Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 Your favorite way to join circulars?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

reteng
Warming Up

74 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2009 :  10:20:42 AM  Show Profile Send reteng a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the biggest lessons I've learned since I took up knitting seriously is that there are often many ways to a accomplish the same thing. My question concerns joining two circulars after casting on. Charlene Schurch just says to start knitting and the join takes care of itself. Cat Bordhi suggests casting on one extra and knitting two together to join. Other books use the "switch one stitch from one needle to the other" approach. I've tried all three, but since there's so much experience on this forum, I 'm wondering which way you prefer?

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1346 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2009 :  12:15:41 PM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually do the switch the first and last stitches thing. But sometimes i just leave it as is and smooth it out when I weave in the end. It just depends on your personal preferences.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Signature? Who needs a signature?
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2009 :  1:10:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just start knitting =)

You can't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon.
Blackstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

susanh
New Pal

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2009 :  5:31:12 PM  Show Profile Send susanh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I cast on one extra and slip it to the working needle and knit those first 2 stitches together.
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2009 :  6:01:49 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually cast on an extra stitch and do the knit two together bit.

When I'm really lazy, I cast on the number of stitches called for in the pattern and knit the second row straight. I join on the third round and use the tail to do a mini-seam when I'm done with the sock. This method makes it easier to not twist the stitches when you join the round.

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

Mocha
Permanent Resident

Singapore
2903 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2009 :  7:42:12 PM  Show Profile Send Mocha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reminder. I had been wanting to try Cat Bordhi's suggestion but forgot (yes, you can guess my answer, I just knit straight).
Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1681 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2009 :  04:14:05 AM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used to just start knitting, but I have taken to switching the first and last stitches. I find this method eliminates that "ladder" that often results with just knitting.
judy
Go to Top of Page

Lelani
Permanent Resident

USA
2005 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  08:23:54 AM  Show Profile Send Lelani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually do the first and last stitch thing as well. Seems to work well

Lelani

"I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today." White
Go to Top of Page

fwshorty
Chatty Knitter

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  08:31:04 AM  Show Profile Send fwshorty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just start knitting. I've tried switching the first and last stitches, but I find it tricky and usually end up stretching the stitches too much so it comes out worse!

Eileen
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  6:24:00 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I cast on one extra and knit the first and last together at the beginning.

Well, duh, yes some one did mention that little close the last stitch thing..

My Blog @ Zippiknits
Knitting@ Flicker
Go to Top of Page

mertle
Permanent Resident

USA
1732 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  12:35:54 AM  Show Profile Send mertle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I cast on one extra stitch. After making sure my stitches are not twisted, I move the extra stitch to my right needle and pass my first stitch (actually my initial slip knot) over it. Then I turn my knitting (or sometimes not), place my center marker, and take off knitting. Works like a charm!

Later when weaving ends, sometimes I'll even untie that slip knot and weave in. Depends on how things look. When I'm really lucky, I can't even tell where I began.

(This is not original with me. I read it here on KR somewhere a long while back.)

Marilyn
My Bags
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.