Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning gadgets and accessories
 Kromski Minstrel Jumbo Flyer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Caladh
New Pal

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  2:47:50 PM  Show Profile Send Caladh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello, I'm a new member and I have a Kromski Minstrel which I love. I've just bought a jumbo flyer for it and cannot figure out how it can work. The whorl, when screwed on, wedges tightly against the bobbin and the bobbin cannot spin freely the way the standard bobbin does and so will not draw wool on to the bobbin. I've looked at all the photos in the adverts and the whorl looks tight up against the bobbin. Before I contact my supplier, has anybody used one of these ? Am I missing something and doing something wrong ?

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  3:34:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did not know that they had a jumbo flyer for the Minstrel, but make sure everything is well oiled. I have the older version of the Minstrel, which needs the more extensive mods....which I won't be doing, since that's my fave wheel and I have the jumbo flyer for the Sonata. That one needed a ton of oil to start with. Is it possible that the maiden is turned around though, so it's backwards?

Kelley
Check out my solar-dyed yarns at http://www.ceallachdyes.com
and my blog at http://ceallachknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Caladh
New Pal

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  3:57:46 PM  Show Profile Send Caladh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Kelly, thanks for your quick reply. It's not lack of oil, have steeped the leather of the front maiden overnight, nor is it on backwards. The flyer spindle just doesn't seem long enough to let the bobbin spin as the whorl is screwed hard up against the bobbin.
Go to Top of Page

Caladh
New Pal

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2009 :  01:55:17 AM  Show Profile Send Caladh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is a link to some photographs which I took today of the flyer & bobbin which help explain the problem.

http://www.northspace.co.uk/spinning.html
Go to Top of Page

Caladh
New Pal

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2009 :  04:41:22 AM  Show Profile Send Caladh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's fixed I contacted my supplier and the wee brass bit at the top of spindle should not be there and the answer was to pull it off with pliers. My husband did this as I'm technologically challenged and everything is fine. The bobbin spins with no problems and the flyer is working fine with the whorl screwed on. I'm going to try it out this evening.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

jennybensmom
Chatty Knitter

182 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2009 :  8:23:39 PM  Show Profile Send jennybensmom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good to hear it was an easy fix.

Barbara
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.