Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 I love the buttons
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2009 :  06:33:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish we had buttons on the bottom of posts. I've become spoiled with them on Ravelry and so many times on KR I want to push agree, interesting, funny, love or WTF. OK, WTF is not available but it could be very useful.

If you like the buttons and if they were ever added to KR (some people don't like the buttons and actually take the disagree button personally) what is the button that you think is missing?

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4388 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2009 :  09:49:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't really like the buttons at Ravelry -- it's too easy to click and run, without ever having to become a real part of the discussion. I don't take the disagrees personally, but I do think they're a cop-out.

I like the way we do it here. If we have a comment, we make it, and (I hope) stand by it. And if we have something nice to say, isn't it better to share it with the community? I'd rather spread the love.

Jane

Betty needs a warm hat: Support KR
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2009 :  11:44:51 AM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well said, Jane!

M L
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2009 :  10:19:46 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lol GFTC. And here I thought this was about real buttons. I just found five gold buttons that someone sent me a long LONG time ago, so I have buttons on my mind.

Well, I still want the Love button. pretty Please? And the WTF button might be a little handy, too.

Yes, it's hard to understand those fly by buttonings, and Jane, we should stand by our disagree buttons or not push them. *pushes the agree button*

My Blog @ Zippiknits
Knitting@ Flicker
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2009 :  10:28:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Frankly, I'm sort of tired of Ravelry constantly being referenced everywhere else on the online knitworld, as if it's some gold standard that everyone else should emulate. Yes, Ravelry is great. OK. We get it.

"I'm telling you, we're in a M. Night Shyamalan flick."
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2009 :  11:21:07 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is part of the knitting world, and it has it's flaws. I think KR is pretty perfect and can stand out for itself.

I also think that it's ok to discuss Ravelry here, and refer to pages from it here. We talk about Knitty. And Rav is just like a huge reference library of patterns, but didn't we pretty much think it would be that way when it was first started to emerge?

I guess I just pushed the disagree button? And you know I loves you Amanda.

My Blog @ Zippiknits
Knitting@ Flicker
Go to Top of Page

mertle
Permanent Resident

USA
1734 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2009 :  05:47:36 AM  Show Profile Send mertle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL, Lella, I thought the same thing about real buttons!

Our little smilies on KR are fairly expressive, but two that I sorely miss are the "HA HA" button (sometime you're just laughing harder than the big grin we have now) and the rolling eyes button (usually used it for self criticism).

A "Why in the world would you think anyone would even care about that?" smilie wouldn't be friendly at all, but there are times ...

Marilyn
My Bags
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2009 :  11:38:27 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hahaha I loved that little smilie, too, Marilyn. And that is a good one for the "Why in the world..." topics. heeheehee

My Blog @ Zippiknits
Knitting@ Flicker
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2009 :  3:53:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sometimes I'll explain why I clicked what I did (especially on a disagree - "phantom disagreers" can be irritating sometimes), but often (especially with an agree or a love), I don't think it needs more explanation than that. I love the idea of a "wtf?!" button, too!

I do catch myself wanting to click "agree" or "disagree" or whatever here sometimes, but then I remember what site I'm on and it's fine. Ravelry and KR are both excellent sites and both have their strengths. Honestly, Ravelry is great for pattern, project and yarn research, networking (finding regional groups is nice), and a lot of non-knitting chatter, but for honest, practical, good knitting advice, KR is where I come!

You can't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon.
Blackstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

Panhandle Jane
Seriously Hooked

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2009 :  06:29:10 AM  Show Profile Send Panhandle Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was also opening this topic because I was looking for real buttons for a sweater. I never use the buttons on Ravelry, probably because I'm not in any groups there except those that are pretty much devoted to the "business" of whatever the group is. If side topics start up, I tend to leave the group and go to another choice (goodness knows, there are plenty) where I can keep from wasting my time.

Blog--http:\\www.panhandleknitandsew.blogspot.com
Ravelry--panhandlejane

Go to Top of Page

counterculture
Gabber Extraordinaire

453 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2009 :  5:58:32 PM  Show Profile Send counterculture a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Ravelry and KR are both excellent sites and both have their strengths. Honestly, Ravelry is great for pattern, project and yarn research, networking (finding regional groups is nice), and a lot of non-knitting chatter, but for honest, practical, good knitting advice, KR is where I come!" Well said, kadiddly!

For the most part, I use the Ravelry forums to to keep up on local stuff - certain geographies, and LYS. So, while I find the buttons handy, I don't feel the need to use them much.

One of my Ravelry groups is also my weekly knitting group. It's the most terrific group of delightful and intelligent knitters. Occasionally, we've abused the buttons to have disagreements. Then we've had to remind each other and out the button pushers who don't comment. It's been quite amusing.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.62 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe