Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 how do I knit both sides at the same time?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ArtByMollie
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2009 :  08:46:49 AM  Show Profile Send ArtByMollie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ok I am working on a winter poncho for my brother and I having trouble with the pattern!
http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/kwe-poncho.html

I have been knitting since high school, so Id say its safe to say I have been knitting for a while! but I dont know what to do when it says to join the second ball and work both sides at the same time! if I could get some help on this it would be great! I am stalled up and Really want to finish it!

here is the pattern:
Warm Winter Poncho
Lion Brand® Wool-Ease® Thick & Quick®

GAUGE:

9 sts = 4 ¼ inches wide and 14 rows = 4 ½ inches long over St st (k on RS, p on WS). BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE. When you match the gauge in a pattern, your project will be the size specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be sufficient. If it takes you fewer stitches and rows to make a 4 in. [10 cm] square, try using a smaller size hook or needles; if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.

NOTES:

• Poncho is worked from side to side, sleeve edge to sleeve edge.
• Due to large number of sts, piece is worked back and forth in rows on circular needles.

BODY:
With 29" circular needles, cast on 98 (102, 106) sts. Do not join. Working back and forth in rows, work in St st (k on RS, p on WS) for 24 (25, 26)", end with a WS row.

Neck Opening: Next row (RS): K 49 (51, 53) sts (back); join second ball of yarn, dec 1 st, k to end (front). Working both sides at same time, work 1 row even. Rep neck dec for front on next 2 RS rows. – 46 (48, 50) sts for front; 49 (51, 53) sts for back. Work even until neck opening measures 7 1 /2", end with a WS row.

Next row (RS): K 49 (51, 53) sts (back); k into back and front of next st (inc 1 st), k to end (front). Rep inc on next 2 RS rows – 49 (51, 53) sts for front and back.

Next row (WS): P all 98 (102, 106) sts with one ball of yarn, joining front and back. Work even until piece measures 24 (25, 26)" from end of neck opening – piece measures approx 57 (59, 61)" from beg. Bind off all sts.

FINISHING:
Turtleneck: With RS facing and 16" circular needles, pick up 60 sts evenly around neck opening. Join and work in rounds of k2, p2 rib for 4". Bind off all sts loosely in rib. With RS facing and crochet hook, work 1 row sc and 1 row reverse sc (working from left to right) around entire piece.

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2009 :  09:44:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First of all, let me say that Lion Brand is not known for their crystal clear pattern instructions...

I think they want you to work either side of the neck opening at the same time. You could do this on the same needle or use another needle for the other side, so that it's less confusing. Usually, when they say to work a row even, that means a row with no decreases or increases -- you'd just be doing it separately for each side of the neck opening.

PAM

WIP = Socks (knit), Cot'n Corn Eyelet Rib Top (knit), Armenius Sweater (knit)
Done YTD: Shadow Jacket (crochet), Snowflake Sweater (knit), Round Ripple Afghan (crochet), Socks (knit)

Twitter Name = WildKnitter

If I could only do this for a living...
Go to Top of Page

pkee
Chatty Knitter

222 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2009 :  09:45:14 AM  Show Profile Send pkee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In step 1, you've knit a large piece of fabric.
In step 2, you are beginning to shape a neck opening.
Row 1 neck shaping (RS):with first ball (initial yarn), K49 (STOP)
attach second ball, dec 1, knit to end of row.

NOTE: you now have two balls attached, each will form a side of the neck.
Row 2 (WS): with second ball, work to decrease (neck separation) (STOP)
with first ball, work to end

Does this help? After 2 or 3 rows, it will start to be more evident.

Pam
Go to Top of Page

ArtByMollie
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2009 :  09:53:53 AM  Show Profile Send ArtByMollie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks to both responces I think I get it, I'll have to really get into it a bit before I fully understand this! thanks again!

Mollie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?