Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning gadgets and accessories
 1 yard niddy noddy?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

socker
Chatty Knitter

258 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2009 :  07:57:03 AM  Show Profile Send socker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is a one yard niddy noddy usefull, or just a waste? I often have to head out the door for a couple of days on very short notice, so, I try to keep my travel packs ready to go. So, along with a drop spindle and a few ounces of roving, I was thinking of adding a 1 yard niddy - noddy to my spinning bag. When broken down it would be 3 dowels each about 10 inches long. But, is it going to be too short to be useful?

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1353 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2009 :  10:19:09 AM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For spindling or sampling I think it can be useful. But I wouldn't want to put too much on there. Maybe no more than 75 or 100 yards. I have a smallish one but I think it's 1.5 yards. I rarely use it since I rarely spin with a spindle but for small amounts it works nicely. If you don't want to spend the money though you can always use a book or even your arm to wrap the yarn around.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Signature? Who needs a signature?
Go to Top of Page

socker
Chatty Knitter

258 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2009 :  10:38:02 AM  Show Profile Send socker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks -- I was thinking the max would be 50 - 100 yards, so that sounds like it would work. I've wrapped around a book before, I even have a few sample yards on a drink coaster right now, but I do like the skein that comes off the niddy - noddy better. As for cost, what I'm going to do is cut a length of old broom handle, drill 2 holes at the right places, then push a section of dowel through each hole, after sanding one end just a little to make it easier to get through.
Go to Top of Page

hotzcatz
New Pal

22 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2012 :  4:09:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit hotzcatz's Homepage Send hotzcatz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The one yard niddy noddy is used for the angora yarn around here. The two yard niddy noddy is for the alpaca and sheep yarn. The one yard niddy noddy here was made from scraps of lumber, mostly old wooden stakes used on political signs during the last election. Could you make two sets of holes in your broom handle, one for the one yard skeins and one for the two yard skeins? Make the noddy arms wider so the two broomstick holes could be closer together so the broomstick wouldn't have to be that long? Then you could have a choice of which size.
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1858 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2012 :  9:14:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know if mine comes out to a yard, but I use it when spinning yarn samples. Totally worthwhile.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe