Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Berroco Vintage Wool
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  7:05:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's neither vintage, nor is it pure wool. But it is a pretty convincing new synthetic/wool blend substitute that I review this week. To whet the ole appetite...

A great and often heated debate exists between those knitters who like acrylic blends and those who don't. Much of that debate has actually been fueled by blends that simply don't live up to their potential.

I personally have a strong preference for natural fibers. When knitting for myself, that's all I'll use. But I also have great respect for the power of the blend. Sometimes—whether for durability or economy or practicality—it just makes sense to use a less expensive, easy-care yarn. Not everybody can afford to spend large sums of money on yarn for every project; and not every project should be knit in yarns that require careful feeding.

........ full review

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  8:34:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to try this yarn. It appears to be a marriage of Encore worsted and Cascade 220 Superwash which I find appealing for certain items that need to be indestructibly machine wash/machine dry. Other than sock yarn I normally avoid any yarn that has nylon content but I would give this new yarn a shot.

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

kniterarian
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  01:45:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit kniterarian's Homepage Send kniterarian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Clara, for reviewing an affordable workhorse yarn! The look of this yarn reminded me of Berroco's Ultra Alpaca. The heather shades look really similar to each other. The feel isn't the same, but Vintage Wool is pretty soft.

xo, Annie
http://kniterarian.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  05:59:04 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It has been a long time since I sent my first email to Clara pointing out that acrylics exist. (she had a poll on favorite yarn fibers and did not even include synthetics of any kind) Even longer before she reviewed a yarn containing it.

Using the word acrylic to replace naughty words in the forums was a low blow but I swallowed my pride and remained faithful to KR.

All I want is a review of an acrylic yarn. That would say that people who are allergic to wool do exist and deserve nice yarns too. In the meantime, I prefer acrylic, cotton blends and alpaca but everything deserves at least one champion.

C'mon, Clara, I saw God this January and I may not have much time left.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CrazyforEwe
Chatty Knitter

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  06:15:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit CrazyforEwe's Homepage Send CrazyforEwe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps a review of Berroco Comfort Worsted would be nice. I own a yarn shop, and tend to prefer merino, but for the reasons you mention, Fran, it's nice to have a synthetic. I've been extremely impressed with Comfort - it makes no attempt to look like wool, rather it has a very smooth, bouncy hand and knits up easily. So far the swatch we've had around the shop has been washed (and not gently) dried (in the machine) and petted by all, and has shown very little wear - that's the chunky version, so I suspect the worsted weight would wear even better.

Ellen

www.ellensprojects.blogspot.com
www.crazyforewe.com
www.crazyforewe.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LHontz
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  06:23:15 AM  Show Profile Send LHontz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much for the review. I love the language of yarn talk!!!
I will be looking for this fiber at my LYS.
Thanks

Icrochet2
Go to Top of Page

jmberube
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  07:41:55 AM  Show Profile Send jmberube a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would be interested in knowing how many knots you ran across. Any insight you can provide would be appreciated. I recently used Berrocco Comfort to knit three prayer shawls and was very frustrated by the number of knots. One skein had 4 knots!. I also bought their pima cotton for a project and ran into the same issue. I decided to scrap the project and will return the yarn.
Jean
Go to Top of Page

peggity
Chatty Knitter

USA
116 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  08:59:05 AM  Show Profile Send peggity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Clara for the review of Berroco Vintage Wool. I'm always on the lookout for yarns that are soft for baby and easy-care for the mommy. I've not been surprised to find that I can't depend on a harried mommy to follow any kind of delicate care recommendation. Therefore, softness for the baby is number one on my list, machine wash and potential ability to survive a tumble in the dryer is number two. Number three, however, is a difficult quest - finding a blend that doesn't pill. The Berroco Vintage Wool sounds like it has this problem. You reviewed an Australian yarn, Heirloom Easy Care 8-ply, on 5/24/2001. Although you didn't like the easy-to-snag cable construction, you reported that it survived several rigorous wash cycles without degrading or pilling. I'm awaiting an order of the Heirloom for knitting a romper for our new grandson due in October. Thanks for your detailed reports - you are such a great resource for me -- and keep checking out the mommy and baby-friendly blends!
Peggy

~Peggy~
Colorado-USA
My Photos: http://www.Ravelry.com/people/peggity/
Go to Top of Page

Schaeferyarnlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

513 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  09:51:00 AM  Show Profile Send Schaeferyarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to know how an actual garment made from Vintage wool holds up to washing-machine knitting. I made a summer sweater with acrylic (not a blend) and once I washed it, the sweater lost all form and is now unwearable. It became very limp.
Go to Top of Page

BeckiB
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2009 :  12:30:51 PM  Show Profile Send BeckiB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The issue pertinent to me regarding working with blends is that I live in the southeastern U.S. This means only two months (Jan., Feb.) out of 12 when wearing my beloved Malabrigo or any other Merino is possible and that's only outside! May through October is short sleeve or sleeveless cotton/linen fabric weather. Blends, including those with acrylic, supply a bit of elasticity to cotton/linen/bamboo and provide more opportunity to keep my needles busy.
Go to Top of Page

Panhandle Jane
Seriously Hooked

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2009 :  07:18:11 AM  Show Profile Send Panhandle Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also prefer natural fibers, but I do like blends for certain things. I knitted Wallabies for the 4 grandchildren last year from Plymouth Encore, and they have washed, dried, and worn beautifully. Toddler moms with full-time jobs don't have time to spend special-laundering a hoodie that has to be laundered often.

I am another who would like to see some reviews of acrylics as well. I have some charity knitting that must be done in that fiber for laundering/sanitation reasons--they specify--and I'm always looking for a better product.

Blog--http:\\www.panhandleknitandsew.blogspot.com
Ravelry--panhandlejane

Go to Top of Page

Katheroni
Permanent Resident

USA
1407 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2009 :  12:21:37 PM  Show Profile Send Katheroni a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for reviewing a less expensive yarn, Clara!
Go to Top of Page

knits_for_preemies
Permanent Resident

USA
1957 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2009 :  2:37:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit knits_for_preemies's Homepage Send knits_for_preemies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Amen, Panhandle Jane. I do lots of charity knitting (and my knitting group as well)... we are always on the look out for good, soft acrylic or acrylic blend of some type...for reasons you mentioned as well as economy...we supply much of the yarn ourselves.

Right now we are working on Christmas hats for our local hospital nursery (we have time now to knit them and will save them until December when we will give them to the hospital). Fall of the year is so busy for us that it is hard to get enough little hats knit up at that time. I found I Love This Yarn Sport (Hobby Lobby) in lovely Christmas colors. It is very soft and so far is knitting up great.

Barbara

Ravelry Name: KnitsForPreemies

www.southernfriedknittin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knittingbox@yahoo.com
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2009 :  7:21:35 PM  Show Profile Send knittingbox@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Based on Clara's review, it seems like buying Cascade 220 superwash on sale is a much better solution.
Go to Top of Page

mcmircle
New Pal

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2009 :  7:54:03 PM  Show Profile Send mcmircle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clara, I think perhaps you were too kind. This yarn splits like crazy. Bamboo needles help a tad. A friend helped me wind the hanks using her swift and winder, and the yarn stuck to itself (not the swift). There were knots in several hanks, sometimes more than one.
When I tried larger needles,my swatch unraveled seconds after binding off.
I'm really disappointed.
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2009 :  06:21:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought the Vintage Wool in navy blue to make a hat for my son. When I took it out of the bag in my living room the sun hit it and the yarn actually sparkled. I suppose it was the nylon content or whatever acrylic they used. Needless to say I didn't wind it and returned it to the store in exchange for Cascade 220 Superwash which I love.

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

msgb
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
531 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  12:39:18 PM  Show Profile Send msgb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am using this right now instead of Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Bulky . I am using it doubled. I love the feel of it as it glides through my hands as I knit.
Go to Top of Page

RipKo
Chatty Knitter

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  8:08:52 PM  Show Profile Send RipKo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just made a hat for my 10-year old son with this yarn. He picked out the first skein at the LYS and loved the color and feel of it. I received a second skein in my KR retreat bag that coordinated with the first skein. I made a two-color hat and didn't have a chance to bath it before my son's Cascade 220 Superwash hat could be found. He said the hat from Vintage Wool was itchy and refuses to wear it. What? I couldn't believe it. The yarn felt soft in the skein and when I was knitting with it. I didn't run across any tangles or knots, and enjoyed the process. I have enough yarn left over to make another hat for the next "tester" before I decide if I'll buy the yarn for another item.

-Dawn

<:0)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.