Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Crochet Talk
 Crochet technique questions
 Weaving the Tails is Not Enough
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

zknit08
Chatty Knitter

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  3:38:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit zknit08's Homepage Send zknit08 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Weaving-in the tails of yarn within crochet stitches works fine with non worsted acrylic yarns. The tails stay hidden indeed but when crocheting worsted yarn of any weight, the ends of the yarn always manage to come out of hiding forming a fuzz like a short horse's tail on the surface of a finished garment or accessory. To remedy this, After I weave the tails 6 to 10 stitches, I tie the very end of the tails 2 or 3 more times before I clip off next to the last knot then hide or pull these knots back within the stitches to hide them. The extra knots at the very end prevent the tails from slipping out and coming out of hiding.

Happy Crocheting,

zknit

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  05:48:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a great idea! Thanks...

PAM

WIP = Socks (knit), Sweater (knit), Entrelac Scarf (tunisian crochet)
YTD: Shadow Jacket (crochet), Snowflake Sweater (knit), Round Ripple Afghan (crochet), Socks (knit - 2 pairs), Cot'n Corn Eyelet Rib Top (knit), Crochet Hook Bag (Double Crochet), Charity 12" Squares for Project Linus (knit), Armenius Sweater (knit)

Twitter Name = WildKnitter

If I could only do this for a living...
Go to Top of Page

Katheroni
Permanent Resident

USA
1407 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  11:09:57 AM  Show Profile Send Katheroni a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could maybe have used that with the knitted baby blanket I did for my son out of CottonEase (cotton/acrylic blend). I ended up splitting each tail, weaving it in for a long way, and then using fraycheck at the very end. Or some type of fabric glue, can't remember. The glue leaves a tiny little hard spot, and a knot would be less offensive. Thanks for the idea.
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  1:50:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yikes, no knots!

Instead, try >darning< the ends in. Use a darning needle to >split< the plies of the yarn. Do this down the center of a few stitches, then give a gentle stretch in that spot to help the tail settle in before cutting. Ply-splitting will hold the tails fast.

Ceil

Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  07:02:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ceil ~ interesting you should say "Yikes, no knots!", and I agree. This morning's Creative Knitting email newsletter contained a section on Knots vs. No Knots. Seems that currently this can be a hotly debated issue and enough to almost start fights in some live groups.

I was taught "no knots in yarn" by my crocheting grandmother when I was learning to knit. she showed me how to weave the ends into the back of the fabric in a circle that kept them tight and said if I had a difficult yarn to use the method splitting the plies of the yarn being woven in and taking the ends in different directions. that way they won't come undone and if any tiny ends try to poke out, they are much smaller and less noticeable.

Now that I crochet too, I find it much easier to weave ends into crochet than into knitting.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass ...
.....it's learning how to dance in the rain!
Come visit me at http://yarnbasket.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

zknit08
Chatty Knitter

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  12:42:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit zknit08's Homepage Send zknit08 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is no need to fight over knots or other issues, common sense must prevail in all things that we do. I certainly would not tie a knot that falls in the middle of the sole of a sock. If press between the choice of my work falling apart because of tugging and pulling (such as in baby blanket)and the presence of a hidden knot, I would choose the latter. Sewing the ends is a good idea also. I have not tried this technique and I'm going to try this, however, I don't know how well this would hold the ends of yarn when a garment or accessory is somewhat stretched during wear.

Happy Crocheting,

zknit
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  8:36:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The key to darning in ends is to gently stretch the fabric where the tail passes through the plies so that the tail can hold fast when the garment is worn. I've had great success darning in ends on socks. And btw, I learned how to darn ends from "Simple Socks, Plain and Fancy" by Priscilla Gibson-Roberts. Take a look there for how-to.

When a piece will be felted, I weave the ends rather than darn them, because they'll be secured by shrinkage.

Ceil

Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

zknit08
Chatty Knitter

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2009 :  08:14:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit zknit08's Homepage Send zknit08 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great idea Ceil, thank you. Maybe, when darning the ends through the plies it would be a good idea to sort of zig-zag through the length of the tails instead of strait sewing, this would create flexibility along the length of the tail ends.

Happy Crocheting,

Zknit
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2009 :  1:29:48 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I split plies and run those through their neighborhood roads, too. Acrylic (and cotton) is so notoriously unsticky but this usually stays put in hundreds of washings.

All the ideas here are interesting and worth a try. The little knots thing after weaving through the plies sounds like it works out well. Hmmm. Time to experiment.

My Blog @ Zippiknits
Knitting@ Flicker
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.