Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Have you ever knit a sweater from cuff to cuff?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Schleppenheimer
Seriously Hooked

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2009 :  12:35:17 PM  Show Profile Send Schleppenheimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was just looking through knitting books in Amazon.com, and came across a book that teaches how to knit a sweater from cuff to cuff. It looks interesting -- I've never done it -- but the few I've seen look like they just don't "lie" right or something.

Have you tried this method?

cam90066
Gabber Extraordinaire

396 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2009 :  4:50:11 PM  Show Profile Send cam90066 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep....just did one recently. My version of the 'Allegra' on the naturallycaron.com site. (Pics on my Rav/Flickr: caminlaca). Fun, easy... even with all the mods I made.
Go to Top of Page

2totangle
Permanent Resident

1212 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2009 :  4:58:16 PM  Show Profile Send 2totangle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit Jane Slicer-Smith's Cross and Dash Jacket from VK Winter 2004/05 because I was enthralled with the idea of sideways knitting. The knitting part was fun, but my finished product looks odd.

Still, having not learned my lesson, I'm interested in Hana Jason's Woven Bands Pullover from IK Winter 2008. (http://www.interweaveknits.com/galleries/bonus/winter-2008/Woven-Bands-Pullover.asp). I've got a couple balls of Eco Wool -- what could go wrong?

Suzanne

Flickr pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2totangle/
Ravelry project page: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/2totangle
Go to Top of Page

knitgray
Warming Up

57 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2009 :  5:43:05 PM  Show Profile Send knitgray a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've made Debbie Bliss's Lara sweater three times. One in KP Alpaca Silk, one in DK weight Wool and Tencel, and one in Lion Cottonease. All three needed blocking and they stayed flat. I gave the Cottonease version to my 12 year old niece and it looked nice on her.

If you are a Ravelry member, you should do a search to see how other knitter's cuff to cuff sweaters look.
Go to Top of Page

watcher
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
449 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2009 :  6:35:50 PM  Show Profile Send watcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I made one from a Family Circle pattern...around 20 years ago, in random blue, green and white stripes. Pretty easy, I think my biggest problem was that I had not cast on or cast off loosely enough, so the ends of the cuffs were tight.
Go to Top of Page

Kathleen-NYC
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2009 :  6:36:01 PM  Show Profile Send Kathleen-NYC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cuff-to-cuff is one of my favorites!

I made the Berroco Marushka four times. I did it in Boho Colors the first time and used various other yarn combos for the others. They are all extremely colorful and wonderful lightweight jackets. I fell in love with the pattern the first time I saw it. I'm thinking about making it again in black and white.

http://www.berroco.com/239.246/239/239_martuska_pv.html

I recently finished knitting the one on the cover of Knitting Cuff to Cuff - just need buttons and blocking. I made it in Berroco Foliage.

Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2009 :  7:10:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did Mexicali Baby Olé which is a baby sweater knit cuff to cuff with self patterning sock yarn. Fast, easy, & adorable.

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

Schleppenheimer
Seriously Hooked

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2009 :  06:32:17 AM  Show Profile Send Schleppenheimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've checked out the sweaters that you've all mentioned -- and they all look good! So, it would appear that cuff to cuff sweaters don't always like they don't quite fit . . . especially the Lara sweater, which looks VERY nice and as if it fits very well.
Go to Top of Page

sydo
Chatty Knitter

USA
225 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2009 :  05:43:29 AM  Show Profile  Send sydo a Yahoo! Message Send sydo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit one cuff to cuff a few years ago, a Shawl collared number I have since frogged. It was a cardigan with horizontal textured purl striping( what was I thinking?) in Potluck Worsted. It never fit well, mostly because there were no shoulder demarkations or back shaping and it kept pulling backward off my shoulders. Very uncomfortable.

Perhaps the ya.rn was too heavy, perhaps it was an unfortunate pattern. I should try again, but I am very wary about cuff to cuff.
Go to Top of Page

Schleppenheimer
Seriously Hooked

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2009 :  08:51:02 AM  Show Profile Send Schleppenheimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sydo, your experience is exactly what I've been afraid of with cuff-to-cuff patterns. It's the lack of shaping that has me worried.
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2009 :  3:11:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are some interesting cuff to cuff sweaters in Lynne Vogel's 'The Twisted Sisters Knit Sweaters'. A great idea for using handpainted yarn when you don't want the stripes travelling across the sweater.

KathyR

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.
My Blog
http://www.flickr.com/groups/kr_members/ (Roselea Fibres)
Go to Top of Page

stitchmd
Seriously Hooked

716 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2009 :  11:02:19 AM  Show Profile Send stitchmd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did Knitty's baby sweater Haiku, which turned out fine and is a good shape for a baby. Then I did the adult version, which has another name, and the square, blocky shape was all wrong for me, so I frogged it. If that kind of shape works for you it is a fun way to knit and a great way to get vertical stripes.

You can't have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2009 :  2:47:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did my gypsy jumper cuff to cuff. It is knitted on large needles in garter stitch and sits beautifully.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2012/2224631895_ac6af9dba3_o.jpg

Wen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wen1965/sets/72157612251840708/show/ FO 2009
http://www.flickr.com/groups/kr_members/
http://wenswoolgathering.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

norsknitter
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2009 :  02:48:59 AM  Show Profile Send norsknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have made Hanne Falkenberg's Jazz from cuff to cuff and it came out beautifully. Her directions are clear and concise. I had no problems with drape. I've made it twice now.
Go to Top of Page

Schleppenheimer
Seriously Hooked

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2009 :  03:50:36 AM  Show Profile Send Schleppenheimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wen, that sweater DOES look beautiful... thanks for sharing the pics of it!
Go to Top of Page

sockjoan
Warming Up

Australia
60 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2009 :  04:58:19 AM  Show Profile Send sockjoan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I sometimes do sideways-knitted on the bulky knitting-machine; it's great with multi-coloured yarn that would produce horizontal stripes if knitted the regular way, & also to stripe yarns together if you don't have enough of any one yarn for a full sweater. But I don't follow other people's patterns; and I do the body first, followed by the sleeves, which I knit downwards by picking up from one shoulder, down the armhole, up the other armhole to the other side of the shoulder. Then I shape down the TOP of the sleeve, which eliminates underarm bulk, and finish with a decorative join.
Go to Top of Page

knitter@myway.com

USA
Posted - 05/21/2009 :  08:19:29 AM  Show Profile Send knitter@myway.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have knit several sweaters cuff to cuff and am planning one right now. I have never used a pattern because it is one of the simplest (imnsho) construction forms available. The one I am planning will have two pieces knit from cuff and joined at center back. The only thing I would alert folks to is that the knitting can sag if it is too loose. Different fibers react differently as well, so it is ia good idea to do a larger swatch and hang it so that any stretch will be noticed.

Carole
Go to Top of Page

lewisbewi@yahoo.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2009 :  08:43:27 AM  Show Profile Send lewisbewi@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have finised two. I love the opportunity to customize the sweater for my particular needs, especilly a larger size. I especilly enjoyed Fiber Trends "color on the side" pattern. It came out beautitully in Noro's Tayio. One must calculate carefully for the finshed length because there is no opportunity to "add on"

Beth
Madison, WI
Go to Top of Page

srvelinda@aol.com

USA
Posted - 05/21/2009 :  09:02:11 AM  Show Profile Send srvelinda@aol.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit this black, gothic looking batwing cardigan sweater back in the 80's from cuff to cuff - it had YO horizontal stripes with a picked up front band and ribbing on the bottom. Wow - that is a flashback!

www.velinda14.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sdprince
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2009 :  09:16:51 AM  Show Profile Send sdprince a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit a shrug with rather snug cuffs from cuff to cuff, and like it very much. It could easily be adapted to a sweater. In fact, I was just thinking of doing it again, in a different yarn, modifying the pattern - my own - into an actual sweater.

Susan from Northern CA

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Susan Prince
Alta, CA
Life is short - carpe felix.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

tmarie
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2009 :  11:13:41 AM  Show Profile Send tmarie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have yet to knit a sweater cuff-to-cuff but I'm seriously considering Lucy Neatby's Venus Rising pattern here http://www.lucyneatby.com/tmhold5.html. I believe it's knit cuff to center back and then grafted, according to a comment I read on Ravelry. It's Advanced level (which I'm most certainly not) but there's another page on Lucy's website with photos and technical assistance and she's got two DVDs coming out soon that are aimed at the techniques used in this pattern--Venus Rising 1 and Venus Rising 2, which I've ordered. If anyone here has knit it, I'd be interested in your feedback.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.67 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?