Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Are you territorial with knitting?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ceecee
Permanent Resident

1896 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  5:10:43 PM  Show Profile Send ceecee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For close friends and relatives, I ask what they want, (if they want something knit), colors, type of yarn before I start. For others, I knit small items that don't need to fit. Felted items are usually well received. I never knit for those who have designer logos on their apparel and accessories.
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  6:03:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've only knit for another knitter once and after receiving the gift (a baby blanket for her daughter), she privately thanked me and told me that she'd been hoping that I would make something for her because "no one else ever does. They all figure that I'll make it myself and seem to think that anyone who's pregnant seems to have nothing to do but sit and knit until the baby comes!" Since I know how much time and love go into knitting, if someone actually took that time to make something for me or my family, I would take it as the compliment it is, even if the gift was maybe not exactly how I would do it.

I don't think I would knit for anyone's SO unless I was closer friends with him/her and the partner was fully aware and okay with it or I was making a project for both of them jointly, like the afghans I make for my friends' weddings or a mitten/hat/scarf set for each of them or something.

You can't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon.
Blackstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2009 :  10:38:04 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been thinking about this awhile. I guess I just don't have the time to knit for anyone but those family members that I am already knitting for, so it's not likely that I would knit for another knitter or their family.

I'd like to knit with some of my family, which we do from time to time. There's only one other close, in proximity, relative who took up knitting recently, and I would never think of knitting for her. I would like to knit for my grand nieces but the other relative is already doing that. I'd make sweaters for anyone in my family, honestly, if I had the time. I mean those who aren't already being knit for by my SIL.

Is this my normal late night rambling answer? *checks back*

Yes, it is.

My Blog @ Zippiknits
Knitting@ Flicker
Go to Top of Page

jlriordan@gmail.com
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2009 :  05:30:29 AM  Show Profile Send jlriordan@gmail.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My best friend had a knitting kick a few years ago, but hasn't made much recently, and never made socks. As a knitter herself, she was uber-appreciative of the socks I knit for her. As long as she wears them, I'll make her more.
Go to Top of Page

Allan Design
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2009 :  06:38:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Allan Design a Yahoo! Message Send Allan Design a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love getting and giving knitted gifts. I wish I was better and the only way to improve is practice. I do knit for friends who knit as they appreciate the effort.
Go to Top of Page

creeko
New Pal

42 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2009 :  09:07:49 AM  Show Profile Send creeko a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have many knitter friends to make stuff for and the few I have I haven't made anything for yet. However, as a knitter I would LOVE to get a knitted item! I always see my own mistakes but with other all I see is love. It's a double standard I guess cause I think I would be scared to knit something for another knitter but receiving would make me more than happy! It means that person thought of me and what I would like and took the time to craft it.
Go to Top of Page

kim in michigan
New Pal

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2009 :  09:45:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit kim in michigan's Homepage Send kim in michigan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have lots of knitting friends, and we often knit things for babies that are born into the group. I don't think I'd be likely to knit much else for someone who knits (although I have contributed to a prayer shawl for a co-worker before). But on the other hand, I'd LOVE to receive a handknitted gift from a knitting friend. I'm jealous of those of you who have!

Kim Smith, just north of Detroit
Go to Top of Page

Beats_eating
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2009 :  11:24:19 AM  Show Profile Send Beats_eating a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do knit for the knitters in my family, and they for me. Precious items to receive. I knit sweaters for my niece and her babies because her mom doesn't do sweaters. My only problem was that she insisted on very long sleeves, and she has to roll them up. I was torn--I wanted to follow her wishes, but I'm embarrassed that people might think I don't know better than to knit ape sleeves! She is happy with the sweater, long arms and all.

Everyone needs another pair of socks.
Go to Top of Page

CraftyGal
New Pal

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2009 :  12:58:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit CraftyGal's Homepage Send CraftyGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have no problems with other knitting for my family, in fact my mom has done it for my family for years. I get a chuckle when my son get mitts from both of us for Christmas, for instance. In fact he tries to wear them equally so that he doesn't upset either one of us. All we are concerned with is that he has warm hands, lol.

What I did find out was that mu husband's mother was clearly upset that I had crocheted him a couple of hats, as per his request. In fact he couldn't wear the hat around her or she would get very upset! Thankfully it was for only a week while we were visiting. He wears all the hats that I make him now.

Cora
Go to Top of Page

ladyblue
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2009 :  11:00:35 PM  Show Profile Send ladyblue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have knit for other knitters in a swap type situation or a secret pal thing. I would knit something useful like socks or a scarf or hat for a friend if they liked things like that. Personally, I have gotten knitted items and I cherished all of them. My favorite socks were a gift from another knitter.

Lisa
www.bubblesandpurls.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

766 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2009 :  11:25:19 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have not knitted for other knitters. I don't think I would, because the knitters I know would point out mistakes. I have a pair of socks the a friend made. It was her first pair, she gave them to me and I wear them all the time. I was glad she thought enough of me to give her first pair to me. Donna
Go to Top of Page

emilyn
Chatty Knitter

Singapore
126 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2009 :  12:30:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit emilyn's Homepage Send emilyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like Ladyblue, I knit for other knitters in swaps.

But the most exciting item I've done is one baby vest & socks set that 3 other knitting students of mine chipped in to help (each one knits a piece of the vest, while I do the edging & finishing) to present to the new mom.

We all enjoyed that project tremendously.

I haven't got any relatives who knit so this isn't a problem.

http://vintagefusionhandcrafts.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.