Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 What's On Your Knitting Wish List?
 Time
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Margie
Permanent Resident

USA
1032 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  9:10:33 PM  Show Profile Send Margie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love time just for knitting. Daily life gets in the way.

While we're at it, send in someone to do the dishes and clean the house so I can do important things like read and knit (at the same time).

Margie and Mimi (my hearing dog who doesn't knit -- yet)

MindyO
Permanent Resident

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  11:05:58 PM  Show Profile Send MindyO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hear ya!
I need to win the lotto so I can hire a nanny, a maid, a personnal chef, and a personnal assistnat/shopper to run my errands and check all my webpages for me and type for me while I knit! lol

My Ravelry
My Flickr
My Facebook
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1802 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  7:59:13 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a job for the CB's, if your tolerance for sequins and crazy is high enough!

Anna
Go to Top of Page

pjkite
Permanent Resident

1198 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2009 :  08:04:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit pjkite's Homepage  Send pjkite a Yahoo! Message Send pjkite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do understand - I thought I'd have time to knit this past weekend, but my son came home for the holiday unexpectedly, some friends of his came to see him...and I wound up cooking Easter dinner for everybody. There went the knitting time! I don't begrudge the time, money or effort, and loved seeing him and his friends; but it would be nice to get a little advance notice and me time occasionally! OK, finished whining now - I do realize how lucky I am, honest! Just suffering from fiber withdrawal...

Pamela Kite
East Tennessee
http://fiberlife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1684 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2009 :  10:55:16 AM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think time is something we never have enough of ....especially to devote to our passions.
judy
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2009 :  11:35:24 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sometimes you just have to be blunt "I'm going to knit for an hour. Someone else will have to do xyz chore." I've learned that the busier I get the more important it is to demand my time. If that means a sink full of dishes or a pile of laundry on the floor, so be it. My time is the only thing I can't gett more of.

Brought to you by the tongue in cheek-y monkey
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Go to Top of Page

Margie
Permanent Resident

USA
1032 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2009 :  9:00:40 PM  Show Profile Send Margie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Monkey -- You must have looked into my sink. While it's not full, it's not empty either. The Dirty Dish Demon sneaks up when I'm not looking and wham! there goes the clean, empty sink.

After 27 years of marriage I still haven't figured out why this happens . . .

Margie and Mimi (my hearing dog who doesn't knit -- yet)

Go to Top of Page

Sara Sue
Permanent Resident

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2009 :  9:21:57 PM  Show Profile Send Sara Sue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many years ago, while dealing with some health problems that created lots of fatigue, I still had a job, husband, children and lots of things that I needed to do. The problems weren't life threatening but the treatment was long and didn't have a high rate of success. Since I wasn't dying, I chose not to take the treatments but instead to see if I could learn to deal with the fatigue. I began the routine of working for 45 minutes and resting for 45 minutes. By resting I mean that I would sit and read or do needlework or just veg out. Over time, my health problem went into remission and fatigue wasn't the big issue if had been but, for the most part, I still continued with the "45 minutes on, 45 minutes off" routine and do so even now that I'm retired. I get lots done, the day flies by, and I feel like I have lots of "free" time. Of course, now that I'm retired, I don't know what day it is, what time it is, or where my bra is.
Go to Top of Page

Catlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

394 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  3:36:10 PM  Show Profile Send Catlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For years I wished for more knitting time. Then I left a job due to serious burnout. There was time for a lot of knitting and I really took advantage of it. I completed a lot of projects. When I went back to work I told myself not to lose my momentum but I have. Now I complete far fewer items and wish for more knitting time again. I think I should try the 45 on and 45 off rule for my free time. That way I'll probably get more done.
Go to Top of Page

PCam
New Pal

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  6:48:34 PM  Show Profile Send PCam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I've decided to put my cats and dogs to work so I can stay home and knit!

pcam

Yarn happens. What's a fiberholic to do?

PCam
Go to Top of Page

RonMidwife
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2009 :  02:31:37 AM  Show Profile Send RonMidwife a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have tried to solve the 'lack of time for knitting' issue by knitting each night with a bit of TV before going to sleep, but I have found lately that I have been too tired many nights even for that. I just try to be grateful for all that fills my life, even when it means less knitting for now.
Go to Top of Page

scarfitup
Chatty Knitter

192 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2009 :  04:00:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit scarfitup's Homepage Send scarfitup a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The new puppy has tried to "knit" too many times already, so he's making me more organized and mindful of where I leave my knitting! Now if I could REALLY teach him to knit, that might solve a whole lot of problems.

I'm currently also into 4 different types of felting........so time? What's that? At least I can knit in front of the TV for a couple of hours each night! And I'm retired! Really, all I WANT to do is fiber-something! So many ideas, so little time! The important thing is to enjoy it all.

Have a great day, knitting or otherwise!

Scarf It Up!
http://scarf-it-up.blogspot.com
http://scarfitup.etsy.com
http://flickr.com/photos/scarfitup

Go to Top of Page

strazia@mchsi.com
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2009 :  05:31:48 AM  Show Profile Send strazia@mchsi.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I don't get time to knit I feel like something is missing. My wish is that there was a way to knit and exercise at the same time. I sometimes find that when I watch tv at night I have been sittin' and knittin' way too long. I should set the timer to remind myself to get up and move around.
Go to Top of Page

materavis
New Pal

40 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2009 :  09:11:50 AM  Show Profile Send materavis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is never, ever enough time to knit, spin, sew, crochet, tat, garden, cook, make jam......
However, I have 2 strategies that help:
First, a hideaway--the sunporch. The family cat lives there since our daughter developed a sudden acute cat allergy. My husband doesn't like the seating there. Hence, they both leave me alone out there. And Mollycat has her own fur coat, so she doesn't care what I knit.

Second, and I recommend this for anyone who can do it, try public transportation. For years I have knitted on buses, trollies and trains, on the way to and from work. I usually use circular needles, so as not to poke anyone. And best of all, I don't start my workday until I get to the office. Travel time is spent knitting and chatting with friends, meeting and sharing with other knitters, and occasionally even teaching strangers how to knit. My condolences to all who must drive to work.

Go to Top of Page

dms-r1951
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2009 :  09:20:41 AM  Show Profile Send dms-r1951 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No matter what is going on, I never have enough time for knitting! I'm on leave right now as I recover from a heart attack and three strokes, but there is STILL not enough time to knit! At least I recovered my ability to knit--I started back when I was still in the critical care unit--so I am grateful every day that I am able to knit even if there is never enough time!

donnaknitter
Go to Top of Page

ladyinblue1946
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2009 :  12:23:28 PM  Show Profile Send ladyinblue1946 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am retired and can knit whenever I want throughout the day (except for cooking dinner). I fit the rest of the household chores into my knitting as I see fit. If it doesn't get done, oh well! The pup has finally agreed to NOT knit so I can leave my knitting, crocheting or needlework laying around and he is a good dog for the most part. The only thing that seems to get in the way of my knitting is reading and I usually only do this when my hands get tired from my knitting. HAPPY KNITTING EVERYONE!!!!
Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  10:33:44 AM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know what everyone means! I've had some free time since my thyroidectomy but, with school, Guard, housework, family, I'm usually too tired to concentrate.

I was making great progress on my first ever shawl with Clara's Garden laceweight (really beautiful!) but I don't even remember if I got to knit last week.

I am teaching one of my teachers at Ivy Tech to knit but I don't try to take the shawl back and forth in my backpack. She's doing a good job and I can't wait to say I've added another knitter to the world!

My DH and DS like to play video games together and I find it easy to tune that out. However, they seem to want to play while I'm still finishing up another job/project. Must work on coordinating and learning to put my knitting time first. After all, the dishes will still be there when I'm done, right?

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

FO 2009: small market/shower bag; gray watch cap

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.64 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by