to finish. I had decided to take this year off to do just that. Until I got an idea! What I don't care for in sock clubs is that I don't feel part of a "club". So I am starting one in Portland (this month) where we all meet for lunch to receive our kits. We get to meet the designer and dyer for each month and really get to know everyone in the group. I've been asked to offer it in the mail. The only way for it to keep the same feel would be for a small group to sign up and have lunch to create their own community feel. I am going to include the recipes from our lunches to help with that.
Deb in Portland, Or
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2604 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  6:59:58 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only one I belong to is the one GFTC suggested awhile ago: take a skein of sock yarn from your stash, match it to a pattern, place in bag, seal. Repeat 6-12 times. Stack bags in a closet or on bookshelf. Grab bag monthly, quarterly, whatever, and start knitting. And even with that, I haven't knit a single sock this year. I had about 7 identical lunch bags lined up, each with yarn and pattern. I grabbed one and it was Pomotomous. I began and decided I didn't like the big holes. (Heresy, I know.) I grabbed another before a trip and the pattern was too complicated for a plane trip, I decided. I grabbed another before some other trip and realized the yarn wasn't wound and I didn't have time to wind it. So no, even my very own sock club isn't working for me.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  7:21:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anderknit, thank you for not asking for a refund!

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2009 :  10:09:20 AM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Deb, that sounds like a great idea! I'm a Portland girl at heart (grew up there) and would join in a second if I still lived there.

I've started doing the Sock Knitters Anonymous monthly challenges on Ravelry. There's a clubby feeling but you get to do your own thing as long as it's within the guidelines of the monthly challenges, which are pretty broad. Last month it was anything in yellow, any Wendy Johnson sock, or a mystery sock in yellow designed by Nancy Bush. I did a Wendy Johnson sock and the mystery sock, although not in yellow. The mystery sock was a real kick (so to speak), although my red yarn made it not officially part of the challenge. The idea of the group is to stretch your knitting muscles, and the mystery sock certainly did that.

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2604 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2009 :  11:17:11 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But GFTC, I still really love the concept, and I wouldn't think of asking for my money back! And aside from the Pomotomous, I resealed the bags and I know that someday I'll grab one and it will be the perfect project for me.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1136 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2009 :  12:21:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The main reasons I haven't joined a sock club is that:

a) I like to knit other things besides socks, and I'd probably end up knitting nothing BUT socks, just to keep up with the monthly projects.

b) Due to my tendonitis, I have a tough time knitting anything with needles smaller than #3. I'm currently working on socks using a size #1, and I can only work on them for so long before I'm in pain. Usually, when I knit socks, I knit "house socks" where I can use size #5 or higher.

PAM

WIP = Hourglass Sweater (knit), Socks (knit), Victorian Christmas Rug (crochet), Knit Your Bit WWII Museum Scarf (crochet).
YTD: Shadow Jacket (crochet), Snowflake Sweater (knit), Round Ripple (crochet), Socks (knit - 3 pairs), Cot'n Corn Eyelet Rib Top (knit), Crochet Hook Bag (Double Crochet), Charity Squares (knit), Armenius Sweater (knit), Brown Sweater (knit), Entrelac Scarf (tunisian crochet), DROPS Crochet Cardigan (crochet)

Twitter Name = WildKnitter

If I could only do this for a living...
Go to Top of Page

calicokitty6
Seriously Hooked

USA
864 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  08:36:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit calicokitty6's Homepage Send calicokitty6 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the idea of bagging a yarn with a copy of a pattern and having surprises from your own stash. I will try doing that. Lately, I've been dyeing some of my own yarns and fibers to use as well. I don't have plans to sell them, so I'm just having fun playing.

I wish I lived in Portland as well since that sounds like a wonderful club idea.

Right now, I'm still in one sock club and two fiber clubs. They are both wonderful, but, I don't plan to renew since my stash is extremely large. Sock yarn is being used for shawls, mitts, scarves, and hats as well as socks. I was in a couple of others people's in the past, but, decided one was enough and didn't renew. The same thing happened with the fiber clubs. I just can't knit or spin fast enough to keep up with the shipments.
Most sock clubs seem to be similar in ideas, with a pattern and yarn, maybe a little something extra. The dyer of one of the fiber and sock yarn clubs I'm still in does hers a bit different in that every member has an individually custom dyed skein every shipment with no two colors ever alike or sent to another member. Her fiber club is the same way, with everyone getting a different color fiber. To do this, you answered a questionaire at the beginning of the club to tailor your skeins/fiber to you.

=^..^= Debbie http://calicokitty6.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

hcdarmara@earthlink.net
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  08:23:00 AM  Show Profile Send hcdarmara@earthlink.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PBELKNAP

The main reasons I haven't joined a sock club is that:

b) Due to my tendonitis, I have a tough time knitting anything with needles smaller than #3. I'm currently working on socks using a size #1, and I can only work on them for so long before I'm in pain. Usually, when I knit socks, I knit "house socks" where I can use size #5 or higher.

Off topic -- about the tendonitis -- depending on what triggers it for you, you might find as I did that it gets better with a different knitting or tensioning technique. I'm a confirmed (40 year) continental knitter, so when I got tendonitis in my left index finger, I was really stuck. I tried keeping it close to the left needle -- slight improvement, because it just kept sticking back out to control the tension.

Then I found Portuguese knitting. Because you create a pulley between your knitting and the hand that does the tensioning, you can use the big muscles in your arm and hand rather than little muscles. Of course, I expect that eventually my left thumb may get sore from "flicking" but no problems yet.

Sorry about the thread jack.

Helen

PAM

WIP = Hourglass Sweater (knit), Socks (knit), Victorian Christmas Rug (crochet), Knit Your Bit WWII Museum Scarf (crochet).
YTD: Shadow Jacket (crochet), Snowflake Sweater (knit), Round Ripple (crochet), Socks (knit - 3 pairs), Cot'n Corn Eyelet Rib Top (knit), Crochet Hook Bag (Double Crochet), Charity Squares (knit), Armenius Sweater (knit), Brown Sweater (knit), Entrelac Scarf (tunisian crochet), DROPS Crochet Cardigan (crochet)

Twitter Name = WildKnitter

If I could only do this for a living...

[/quote]
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.73 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth