Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitterly Happenings and Events
 Report from the Sock Summit
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2009 :  7:17:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I perhaps had a slightly different take on things because I was there as a teacher, but I wanted to share pictures and stories from this incredible event with you. It's all here.

(It was also wonderful to meet up with several KR buddies while I was there - hi Shelia, Jen, Kendra, Elizabeth, and anyone else I'm forgetting at this very moment!)

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

LJ
Permanent Resident

USA
1939 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2009 :  8:27:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit LJ's Homepage Send LJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for sharing with us. From everything I've read it sounds like it was a wonderful weekend for everyone.

Linda in Va

My Blog: http://wallisknits.blogspot.com
My Patterns: http://www.eweknitkits.com
Go to Top of Page

knitree
Seriously Hooked

688 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2009 :  9:50:16 PM  Show Profile Send knitree a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is a beautiful post, Clara. I was not there, but you have given me a sense of the event that is truly wonderful. Thanks!

Tree
Taking simple patterns and complicating them...
Go to Top of Page

Braizyn
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2009 :  10:07:07 PM  Show Profile Send Braizyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for that lovely review of Sock Summit 2009. It was truly a fantastic event
Go to Top of Page

~bananaKnits~
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2009 :  11:22:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit ~bananaKnits~'s Homepage  Send ~bananaKnits~ a Yahoo! Message Send ~bananaKnits~ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clara, that was a wonderful article and you did sum up as much as one could the magic that the Sock Summit was. It was very nice to meet you in person and your smiling cheerful cuteness. I felt like it was the knitting world's Woodstock, instead of flowers we were giving each other tiny little socks or "sips" of yarn and lots of smiles and hugs.

Happy Knitting,

ana

http://bananaknits.com/
If you come and visit my blog please leave me a comment, I love comments.
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2366 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2009 :  12:42:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a great time, even though I had to leave town on Saturday and so had to miss the Luminary Panel (there is a rumor that this may be available as a video, hope, hope!) but am consoled with Clara's lovely review hitting its high points.

I was not on the Rav SS09 group, so didn't realize that there was an informal stitch marker exchange going on, but even though I had nothing to offer in return I received a number of lovely stitch markers (Kendra was one giver - thanks, Kendra!) from friends and strangers.

From the moment I walked in on Wednesday, early because I was helping Carolina Homespun set up in the marketplace, I began to see friends from far and wide at the Convention Center. Many of the Portland area locals who had not been involved in the early planning stages put in almost continuous hours from Wednesday through Sunday doing all of the dozens of jobs that made everything run so smoothly. Even folks who didn't have a job came on Wednesday to sit and knit, available if anything needed doing.

It was a lovely event, and I was happy to be able to be there and take a couple of classes. One was with the charming and all-knowing Meg Swanson, who is very modest about her amazing knitting knowledge. I'm not sure if I'll make EZ's Moccasion (sp?) Socks again, but it is a really different and interesting construction that I've not been tempted to make from the description in EZ's book. Worthy of Cat Bordhi!
AND, I now know how to darn socks with a much nicer patch than I've been able to do before. Watch out, sock holes in my future - you're toast!

Shelia
www.letstalkstash.blogspot.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4388 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2009 :  03:30:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the wonderful review, Clara. I'm inspired again -- it's been weeks since I've knit a stitch! And I'm proud that Hedgerow Socks helped make KR a part of the Sock Museum, too!

Jane

Betty needs a warm hat: Support KR
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

frenchknits
New Pal

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2009 :  04:09:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit frenchknits's Homepage Send frenchknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much, Clara, for your article. I've seen pictures here and there on different blogs, but was missing a coherent narrative--which you provided! Thanks again.

http://frenchknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

knisit
New Pal

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2009 :  04:36:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit knisit's Homepage Send knisit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been a lurker on these boards for sometime now, and just joined today to tell Clara how much I enjoyed her article on the summit. I couldn't be there myself and I've read many blogs about it, trying to get the feel of what it must have been like to be there. You did a wonderful job of describing the whole event. Now I'm even more envious.
Go to Top of Page

purlgin
Chatty Knitter

109 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2009 :  05:14:27 AM  Show Profile Send purlgin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a lovely account. I've never knitted a sock, but I wish I'd been there. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Anya
New Pal

15 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2009 :  05:32:11 AM  Show Profile Send Anya a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would have loved to be there in person...through YOU was almost that good!
Go to Top of Page

KnittingBuddy
New Pal

15 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2009 :  05:37:55 AM  Show Profile Send KnittingBuddy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clara,

Of all the descriptions I have read/heard about Sock Summit, yours is head and shoulders above the rest. You don't just rave over everything, but you give a very balanced and detailed perspective on all the events. I could wade through the mania to the reality with your report. Thank you especially for the photos and descriptions of the yarn highlights, and the marvelous quotes at the end of the article - not just about socks. Simply one of the best venue reviews I have read in a long time.

Eileen

Eileen in Maryland
Go to Top of Page

BlueStocking
Sustaining Member

USA
945 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2009 :  05:54:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit BlueStocking's Homepage Send BlueStocking a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clara, you did a wonderful job describing SS09. It really was an amazing event ~ I was constantly amazed with how smoothly it seemed to run (from the outside). It was so well organized, structured and first class in every way ~ from the name tags and booklet to the sign-in ares & classroom set ups, to the market organization, places set up to sit, teacher helpers and quiet lounge for the teachers to rest in. It seems Tina, Stephanie and their team didn't miss a thing. And for an event so large, to have it run so well and smoothly with nary a hitch, at least to the outside observer, is beyond fantastic.

I was there to help in the Carolina Homespun booth as well, and had the pleasure of staying with Shelia and meeting her yaks and sheep. The real pleasure for me was seeing friends I don't usually get to see more than once or twice a year ~ what a bonus to see Clara, Shelia, Kendra, Elizabeth, Lou, Morgaine, Lann, Maia, Brooke and all the others (sorry I know there are more but it's before I've had my tea this morning :-D ), and to meet new friends, too.

I wish I'd seen more of Portland, but that will be another trip!

Thanks for such a wonderful article, as usual. Your newsletters never disappoint.

Jennifer

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?"

Yarns and Rare Spinning Fibers from Spirit Trail Fiberworks: http://www.spirit-trail.net
Blog: http://TheSpiritTrail.blogspot.com
"SpiritTrail" on Flickr and Ravelry

Go to Top of Page

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2009 :  07:11:47 AM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have anything new to add to the above, but...
Thank you!

My pictures
Go to Top of Page

spinningkat
New Pal

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2009 :  07:49:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit spinningkat's Homepage Send spinningkat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a collection of knitting royalty that was assembled! Thanks so much for the description of the event. Some of my yarn went, wish I did. I hope for a repeat next year-but looks like this was such a fantastic event-what would the encore look like?

Kat
Check out news at Scarlet Fleece: www.scarletfleece.com
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2009 :  09:41:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm so glad that you're enjoying the write-up. These kinds of things are journalistic challenges because you have to wade through quite a few personal highs and keep to facts that will be pertinent and interesting to a broader general audience. Plus I wanted to give you a feeling of being there and not just of watching a giant party to which you weren't invited.

(And I knew I forgot some other KR folks spotted during the weekend! Hello to Lou and Ana too!)

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

knotty
Chatty Knitter

228 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2009 :  10:01:38 AM  Show Profile Send knotty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi to Clara, Shelia, Jen, Elizabeth, Chris and other KR buddies I saw.

As usual, Clara has graciously shared the best of the highlights (except maybe the conversion of all bathrooms to all women, and the inclusion of a UPS station for shipping home more than you could carry). Unfortunately, with the exception of the luminaries, the teachers did not get the credit or attention they deserved, so I am here to say, "Here, here!" to people like Clara who shared their knowledge and skills.

All such events, especially first timers, have glitches, and it was nice to have Clara focus on the positives and highlight some notable "indies" who might have gotten lost in the crowds.

Barbara Walker was AMAZING. If you're not a folk/country/bluegrass fan, this won't mean much to you, but listening to her I felt something of the way I felt when I heard Doc Watson play live. Living masters. Maybe you had to be there.

Kendra
Go to Top of Page

~bananaKnits~
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2009 :  10:10:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit ~bananaKnits~'s Homepage  Send ~bananaKnits~ a Yahoo! Message Send ~bananaKnits~ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Each time I write or talk about the Sock Summit I keep repeating how great it was and the details kind of get blurred. It was certainly the best knitting event I've been to and seeing so many familiar faces and visiting with old knitting buddies was wonderful. My head is still there, I still want to talk about it share highlights, pictures and stories.

I mean getting a chance to talk to Barbara Walker one on one and just chit chatting with her was the best. We were staying at the same hotel and her room was right across the hall from mine so I got to see her a lot and ride the elevator and just walk and chit chat with her. Wow. She is amazing!

Happy Knitting,

ana

http://bananaknits.com/
If you come and visit my blog please leave me a comment, I love comments.
Go to Top of Page

PainterWoman
Chatty Knitter

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2009 :  10:13:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit PainterWoman's Homepage Send PainterWoman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Terrific re-cap, Clara... as always. Gives me hope, and an explanation why my hands have been unhappy (along with most of the rest of me): it's been so hot I haven't been knitting.

http://Journal-to-a-muse.blogspot.com
The witty woman is a tragic figure in American life. Wit destroys eroticism and eroticism destroys wit, so women must choose between taking lovers and taking no prisoners. --Florence King
Go to Top of Page

sandyt
Permanent Resident

USA
3101 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2009 :  11:30:39 AM  Show Profile Send sandyt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was so much fun to read all about it. I appreciated the linkies to all of the beautiful yarnies...hmmmm...yup, you're a super-duper enabler!!
Go to Top of Page

LHontz
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2009 :  09:40:00 AM  Show Profile Send LHontz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much for the review Clara -
It is so nice to be able to go to the Summit virtually with your review - I could not go & your review was a good way of seeing what I missed!
Thanks so much!!

Icrochet2
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by