Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Machine Talk
 Super Duper Basic Beginner Talk
 LK 150
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BAStinson
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2009 :  2:55:37 PM  Show Profile Send BAStinson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,
New at this where do I start. I have LK150 machine How do I start with the scraf pattern, where do I fine one? Are there websites with free patterns to learn on? had my machine quite a while but have'nt done much with it. Can use all the help I can get. Would like to have a computerize one some day. Whats the best on eout there?

Barbara Stinson

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2009 :  1:16:51 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the same machine but I'm not an expert on it. Here's a web site with a ton of info on the machine and how to use it.

http://www.clearwaterknits.com/tutorial/tutorial.html

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

brendawarren1
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  3:06:12 PM  Show Profile Send brendawarren1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I received a knitting machine for Christmas and I can't get it to work. I have graduated to getting two rows done but then it sticks. I am so frustrated. Can anyone give me a tip or at least explain why the shuttle just jams?
Go to Top of Page

Bernie
Chatty Knitter

Canada
115 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2010 :  03:17:02 AM  Show Profile Send Bernie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi: which machine are you using? There are several reasons, first it could be the sponge, it may have deteriorated, you will have to turn the machine over to inspect it. Second, the yarn may be too heavy for the machine, if you are using an LK150 you can use baby weight up to and including a sport or dk weight yarn. and lastly the carriage may not be seated properly on the rail.
if you need more help just let us know
Bernie
Go to Top of Page

brendawarren1
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2010 :  5:55:38 PM  Show Profile Send brendawarren1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bernie, I am so new, I didn't realize that there would be so many brands of machines. Mine was a gift for Christmas and I would classify it as a hobby machine. It doesn't have a sponge. I think it is called the Ultimate Sweater Machine. Would you know anything about this machine? (FYI I am using the yarn that cane with the machine.)
Go to Top of Page

Bernie
Chatty Knitter

Canada
115 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  03:18:27 AM  Show Profile Send Bernie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi: I have several singer and brother machines, but I don't have a USM so I can't help you too much, but there are videos on you tube for bond machines you can check there. You can also check their site www.bond-america.com they have free patterns and a video.
Bernie
Go to Top of Page

madams716
Chatty Knitter

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  1:03:06 PM  Show Profile Send madams716 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BrendaWarren, I received a USM for Christmas also but am having pretty good luck with mine.

There are 2 things that come to mind that might cause the problem you are describing.

First, your table has to be absolutely flat so that the bed of the machine doesn't have any raised spots. Also, if you tighten the clamps too tightly the back of the machine will lift and cause your carriage to stick as well.

Second, could be related to weight. If you don't have enough weight - or the weight is uneven, it could also cause the carriage to stick.

Every once in a while I have my carriage stick for no reason that I can see - when this happens I have a needle that is just slightly misaligned which the carriage sticks on. Most of the time when this happens a quick tug on the knitting below the carriage will resettle the stuck needle and let me move on.

Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

raedean52
New Pal

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2010 :  1:37:30 PM  Show Profile Send raedean52 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i got a lk150 and i do not know if i use 2 balls of yarn.one to thread up and thru and another thru where i cast on at or do i bring the yarn thru the top yarn guide and on down and then cast on?do i cast onto the metal combs not connected to the machine?if i use 4 ply yarn??what tension?

also.can i wing it on implements?like weights.could i use a potato chip clip and clip it on with a fishing weight on it??as a weight?
i am looking for the manual.i got the machine free at an estate sale.hugs raedean
Go to Top of Page

amoonsinger
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2010 :  10:50:57 AM  Show Profile Send amoonsinger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsu3g85hpDk This is a link to a video that will help you with your machine. Different machine but process pretty much the same: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aQNOGgMuqI (I have this machine but don't use the box. I like to see my yarn)

Be sure to check to see if the sponge strip needs replacing. The sponge strip holds the needles in place so they don't bounce around. That keeps the needles knitting properly. You can see info on how to replace a strip here: http://marzipanknits.blogspot.com/2008/07/tutorial-for-changing-sponge-strip-on.html A bad sponge can lead to broken needles and a damaged carriage.

Be sure to go through many of the other videos at youtube. Most will be for other machines but the manual techniuqes used on one machine can be used on others and are very good to learn.

Neat that you got the machine free. These are not cheap but lots of fun to play with.

Go to Top of Page

amoonsinger
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2010 :  11:00:59 AM  Show Profile Send amoonsinger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh on the video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aQNOGgMuqI be sure to go to the end of the video to watch the bloopers on the machine. These will give you an idea of mistakes that can happen. Then you can see that these happen to everyone. Don't let those little things that happen stop you from continuing to learn the machines.

I wish I could tell you how many times I have dropped an entire project just because I didn't get the yarn loaded right in the carriage. That is a shocker when the project falls to the feet, but sure is a good teaching lesson after the ten or twenty times it happens.

I do love videos that show the mistakes and how you can learn from them.
Go to Top of Page

tasanawright
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2011 :  09:07:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit tasanawright's Homepage Send tasanawright a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just got the LK150 and it came with a vhs tape but I have no way to watch it. I figured out how to thread it but it didn't mention anywhere in the instructions to cast on. -I only saw this because of a video on youtube I saw- but have no idea how to do it. I also can get it to move once or twice but after that it jams up. i don't know why. if it's the yarn I'm using which is like fingering weight on a cone. but all the yarn I have...

is it worth it all to figure this thing out? I'm ready to chuck it out the window right now... can anyone tell me some free video links to watch how to set it up and use. I only found a few on youtube that were not helpful at all.
Go to Top of Page

amoonsinger
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2011 :  08:04:28 AM  Show Profile Send amoonsinger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really any of the videos on youtube for casting on a knitting machine, be it a standard, bulky, or midgauged machine will work for you. The gauges of the machines, and yarns they use are different but cast on methods are the same for all of the machine single beds. Just don't look at the ones that deal with having a ribber as the LK150 doesn't have a ribber.

One thing to ask is if you have check the sponge strip. If you picked this up used and not from a dealer, it might need a new sponge strip. The strip holds the needles in place so they can knit properly. Bad strip means needles bouncing all over and the carriage cannot knit right. If you type in a search "how to change a sponge strip" or something like that there are online tutorials and Berta even has a video for a brother machine. My LK140 was actually easier to install the sponge strip then my brother 350 machines (yes I have multiple of those, three to be exact). (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAOTLnJgIho) You can copy and paste that to see Bertas video.

Many times jams are caused but a bad sponge strip (sponge bars on the metal bed machines), as the needles cannot knit right due to that soft sponge or deteriorated sponge. It is always one of the first things to check out.

At youtube look for dianaknits to find lots of beginner videos she has produced. Most are on metal bed machines, but that means very little, like I said a cast on for one machine is the same for another in most instances. Check out her ewrap cast on, latch tool cast on, and others.

It is worth figuring out. Well, I think so. I currently have many machines and although I don't exclusive machine knit, I do love the machines.

Go to Top of Page

chiral
Warming Up

Australia
68 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  3:40:22 PM  Show Profile Send chiral a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Radean

I have several sets of fishing weights I use when I'm making smaller items. As long as they don't catch in the machine or damage the knitting you should be fine.

The transfer tools and the cast on comb are about the only essentials. The rest can be improvised if necessary. I know of people who regularly raid their kitchen utensils for particular jobs.

Steve
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chiral1/
Go to Top of Page

chiral
Warming Up

Australia
68 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  3:42:56 PM  Show Profile Send chiral a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a good site for the LK 150.

http://www.clearwaterknits.com/tutorial/tutorial.html

You can find out how to set the machine up, how to cast on and off and all sorts of "goodies".

Steve
Go to Top of Page

chiral
Warming Up

Australia
68 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  4:11:55 PM  Show Profile Send chiral a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found a free copy of the LK140 manual here:

https://www.onlinefilefolder.com/4sP8j5esIcy65R

This is exactly the same as the LK150 but it has 140 needles instead of 150.

Hope this helps

Steve
Go to Top of Page

sian
New Pal

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2014 :  8:29:39 PM  Show Profile Send sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i can help but just lost everything i typed
can un message me

fir now

1 wax your usm keyplate before use
2 cast on with ravel cord and then use black mat weight thing
3 use silicon spray ( need be plastic friendly)

4 if wool or yarn id getting stuck it may be that one of the needles wasnt in the right position before u knit your row , were they in the working position
( use yellow card for re lining up)

5 check carriage is on the usm needle bed correctly

6 make sure u have your clew weights as close to the needles as possble
usm needs the weight you can get these from amazon.
did u use the black weighted mate after casting on

7 search you tube for cheryl brunette teaches knitting or ultimate sweater machine

this should get you started

the incredible sweater , bond classic, the bond elite and the ultimate sweater deluxe
and the ultimate sweater machines dont have sponge bars

and i dont think the simplicity bond sweater machine or the bond ribber do either .

Go to Top of Page

sian
New Pal

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2014 :  8:30:55 PM  Show Profile Send sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sian

i can help but just lost everything i typed
can un message me

fir now

1 wax your usm keyplate before use
2 cast on with ravel cord and then use black mat weight thing
3 use silicon spray ( need be plastic friendly)

4 if wool or yarn id getting stuck it may be that one of the needles wasnt in the right position before u knit your row , were they in the working position
( use yellow card for re lining up)

5 check carriage is on the usm needle bed correctly

6 make sure u have your clew weights as close to the needles as possble
usm needs the weight you can get these from amazon.
did u use the black weighted mate after casting on

7 search you tube for cheryl brunette teaches knitting or ultimate sweater machine

this should get you started

the incredible sweater , bond classic, the bond elite and the ultimate sweater deluxe
and the ultimate sweater machines dont have sponge bars

and i dont think the simplicity bond sweater machine or the bond ribber do either .

can u message me i might be able help u more

Go to Top of Page

sian
New Pal

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2014 :  8:32:35 PM  Show Profile Send sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sorry about the duplicate reply
Go to Top of Page

sian
New Pal

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2014 :  8:36:30 PM  Show Profile Send sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i think the jaming on the lk150 might be the tention guide us to tight , i saw somewhere that the tension guide and the carriage dial need to match
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2396 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2014 :  07:31:45 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the LK150. When I first got it, I knit a baby blanket with worsted and it worked fine. Hate to admit it, but I haven't touched it since. I'm going to retire one of these days and then I'll have the time I need.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
Reminder to myself: PROVISIONAL cast on for EVERYTHING except toe-up socks.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe