Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 Storage idea for circulars
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2009 :  5:50:53 PM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My daughter told me a great idea for storing circulars. She said to put them into a CD case. Use one of the ones which is a folder of plastic pockets. I thought it a great idea. I am just about to put all of mine into one of them. I might keep a needle guage in there too.

ellensatch@msn.com
Chatty Knitter

256 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2009 :  6:48:19 PM  Show Profile Send ellensatch@msn.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This works very well for me! Especially since I can get them for $1
each at the $ store and can color code them. Try it!
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2009 :  4:45:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a lot of 40" Addi Turbos, and keep them in their ziplock bags. I found a wicker letter holder at The Salvation Army that fits them perfectly. It has two compartments, so single digit sizes go in the front, doubles in back.

ALSO, when I was cleaning my home office, I stumbled upon one of those old floppy-disk totes with a Velcro closure. There were two long pockets stitched down the center to create 4 partitions for 8 floppies. Well, my big, fat dpns needed a place to live and the tote was just the right length. I removed the stitches that made the partitions, and voila! A new use for a redundant thing!

Ceil

Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

maidenengland
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2009 :  04:54:38 AM  Show Profile Send maidenengland a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a great idea, using CD cases for circulars. Thanks, will try it myself.

But my question is: how do you store your straights? I've just sorted mine (well most of them, I know I've got another lot cached somewhere) and discovered I've got 24 pairs from 2mm - 7.5mm, plus six odd assorted, and 14 circulars. My grandmother had a book-like folder with holes in plastic inserts for about 60 cable pins, most of which have gone missing, but I've filled in some of them, so they're arranged fairly well.

Has anybody got a clever idea for keeping the straights sorted?

Thanks, Carol

ps And what do you say when someone says "Oh, I'm down-sizing, and here's something just for you," and presents you with three pairs of needles. I had to say "Oh, thanks very much, I'm sure they'll come in very useful." As if I didn't already have several pairs of those particular sizes. The person who gave them was disappointed that I wasn't over the moon. Now if she'd given me the wool to go with, I'd have been quite pleased.
Go to Top of Page

sjanova
Seriously Hooked

USA
963 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2009 :  09:17:12 AM  Show Profile Send sjanova a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seem to have added to my KnitPicks Harmony collection to the point that their little zipped bag that the set came in is insufficient. So when the school supplies were out late this summer, I got a number of canvas pencil cases at an office supply store -- they have three holes to be used in a binder if you want but they didn't fit too well given the number of pencil cases I needed. I'm using one for each size so I have the tips and DPNs of the same size in one case. I also have separate ones for the different length cables. There's a plastic see-through window on the front (a second pocket) and I slipped a paper with the size on it into that. The canvas is heavy enough that needle tips don't poke through. It made for a whole lot of these (so not an inexpensive solution), but DH found a plastic tub (18 quart size) at Target that fits them pretty well. I've been using these plastic storage boxes for natural fiber yarns (acrylics go in cardboard boxes, mostly) so they'll stack nicely. Since I don't seem to use straights any more, just circs and DPNs, this works for my needs.

The bamboo circs are in a Circular Solution hanging on a door. I didn't want them in these because I don't want them curled -- the cables are too hard to get relaxed. I don't have that concern about the KnitPicks cables, of course. I have to figure out what to do with the bamboo and metal DPNs (could put them in with the Harmonies, I guess?) and straights (hmmm, will I ever use them again? Maybe. Don't know yet.).

sja
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3935 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2009 :  10:04:28 AM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use an accordion folder I bought at Staples. I labeled each section with the needle size (US & mm) and it works great. All my circular needles and dpns are in one folder.

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
Go to Top of Page

knitree
Seriously Hooked

688 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2009 :  9:00:10 PM  Show Profile Send knitree a Private Message  Reply with Quote
all my circs are in a round hatbox. i "test" myself by seeing how many I have to check the size on before finding the correct one (usually i get it right within a couple tries, but not always!).

Tree
Taking simple patterns and complicating them...
Go to Top of Page

Sara Sue
Permanent Resident

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2009 :  10:56:30 PM  Show Profile Send Sara Sue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use "worm binder" pages from Bass Pro or Cabelas. They are plastic ziploc bags (a bit heavier than a ziploc) that are 6 X 8 inches. There are other sizes but I like this one. They have holes punched on the side opposite the opening and I've got two 6 inch rings that hold them together. The strip where the holes are is colored and the bags come in different colors. I've got each bag labeled with the needle type and needle size. They are also color coordinated. All the circular needles are in yellow bags, the dpns in blue, and so on. I've even got my knitspicks options and harmonies stored in these and have a seperate bag for the cables. I then store the whole shebang in a plastic box. I don't use the worm binder itself because I had too many needles. I only bought the refill pages.
Go to Top of Page

gururamdas
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  12:18:55 AM  Show Profile Send gururamdas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i have 3 sets Denise Needles stored in a zippered small clear plastic cosmetic bag.
My other needles (mostly bamboo circs) are in more clear dollar store cosmetic bags sorted by needle size & all these full up a small duffle bag (size of a cat carrier) which sits next to my recliner. Before i got brave enuf to try socks, had few smaller than 7, so used to have 1 bag for small odd & another small even sized needles which made it easier to recogize the size quickly.
Since discovering had 8 size 13s, keep an inventory of needles in my purse to take advantage of JoAnn's & Michael's coupons. Am now on a needle & yarn diet, but like chocolate, am addicted! At least it's a healthy addiction!
Go to Top of Page

KnittingKittens
Chatty Knitter

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  02:57:57 AM  Show Profile Send KnittingKittens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use pretty vases and pitchers, etc. to store my straights. You can arange them by color or length or size or don't "arrange" them at all! I have a few vases in the living room. On the kitchen table as a centerpiece, I use a beautiful cobalt blue square vase that I picked up at a tag sale.
Go to Top of Page

scarfitup
Chatty Knitter

191 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  03:25:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit scarfitup's Homepage Send scarfitup a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I LOVE all these ideas! I too use a heavy-bottomed vase to hold my straights - the ones that are NOT in the bottom of my knitting bag. The ones I use most often live there so they are always with me when i need them. I'm not a fan of circs, so the few I have live in a drawer in my studio in a circular plastic container I found somewhere. Not very creative or terribly organized, but it works for me!

Scarf It Up!
http://scarf-it-up.blogspot.com
http://flickr.com/photos/scarfitup
http://scarfitup.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

crc532
New Pal

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  04:24:09 AM  Show Profile Send crc532 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last year I bought (at least) 15 clear pencil cases and put all needles of the same size in one case. I marked each case with the size. I just put them all in a Longaberger basket which I keep close by. It works amazingly well. Of course, that was before I bought the Knitpicks interchangeables - haven't dealt with that yet, but I can still put the tips in and have a separate sleeve for the cables. The cases are relatively inexpensive if you get them at Wal-Mart. Can't remember where I picked them up, but they were not more than $1.50.

crc
Go to Top of Page

crc532
New Pal

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  04:26:22 AM  Show Profile Send crc532 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oops, looks like Sara Sue and I do a similar thing. I just put all the same size needles (straight, circular, and DPN's) in one case.

crc
Go to Top of Page

LHontz
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  04:52:44 AM  Show Profile Send LHontz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Isn't it fun to know that so many people have great ideas about the same things we are all concerned about!
I bought a clear plastic shoe holder that fits over the top of my door. I store my circulars in this. One pair for each pocket with an index card that tells the size and length of the needle. I put my DPN's in the big bottom pocket - they are rubberbanded together in sizes with a tag that tells their size. Another big pocket holds my Denise needles and case. I use big glass bottles (Starbuck frappacunio) for my straights and have them in my window - they are so pretty! I love to decorate my room with my tools!

Icrochet2
Go to Top of Page

cmerril44
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  05:23:12 AM  Show Profile Send cmerril44 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grand-moogi

My daughter told me a great idea for storing circulars. She said to put them into a CD case. Use one of the ones which is a folder of plastic pockets. I thought it a great idea. I am just about to put all of mine into one of them. I might keep a needle guage in there too.

Go to Top of Page

cmerril44
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  05:31:08 AM  Show Profile Send cmerril44 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I do is use bread storage containers from Wal-Mart (14") to hold my straight needles. At present, all my straight needles are in 2 containers according to size, but if I had more, obviously 2 would not be enough. For my circulars and dp and crochet hooks, I use a 3" ring binder (I actually use 2 as I outgrew 1) with plastic zippered pencil holders for each size. Each pencil holder is marked with the needle size. In the pocket in front of the binder I keep a needle sizer so I can tell where to put stray needles. When I set up this system, I was amazed how many size 5 (say) dps I had, that were all in the bottom of a yarn box.

The price is minimal -- $1 for each pencil holder, plus $3-4 for the binders.

I was so thrilled to find this system. I like it better than any other I have ever seen. The one disadvantage of the 3-ring binder is that when it is full, it is quite heavy. That's why I divided my needles into 2 books.
Go to Top of Page

KnitChaos
New Pal

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  05:58:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit KnitChaos's Homepage  Send KnitChaos a Yahoo! Message Send KnitChaos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I keep my straights in a lovely old fashion milk pitcher on my craft nook desk and my circs in a ceramic flower vase. Decorative and functional. :D

~ KnitChaos a.k.a. Amy

"Burn the land & boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me!"
Go to Top of Page

DebbiOH
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
525 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  06:21:27 AM  Show Profile Send DebbiOH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everyone has such clever ideas. I'm not as organized as most. I put all my straights in crystal vases, and my double pointed in different color vases and they are spread around the house. I love to walk into the living room and spy a few needles poking out from under the lamp, sitting prettily, waiting for me to pluck them out and use them. My circs I leave in the carry case they came in and it works just fine. This topic was fun.

~Debbi~NW Ohio
Go to Top of Page

pmcgrath
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  06:39:42 AM  Show Profile Send pmcgrath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I store my circular needles in there orginal packaging and put them in plastic sleeves and place in a small pouch which has 2 ring holders like a 3 ring binder but only 2 rings. They are place in according to size small to large. Keeps everything neat
Go to Top of Page

sharecropper
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  07:06:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit sharecropper's Homepage Send sharecropper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I, too, use the worm wallets for my circulars, but Wal-Mart no longer carries them, and I have trouble finding them. I learned to knit on circulars and have very, very few straights. And, since I learned how to use two doubles instead of dpns, I don't buy dpns any longer.
Like another poster, my interchangeables are outgrowing their kit.
Go to Top of Page

askem1728
New Pal

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  07:32:42 AM  Show Profile Send askem1728 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use a 182g Pringles ( potato chip )can that I wiped out. Once emptied. For my long straight needles and a regular size can for my smaller or shorter needles. You could also use it for crochet hooks or some of your smaller odder shaped cable needles, double points would fit too.

your only as old as you feel.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.81 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.