Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 The case of the lying dye lot: a sad tale
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

miele
Chatty Knitter

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  09:34:59 AM  Show Profile Send miele a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, so I take off for work this morning feeling pretty slick. I am wearing a new sweater (Ingenue from Barnard's Custom Knits book-my 2nd Ingenue, actually) and I am happy that it is cool enough to wear in April.
Then I took a bathroom break--yes, into the bathroom that has bigger mirrors and better, brighter lighting than my old house. What's that I see?? Distinct lines through the chest and one arm....yes, it's colorblocks of different shades of blue where there aren't supposed to be any! I showed two coworkers and they saw it, too.
But the yarn (Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride, bought from a store that closed a year ago) all had the same dye lot # on it. I am a veteran knitter and i have never had this happen.
I didn't notice it even when I wet blocked it. Grrrr!
Anyone else experience such a thing?
Ellen

amosellie
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
433 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  09:51:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit amosellie's Homepage Send amosellie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ellen,

I am so sorry!! I know you are furious and outraged - BUT - look at it as your own special design. Who will know it wasn't supposed to be that way? Quit thinking about it - you'll get even more angry - just look it as special!

Amosellie
www.antiqueclocksandysprings.com
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3989 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  11:38:40 AM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, my, that would drive me nuts! I wonder if some of the wool sat int he sun and got bleached out some.

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
Go to Top of Page

Sara Sue
Permanent Resident

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  12:24:23 PM  Show Profile Send Sara Sue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At least you got past the lying gauge swatch. Maybe it just shows up under the harsh office lighting. Hope - Hope - Hope.
Go to Top of Page

susan14_23
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
551 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  12:34:43 PM  Show Profile Send susan14_23 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh dear, how frustrating!! But I bet most people wouldn't notice unless you pointed it out to them or would think it was intentional as Amosellie said. Just stay out of that brightly lit bathroom and you'll be OK.

Susan
Go to Top of Page

2totangle
Permanent Resident

1212 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  3:11:30 PM  Show Profile Send 2totangle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not a dyer myself, but I was wondering if you could try overdyeing the whole sweater. Perhaps someone with dyeing experience could speak to this.

Suzanne

Flick pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2totangle/
Ravelry project page: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/2totangle
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  4:56:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Suzanne suggested exactly what I was thinking. Of course you risk the difference in color saturations still showing through the new color, but if it really drove you nuts and you wouldn't otherwise wear the sweater, I'd give it a try. In fact, we have a saying around here that Shelia started: Everything looks better when you overdye it with fuchsia.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

needlessharon
Warming Up

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  05:37:34 AM  Show Profile Send needlessharon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished knitting a vest that had two different color white yarns. (I kept saying how much difference could white yarn be? I found out.....quite a bit). When completely finished, I dyed it a navy/denim color and even made a hat and necklace to match. The color came out quite stunning. Everyone I show it to commented that the color is quite striking. Give it a try. You may even like the new shade after all. I used ordinary Rit dye....in the sink. I kept it in there about 10 minutes total. I am totally satisfied.

needlessharon
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2366 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  07:44:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, blue overdyed with fuchsia = purple, sounds really nice!

Shelia
www.letstalkstash.blogspot.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5192 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  08:05:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ellen I'm wearing a sweater that has the same problem, though it's caused by uneven crocking on mine, and I'm going to eventually overdye it. I won't use Shelia's wonderful fuchsia trick though, because the sweater is currently emerald green. I've only had people notice the color inconsistencies when I've pointed it out to them, so don't worry too much.

See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.com/
Read my audiobook reviews: http://booksforears.com/
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Go to Top of Page

Eleanor
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
583 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  11:54:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Eleanor a Yahoo! Message Send Eleanor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What if you got in touch with the manufacturer? Shouldn't they be held responsible for dye lots? Did you save the wrappers with the dye lots on them. I usually save them for awhile.
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  04:15:55 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What would you expect the manufacturer to do??? The sweater is already knitted - it's not like they'll send her another skein of the correct dye lot. My heart goes out to you, Ellen, but if it's really noticible to all, then I agree with the over dye suggestion.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  05:46:32 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another possibility is mixing up the ends of the yarn skeins so the yarn is in one direction for one ball of yarn and then in the opposite for the next ball of yarn. In this case, the dye is the same in both balls of yarn but they reflect light differently. This is very easily done when yarn is purchased in hanks that need to be wound into balls before use, but I have seen it in pull skeins also. I check all my yarn for nap now, but I don't exactly know how to describe that. Basically I run the yarn between my fingers and decide which way is the smoothest, then make sure all following skeins run the same direction. Sometimes the twist of the yarn will tell you but not always.

I first discovered this when winding yarn on my ball winder from pull skeins. I wound one too tight and then rewound it so it was in the opposite direction from the rest. Now, if I have to rewind a skein, I rewind it twice.
fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  06:14:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The off dye lot skeins may have been used in a window display and faded as a result. That would not be the fault of the mfg.

That is an awful thing to have happened. Bathrooms at work tend to be overlit with fluorescent lights. The color variation may not be noticeable under regular lighting.

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

roseofisabel
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  06:56:35 AM  Show Profile  Send roseofisabel a Yahoo! Message Send roseofisabel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Same thing happened to me, but with stunning variegated hand dyed yarn. I thought it was a shadow on the upper part of the cable vest when I was blocking it. NOT! It has been recommended that I do duplicate stitching with the darker yarn in the lighter area and especially in the transition area. This would make it 1) less noticeable and 2) intentional if it was noticed. Since my darker color is at the top front part of the vest this should work nicely for me, but I haven't found the leftover yarn yet with which to do it!
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  07:31:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm back......

If the blue is bright or dark, as opposed to pale, why don't you wash the sweater before trying anything else? If you use Eucalan it will pull some of the color out into the water even in cold water. If you let it sit in the blue water maybe the color will even out.

Another thought.....I received the submissions packet for a forthcoming major knitting magazine and one of their upcoming trends is Gypsies, Tramps, & Nomads with a suggestion of "folksy embellishments". You could outline the darker sections by using contrasting colors to embroider X's or blanket stitch or any of the embroidery stitches that outline the sections on a crazy quilt. The style of Ingenue would easily lend itself to embellishment.

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1136 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  09:37:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You poor thing! I've had this happen with cheapo Lion Brand Homespun yarn -- within the SAME SKEIN.

Like people have said, chances are, no one will notice. Men, especially, have no eye for this sort of thing.

PAM

WIP = Socks (knit), Armenius Sweater (knit), EZ sweater (knit)
Done YTD: Shadow Jacket (crochet), Snowflake Sweater (knit), Round Ripple Afghan (crochet), Socks (knit), Cot'n Corn Eyelet Rib Top (knit)

Twitter Name = WildKnitter

If I could only do this for a living...
Go to Top of Page

knitting knonna
New Pal

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  1:31:39 PM  Show Profile Send knitting knonna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not familiar with the pattern you used, but would it lend itself to some tiny beads, sewn on either randomly all over or in a pattern? - then people would see the beads, not the color change.
Being a nitpicking perfectionist myself I understand your frustration, so if you're really unhappy with it, be brave and fix it, whatever method you choose I hope it works for you.
Go to Top of Page

miele
Chatty Knitter

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  2:13:43 PM  Show Profile Send miele a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thnak you all so much for your kind comments, sympathy, and advice. I am leaning toward rewashing it to see how I feel then. The overdyeing thing has some appeal. I hold no grudge against shop or manufacturer--as several of you hav epointed out it could have been in a window or whatever. So my plan is to:

Be grateful that it was for me and not a special gift for someone else

Keep knitting...actually as busy a knitter as I am, I hadn't made myself a sweater in more than a decade, so these 2 Ingenues got me back in the groove, and for that I am grateful

If I don't do the overdyeing, then next fall when the cool weather begins I will hang out in dimly lit bars in my Ingenue, and no one will notice!

Thanks again
Ellen

Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3989 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  1:35:01 PM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You have a great attitude now, Ellen. If you overdye, please post before and after pictures.

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
Go to Top of Page

agastier@aol.com
Chatty Knitter

143 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  09:36:16 AM  Show Profile Send agastier@aol.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another idea, if you feel it's worth the risk--if the yarn might be sun bleached, you might want to try it with the brighter part. I had a pair of shoes where one was brighter, and left the other one out in the sun to correct it. Prehpas you could cover the lighter parts and leave it in the sun for an hour or two and see if you are happpier with the results.......Annhope
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?