Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 Tales of Woe and Deceit
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Clara
queen bee

USA
4401 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  09:52:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello there!

I'm collecting tales of sock yarn woe and deceit in preparation for my class at the Sock Summit. Have you ever been betrayed by your sock yarn? I would love to know more about the experience - which yarn, which pattern, which needles, and how the whole thing fell apart. Was it on the needles, in the wash, or on your foot?

I realize it can be painful to revisit these things, so I'll kick it off with my own story: I once bought two skeins of yarn to complete two socks. I knit the first one from one skein, ending with just a few leftover yards. Then I knit the second one with the second skein. So far so good.

Until I held the socks next to one another and noticed that the socks were TOTALLY DIFFERENT SIZES.

Same yarn, same color, same everything. How could this be??

I looked more closely at the label (it was one of those industrial German sock yarns) and realized that I had knit sibling socks out of two different gauges of yarn. Somehow they'd been tossed in the same bin and I didn't notice or think to check.

Whew, I feel better getting that off my chest.

What about you?

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4379 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  10:34:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish I could help you, Clara, but all my sock yarn is exquisite, and every sock I knit is Perfection itself!

Jane

Betty needs a warm hat: Support KR
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4401 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  11:06:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good point. Perhaps I should have made this anonymous...

Clara
Your friendly and oh so infallible Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

noallatin
Chatty Knitter

278 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  12:17:25 PM  Show Profile Send noallatin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I made some socks of the early Flat Feet (Cojoined Creations) yarn. It was a beautiful mix of brown, orange and green, real autumn colors. Now, after a few washings (both Eucalan and the machine) they still fit just fine but they've faded like the aging quarterback going after the fifty yard pass half a field away.
Go to Top of Page

queen of the east
Seriously Hooked

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  1:56:05 PM  Show Profile Send queen of the east a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last fall I knit myself a pair of socks from Fleece Artist 100% merino sock weight yarn. The colour way was a scrumptious red/burgundy and the pattern was from Cat Bordhi's New Pathways fpr Sock Knitters Book 1. I really loved these socks, I derived a great deal of pleasure each time I gazed down at my feet. My tootsies were ecstatic to be cocooned in such sensuous beauty.
After a few weeks I noticed a thin area on the outside edge of the sock near the little toe. I got out the leftover yarn and darned the area before it became a hole. During the next 3 months I discovered more holes in the making and dutifully darned them as well. After 6 months I had darned the socks at least a dozen times. The foot area had more darned areas than original yarn. I finally threw my beloved socks out after just 7 months of wear. Boo-hoo.
I didn't wear the socks every day and I am not as a rule hard on my socks. This was the first time I used a sock yarn without nylon and I knit them on 2mm to make sure they were tightly knit. Maybe I got a "lemon"skein, All of the other skeins of this yarn in my stash will become mittens, hats or scarves.
I did find another sock yarn (with some nylon content) in a similar colourway and I plan to knit the same pattern again. Someday.

Ann in Montreal
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  3:15:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit a particular pair of socks in a lace pattern with Lorna's. When they were done and I was done admiring them I threw them in the washing machine with other socks & then the dryer. I took them out slightly damp and slid them on a pair of sock blockers to finish drying so they would look pretty in my drawer (dedicated sock knitters are often nuts). Imagine my surprise when one sock fit perfectly on the blocker and the other was way too long. Counting the repeats on the foot I found that I had one too many repeats on one sock. I had to de-kitchener and frog and refinish the sock.

Could that story be any more boring? Sorry, Clara, I'm of no help in this dept.

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

socker
Chatty Knitter

258 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  5:18:05 PM  Show Profile Send socker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought a beautiful colorway of On Your Toes Bamboo. I'd used their DK weight and their wool/nylon blends and loved knitting with them, so, I started making a pair of socks for my can't wear wool MIL. All I can say is, I'm glad I started them at the toes, because they became a pair of shorty socks. And the worst thing is, my MIL loves that pair more than any of the others I've knit her, and she wants another pair.

Then there is the skein of Berrocco Comfort Sox that the puppy thought made a wonderful toy. Right after he had dined on one of husbeast's blueberry waffle socks.
Go to Top of Page

Coolj
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  5:33:23 PM  Show Profile Send Coolj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the Yarn Market at Knitters' Connection, I fell in love with a sample sock made in the Mermaid pattern from Lucy Neatby's Cool Socks, Warm Feet. I have a sock yarn stash of astronomical (some would argue asinine) proportions and knew I'd find the perfect, colorful yarn from among the skeins. I selected Jojoland's Melody, located the book and launched into the pattern.

It's only six stitches, so how could I encounter a problem with such a simple pattern? In my hands, the pattern is tight, tight, tight, and the yarn split without compunction.

I believe yarn should have a conscience or at least be loyal to the knitter. Not Melody! She refused to let go of the needle. I was working over 72 stitches, and I wasn't sure it would fit a third grader with skinny legs! After probably four inches, I frogged the entire cuff.

When I calmed down, I apologized to Melody for attempting to arrange a marriage to the wrong pattern. Her stubbornness has not made me dislike her at all. She's quite beautiful but suited for a much looser pattern. Mermaid will work better for me in a nice sportweight, and today I bought a 330-yard skein of Sarah-Dyed in Deep Rainbow. The yarn is rounder, so it shouldn't split so badly.

Lucy Neatby recommends the knitter swatch this pattern, but did I? Heck no! I've made loads of socks and become rather arrogant about swatching. However, Melody gave me my comeuppance, and I will not make that mistake again.
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3458 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  8:00:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My first hiccup was not so much the yarn's fault as my ignorance. I knitted a pair of socks in Vesper hand-wash merino and started wearing them as soon as I finished. Either it was my sweaty feet or the friction in my winter boots but the sole of the socks felted! After posting on KR about it, I learned that some people like felted soles :)

My second hiccup has to do with swatching like Coolj's story. The yarn was Blue Moon Fiber Arts' Seduction and I used Ann Budd's pattern especially for this yarn. Did I swatch? No, because I never swatch for socks! So the socks came out a little too big, because the tencel was not very "springy" and "stretchy". They're good lounge socks but fall a little on my ankles.
Go to Top of Page

MindyO
Permanent Resident

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  01:45:18 AM  Show Profile Send MindyO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My very first pair was an experience. I used tofutsies. Splits like crazy! Knowing this I still bought more because once you get it knit up it is very soft. But after fixing many, many split stitches along the way I finally gave up in some case and just left them. The yarn also seems to relax and grow a bit when washed. The socks fit tight (yes I swatched-15% neg. ease) the whole time I was making them. Once washed the cuff refuses to stay up, the twisted rib stitch I did doesn't hold snug, the short row heel pulls really badly across my ankle bend. I guess it's not a good heel for my foot.

Mom's birthday socks, only complaint (aside from taking 6 months) I was using Great Adirondack Silky Sock. Two skeins, one sock from each, same dyelot so the color matches, but the color runs must have been different because the socks looked different. One sock had a more diagonal appearance to the color changes, the other more of a vetical stripe.

And the last socks I was just plain old unobservant and dumb. Chose a stitch from Favorite Socks, but I didn't notice the difference between / and \. So I k2tog where I should have ssk. It was consistent throughout (consistently wrong) I finally noticed an inch from the end of sock 2.

My Ravelry
My Flickr
My Facebook
Go to Top of Page

debshaver@gmail.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  04:35:41 AM  Show Profile Send debshaver@gmail.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I once knit a pair of Old Shale socks in two colors: a beautiful Opal yarn leftover from another project for the cuffs and toes, and the rest from Baby Ull because someone told me it is so soft and wonderful for socks. It IS soft, but does not hold up with wear!I got so many compliments on those socks because they were so beautiful to look at and feel, but I think I may have worn them three times or so before I had a big hole in the heel. I don't know how to darn, though I tried, so they are now sitting in the bottom of my drawer - I don't have the heart to throw them out!
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  05:35:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it may not help now, but it is my understanding that if you walk into a room of sock knitters and ask "has any used Mini Mochi and do you like it?" you'll get lots of horror stories. I have some but haven't used it yet.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass ...
.....it's learning how to dance in the rain!
Come visit me at http://yarnbasket.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Mirl56
Chatty Knitter

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  05:57:16 AM  Show Profile Send Mirl56 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought some sock yarn at E-Bay - 2 different colorways from the same person, enough for 2 pairs. Hand dyed, so beautiful. I knew it was 100% wool and would need special hand washing. No wories, I was up for it. I knit one pair and loved them. Dutifully hand washed and air-dryed each time I wore them. Didn't take too long for them to wear a honkin' big hole at the ball of one foot - and just the wearing of them caused them to felt more then I liked.

I will never again use sock yarn that isn't machine washable and have some nylon or soemthing in it to help them wear longer.

I still have the other colorway, approx 100 g of it but haven't come up with something else to knit it into.
Go to Top of Page

BristolTalladega
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  05:58:43 AM  Show Profile Send BristolTalladega a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I picked up some Tofutsies to make "summer socks". I knit all our socks but had moved south and thought less wool might be cooler. The sock fit well and was comfortable but after 3 wearings there was a big hole in the ball of the foot of one. I pitched them and now have a lifetime supply of yarn to use for provisional castons!
Go to Top of Page

MEnck96@aol.com

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  06:06:08 AM  Show Profile Send MEnck96@aol.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh No! Those were my first words when I took off my beautiful socks and found a hole under the heel. This was Noro, as most of us know, there is a bit of thick and thin going on in their yarns. Obviously, this leaves a rather thin spot in the knitted item. I love those socks. The colors were just awesome. Actually, that is the thing Noro has going for it more than any other.

I had washed the socks. They came thru with a very nice settling in of the stitches. They felt so good on my feet as if they were wrapped in a baby blankee. Now, what to do? I have not tried to mend them since I feared that this would just happen again. Guess I will and save them for bed socks. Sad that no one will see them but me.

I have some more Noro sock yarn that I bought at the same time and I will probably just use it to make a hat. Unless I start trying to stand on my head, maybe no holes will appear.
Go to Top of Page

baldocchi
Chatty Knitter

198 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  07:37:50 AM  Show Profile Send baldocchi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last year, after a particularly messy yarn vomit episode, I vowed to wind all my yarn into balls before use. A few months ago I decided to attempt to knit 4 socks-at-a-time on magic loop (a dare from a dear deceased knitting pal) with a couple of sets of Paton self-striping sock yarn from my stash. Imagine my horror when I found a KNOT 2/3s of the way through one ball. Because it is self-striping, I tried to match the pattern. No way, no how could I match it. I tried every which way but loose. I had the yarn strung out across the living room and dining room and still no obvious match. I think I would have popped a vessel if I had found this knot 2/3s of the way through this project!!!

Of course I didn't have the receipt from Michael's so I couldn't return the yarn. So all this yarn will become fingerless gloves. Fortunately I volunteer at a White Elephant Sale that requires long hours of work in an unheated warehouse. Even in northern CA it gets cold enough that we want something to keep warm and fingerless gloves are ideal so a lot of my volunteer pals will be getting some for Christmas this year!

But I won't be buying Paton sock yarn again. Just don't want to take the chance and there are so many other great yarns out there.

I will, however, wind every single ball of yarn before starting a project forevermore!

Nicole

If we don't get there together, we won't get there at all.
Go to Top of Page

housegecko
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  07:39:59 AM  Show Profile Send housegecko a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I saw a lovely pair of socks in Smooshy at a LYS, kind of magenta and pale blue all mixed up. I bought the color, because it's MY kind of color, and knitted up my socks. To my dismay, mine did not have "all mixed up" colors, but pooled heavily throughout both socks. They're OK, and I won't toss them in the trash, but they sure don't look like I expected (and wanted!)
Go to Top of Page

msbeader
New Pal

12 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  07:46:01 AM  Show Profile Send msbeader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've had very good results from all my sock yarns so this may be OT. Fifty six years ago I knit my husband a pair of socks with a surfer design knit in. Even used angora for the wave. I chose this design because he was a surfer. He never wore the socks and would not even try them on.
Go to Top of Page

longhairedspider
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  10:32:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit longhairedspider's Homepage Send longhairedspider a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought a skein of Smooshy to make lacy ankle socks. I wore them about 4 or 5 times on special occasions only, and they never showed any signs of wear or thinning out. One day last August I went to put them on...put my left foot in the sock, pulled up the cuff and my foot went right through the heel. I still haven't found the courage to try to fix it, and I can't wear one without the other. I have another skein of Smooshy but I'm afraid to make socks with it!
Go to Top of Page

Joanie48
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  10:42:11 AM  Show Profile Send Joanie48 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought a beautiful skein of Cherry Tree Hill sock yarn to knit a pair of socks. As I balled it up, I came to a knot. So I started a new ball. I knit the first sock, then started the second with a different ball. As I knit the second, I realized it was a different dye lot. I finished the second sock and took a picture of them together. Quite different . Oh well, I wrote the company and sent the picture, but never did hear from them.
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4401 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  11:38:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am so loving your stories - THANK YOU! It feels very cathartic to read them all, too, and know that I'm not alone in the occasional sock tragedy. And Nicole, I love that phrase "yarn vomit episode." Definitely will come in handy someday.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.86 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by