Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Equivalent of cable to flat knitting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1810 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2009 :  5:11:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know this was discussed some time ago, but it's very hard to find in the archives:

I want to knit a six-stitch cable, and know that the width will shrink as a result of the cable. How many stitches should I increase to make up for that? Will 2 extra stitches be enough?

As long as I'm at it, is there any rule of thumb for increasing stitches, depending on the size of the cable?

Thanks!

Ceil

Time is never a factor when joy is involved.

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1809 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2009 :  5:31:47 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Ceil,

The silver bullet is, SWATCH !

Set up your stitch count with whatever stitch is the main stitch for the piece, then any purl stitch background stitches for the cable, then the cable, then reverse your pattern and add enough regular stitches to get a good count. knit for four inches or so.
Then figure out from the "regular" stitches (stockinette?) what the gauge "should" be, and then measure and count the stitches to set the gauge for the cable unit.
This should allow you to figure out your stitch count.
You could try just adding stitches, and since I don't know your pattern I can't tell you much. But if you swatch, you will know all!

Good luck,

Anna
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1810 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2009 :  6:19:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was hoping no one was going to say that. I did knit a flat swatch to get regular gauge, then frogged it. Guess I'll have to start over.

Ceil

Go to Top of Page

fiddlerbird555
Permanent Resident

USA
1429 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  08:32:54 AM  Show Profile Send fiddlerbird555 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the first estimate is "as many stitches that are crossed is how much wider things should be" (i.e. cable 6 means add 3 stitches)

I can go loopy, or I can knit. Your choice.
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1809 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  4:31:25 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with fiddlerbird, actually, but I think swatching still is necessary.

Anna
Go to Top of Page

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2754 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  05:54:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, 1.5 times is the # generally speaking, but swatch. I hate it too. : /

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/ UPDATED! WITH PICS!
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  1:42:46 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cure for swatch hating:

spend hours, weeks, etc. knitting a garment and then find out that it doesn't fit because it came out the wrong size. If one dose doesn't cure you, continue repeating until you learn your lesson.

Swatching can be a lot of fun. It allows you to find out and learn about your yarn. Ask Clara, she didn't learn all she knows about yarn without swatching, and I'll bet she enjoys it, too.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1810 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  10:08:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Veni, vedi, swatchi,.....

I am 3/4 done with the project, and now see there is enough yarn for matching mittens with 4-stitch cables.

This yarn told me that two more stitches needed to be added for 6-stitch cables, so I guess I'll swatch again for 4. I don't mind swatching; it's just that I'd done it before with this yarn and didn't write the results down. :<( However, this time, I'm changing needle sizes, making a new swatch necessary. Thanks, everyone!

Ceil

Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1810 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  3:56:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, so I know a little more. Answer: It depends.

I knitted a swatch, and figured out that a 3x3 cable shrank the width by 2 stitches. I added these in the area of each cable, then knitted legwarmers.

They came out too big.

Maybe it didn't help that I lost weight, including an inch off my calves (from >last year's< measuring; didn't bother to check again, duh), but I had also completely forgotten that the ribbed cuffs would be worked on needles 2 sizes smaller.

It turns out that, in this case, anyway, I didn't have to add stitches at all, due to the stitches being larger where the cables are. I frogged the legwarmers and am starting again. This time it's a more snug fit, and everything is fitting fine.

Ceil

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe