Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Malabrigo Chunky
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Clara
queen bee

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  6:08:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If butter could be spun into yarn, that yarn would be Malabrigo. As a company, Malabrigo actually offers several different kinds of yarn--including a perky new sock yarn, a decadent silk/Merino blend, and the chunky Merino reviewed here. But when people say "Malabrigo" they usually mean the worsted-weight, single-ply Merino yarn that got the company started (original review here).

The primary appeal of Malabrigo--all of the Malabrigo yarns--is the bright, often candylike colors that flicker in subtle variegation. These colors are achieved through a technique the Malabrigo folks call "kettle dyeing." The kettle is really just a large pot into which dye is added but not fully blended. I do not know if more dye is added after the yarn has been suspended into the kettle, but I'd guess so--at least for some colorways. A subtle variegation is achieved by not thoroughly mixing all the dye together. It can also cause significant color differences within the same dyelot, depending on where the skein sat in the dye pot.......

...full review

It's a nice coincidence - someone was just asking about soft bulky yarns. Here's one!

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

LaCabeza
New Pal

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  03:26:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit LaCabeza's Homepage Send LaCabeza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I couldn't agree more with this review! I've actually been using the plied Malabrigo for years, primarily because of your original review in 2005. You see, by that time, there was no more worsted merino available on either website and it was not available in my LYS.

In any case, chunky Malabrigo rules the roost (in my opinion) for soft, quick knit and crochet project. I've done baby clothes, hats (including Foliage), scarves and mittens - even a felted messenger bag - at light speed and I knit in the slow lane.

The point about fabric density is important, as well. Knowing what type of fabric you want to produce in advance will save any unwanted results. I've used needles and hooks from size 9US to 10.5. Just stick to the mantra, "swatch, swatch, swatch!"

Malabrigo Chunky is lovely stuff and well worth the effort.

Karen B. - http://www.yarnismymetier.com
Ravelry: lacabeza

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." - Socrates
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by