Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Knitalongs
 The Greatest Hedgerowalong on Earth
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Clara
queen bee

USA
4403 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  06:03:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey folks! Itís happening! Grab your needles, pick a yarn, print out the pattern, and prepare for the most exciting knitting experience of your entire life. Yes thatís right, your entire life.

Itís been called ďthe most anticipated event, ever, since the creation of Earth.Ē* And youíre invited to be a part of this priceless experience.

Rundown on the rules:

- There are no rules. Except maybe, I donít know, please donít hit anybody or be mean or use these mitts for evil.

- Pattern is here (thereís a printer-friendly PDF option on that page)

- Yarn? Go wild, love child. Pick whatever floats your boat. Not sure if itíll work? Ask the group. The collective yarn brainpower here is staggering.

- Prefer socks over mitts? No problemo - go ahead and knit Janeís Hedgerow Socks instead. Jane and Amy are buddies and this was a cross-pollination project.

- Deadline? If youíre one of those people who thrives under deadline, then Iíd say itíd be ideal to finish these in four weeks. Me? Iíll be pleased if I finish my pair before the first frost. Donít stress. This is supposed to be fun.

I also started a Ravelry thread here since folks dwell in both lands. Whichever you prefer, we can talk about our Hediges here or there. Your choice.

So gather ye needles and introduce yourselves!

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  1:56:13 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clara,
I plan to knit them but my stash is packed for moving and I can't commit for 3 to 4 weeks.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3461 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  5:17:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, my name is Minh and I'm a long-time reader, first-time knit-alonger ;)

I knitted Jane's Hedgerow socks earlier this year so I'm ready for some matching mitts. I'll be using the skein of Frija received as part of the Spirit Trail yarn club.

(Clara, your post has little squares instead of apostrophes. Don't know if it's my browser or not...)
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4388 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  6:04:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to knit the mitts, because, well, I've made quite a few pairs of the socks! The yarn is waiting for me at the post office -- Spirit Trail Alexandra in Redwood -- and I'll have time to get it on Friday. Can't wait to start on Monday!

Jane

Betty needs a warm hat: Support KR
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

sockjoan
Warming Up

Australia
59 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  03:32:29 AM  Show Profile Send sockjoan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to do this, & have downloaded the pattern. Just reading it through suggests a problem or two: Amy says to use 2.5 mm needles for both the man's & the woman's version. She recommends different yarns for the two, but the same number of stitches. This doesn't quite make sense. And she gives a smaller wrist length for the man's mitts than for the woman's. I'm not quite confident about the number of stitches to which the pattern increases, either; I've been knitting ribbed mitts of my own design recently and I've used 60 sts throughout, not counting the thumb-gusset increases. I used finer yarn and smaller needles for a woman, and thicker yarn and bigger needles for a man.
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5190 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  05:40:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sockjoan, the pattern does not lie about using the same needles but different weights of yarn for the two size options. Using the heavier weight yarn makes the men's mitts denser and larger. I promise. We had the pattern test knit.

I shortened the length of the men's mitts because men don't generally wear three-quarter sleeves as often as ladies do and generally don't wear long gloves as often as ladies do. As I was researching and working on prototypes, I showed various lengths to men and women, and all of the men said they wouldn't want to wear Hedgerow Mitts in the longer length.

Clara, I'm already halfway through a Hedgerow Sock, because I had gorgeous new Frija and no will power. I think I'll make another pair of mitts too, because my Sis-in-law really likes the pair I made for the pattern and I have plenty of that lovely blue left. Yay!
See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.com/
Read my audiobook reviews: http://booksforears.com/
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4403 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  06:33:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very cool - and hello folks!

As for the gauge issue, Amy is correct - this pattern ain't lying when it says, "The difference between the menís size and the womenís size is accomplished by using a thicker yarn and working at a larger gauge."

I know this because I scratched my head at first too. But our tech editor and test knitter and Amy herself assured me that this was true.

The men's mitts are intended to be denser, thicker, rougher, and thus slightly more "manly-man" than the finer women's version. And as Amy noted, the men's mitts are shorter on the wrist because our focus group of knit-friendly men really weren't all that interested in opera-length mitts. At least not in this pattern.

Bottom line: Do what you want. Don't like the feel of the fabric? Change your needle size. As long as you're on gauge and like what you see, that's all that matters, right?

Clara
Go to Top of Page

BlueStocking
Sustaining Member

USA
945 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  06:39:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit BlueStocking's Homepage Send BlueStocking a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in. I just need to get myself to decide what color. I'm going to knit the man's version, because I like heavier mitts, and my hands are not exactly "slender" (thanks, Dad, for those genes I got instead of Mom's) ... I may knit them a bit longer than the men's version, but probably not as long as the women's ...

Jennifer

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?"

Yarns and Rare Spinning Fibers from Spirit Trail Fiberworks: http://www.spirit-trail.net
Blog: http://TheSpiritTrail.blogspot.com
"SpiritTrail" on Flickr and Ravelry

Go to Top of Page

NutmegOwl
Gabber Extraordinaire

581 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  06:56:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit NutmegOwl's Homepage Send NutmegOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm NutmegOwl, and another first-timer for a KAL. Will be doing mine 2-at-a-time on circs, per the terrific techniques taught by Melissa Morgan-Oakes at the last KR Retreat. Using some chocolate Jitterbug, but have some Koigu standing by for another pair for gifting. Since it's my YOTA (Year of the Accessory), I stand a chance of completion!

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  08:07:36 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Question: Are these mitts stretchy enough to fit over 8 inch knuckles? My hand is a 7 1/2 in size, but I have to allow for swelling for the arthritis, but 9 inches would be way too much. I could try for 30 stitches per 4 inches but want to make sure it is necessary before adjusting the pattern.

fran

Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4388 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  08:13:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fmarrs

Question: Are these mitts stretchy enough to fit over 8 inch knuckles? My hand is a 7 1/2 in size, but I have to allow for swelling for the arthritis, but 9 inches would be way too much. I could try for 30 stitches per 4 inches but want to make sure it is necessary before adjusting the pattern.

fran

I bet they are, Fran. The stitch pattern is really s-t-r-e-t-c-h-y!

Jane

Go to Top of Page

mary@stringscafe.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  08:18:24 AM  Show Profile Send mary@stringscafe.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll give it a shot. Just have to go stash diving this weekend. Maybe I can get them done for Christmas.

Auntie Mary
Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  2:44:51 PM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hurray! I'm in though technically I can't start until I get home on Saturday. I'm in Wisconsin right now, visiting family and didn't think of bringing that project along.

Am I right in thinking that sock yarn will work for the woman's version? Or is the Frija the same gauge or is it a little thicker than sock yarn?

Thanks! Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

FO 2009: small market/shower bag; gray watch cap; magic square potholder

Go to Top of Page

sockjoan
Warming Up

Australia
59 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  4:42:48 PM  Show Profile Send sockjoan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Clara

Very cool - and hello folks!

As for the gauge issue, Amy is correct - this pattern ain't lying when it says, "The difference between the menís size and the womenís size is accomplished by using a thicker yarn and working at a larger gauge."

I know this because I scratched my head at first too. But our tech editor and test knitter and Amy herself assured me that this was true.

[The men's mitts are intended to be denser, thicker, rougher, and thus slightly more "manly-man" than the finer women's version. And as Amy noted, the men's mitts are shorter on the wrist because our focus group of knit-friendly men really weren't all that interested in opera-length mitts. At least not in this pattern.]

Bottom line: Do what you want. Don't like the feel of the fabric? Change your needle size. As long as you're on gauge and like what you see, that's all that matters, right?

Clara

Thanks for the clarification. I have some 5-ply (I think that's what you call "fingering") which I dyed in a smooth blue - green progression specifically for mitts, so this is what I'll do - mitts for a man.
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1802 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  7:53:42 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in too! I have been wanting a pair of mitts for winter, but haven't found a simple pattern that I liked (I have swollen joints because of arthritis, too).
I have knit the socks out of a softly pinky Koigu, and I'll just have to shop for a yarn for these mitts!

Anna
Go to Top of Page

MindyO
Permanent Resident

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  10:50:54 PM  Show Profile Send MindyO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those of you on Facebook, I have added an event in the KR group as well. We can upload progress pics there too.

http://www.facebook.com/editevent.php?info&eid=104437558012#/event.php?eid=104437558012

My Ravelry
My Flickr
My Facebook
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4388 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2009 :  03:26:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got my Alexandra yarn yesterday (it's beautiful Jen!), along with a skein of Minerva to make a coordinating scarf (a project for another time). I'll wind it into a ball tomorrow. I'm not promising that I'll be able to keep myself from casting on, so by Sunday evening there may be some mitts happening here at my house!

Jane

Go to Top of Page

knitandsing
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2009 :  05:40:48 AM  Show Profile Send knitandsing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Being new to KAL's I thought this one sounded perfect when Jennifer sent me the links. Thanks, Jen. I've already started my mitts, using a lovely yarn from Spirit Trail - but will have to ask Jen exactly what it is (lost the label...)

This is gonna be fun!

Penny
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2028 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2009 :  1:18:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do.

This will be my 1st KAL & I am psyched about it. It's always cool to hear what KR-ers are using. Can't wait to hear about what folks are using.

Martha

http://marfasmewsings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2028 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2009 :  1:20:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do.

This will be my 1st KAL & I am psyched about it. It's always cool to hear what KR-ers are using. Can't wait to hear more.

Martha

http://marfasmewsings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2009 :  1:25:25 PM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, more questions. How do I find the link on Facebook? The url itself just directs me to the Facebook login page. I hope you are all proud of me for stepping my computer skills up a notch!

Also, have we already started?

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

FO 2009: small market/shower bag; gray watch cap; magic square potholder

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.86 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000