Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Organic/green yarns - what's your take?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3469 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2009 :  6:31:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many yarn manufacturers offer organic yarns or green yarns. By the way, Yarn Forward had a very good issue and interview on that topic (you can read the rest of the interview here.

Are you attracted to those yarns? Is your stash greener than it used to be?

stephcat
Gabber Extraordinaire

510 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2009 :  7:58:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit stephcat's Homepage Send stephcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to not add to my stash (greenest thing you can do overall) :^) but if/when I am tempted, it's by either small indie dyers or small producers.

Steph

http://www.sunsetcat.com
StephCat on Ravelry!
http://aranknittingring.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MindyO
Permanent Resident

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2009 :  9:00:54 PM  Show Profile Send MindyO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I buy what I like. Whether or not it's organic or green really isn't a selling factor for me. But I will say lately I've been more drawn to the hand dyed stuff whether it be from an indy dyer out of their kitchen or a larger company. I'm just really loving the hand dyed yarns and rovings.

My Ravelry
My Flickr
My Facebook
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2009 :  10:35:50 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This new trend has an impact on my buying because I need organic/green yarns for at least three family members if I want to knit for them.

I'm very happy that new yarns are being produced from what could be termed waste products, and re-cycled products, that are not petrochemical based. Additionally, it's great that they are produced for the organic market, so the processing is better for all living organisms. Well, maybe not the bad little bugs.

My Blog @ Zippiknits
Knitting@ Flicker
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4170 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2009 :  09:45:09 AM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I want to do a natural colored yarn, I'll look for organic. I don't make it a huge priority.

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1688 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2009 :  11:05:18 AM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the idea of green yarns, but it doesnt really influence my purchases. I buy what will suit the project I wish to make and the ease of laundering. I am intrigued by the blends containing fibers such as soy and bamboo.
judy
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3469 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2009 :  4:26:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My dream yarn would be both organic and superwash...
Go to Top of Page

jgetha
New Pal

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2009 :  6:50:26 PM  Show Profile Send jgetha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few years ago the only "green" yarn I could find was called Eco-Yarn or Eco-Wool. They produced a nice basic wool yarn, dyed in the most ecologically friendly way they could devise at the time. It was a nice yarn, and not too expensive. I haven't been able to find it since that one yarn shop closed, so I don't know if it is still out there or not.

In general, if a product I want is available in an eco-friendly version and a non-eco-friendly version, I'll choose the eco-friendly as long as the price difference is not enormous. I agree with the person who said her ideal yarn would be "green" AND superwash. I agree. I would add "kitten soft alpaca" to that. Ah, that would be heaven...
Go to Top of Page

mwenskay@hotmail.com
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2009 :  8:51:07 PM  Show Profile Send mwenskay@hotmail.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The people I knit for are requesting organic more frequently. I have used organic cotton for years for my wool allergy friends and family.
That is all the extra consideration I give it
Go to Top of Page

sockjoan
Warming Up

Australia
61 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2009 :  10:42:42 PM  Show Profile Send sockjoan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My notion of "green" in yarns is chiefly "sourced within Australia" (which is where I live); I reckon the chief polluter is transport.
Go to Top of Page

Bulldog
New Pal

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2009 :  11:55:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bulldog's Homepage Send Bulldog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I'm not into this whole "green" thing. It strikes me as yet another fad which will die out. While people are being more conscious about what they use and how they use it, using "green" yarn isn't going to solve anything. If anything, I go out of my way not to buy it - I like my yarn the way it is.

All indie, all the time.
Go to Top of Page

scarfitup
Chatty Knitter

193 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  04:20:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit scarfitup's Homepage Send scarfitup a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not AGAINST this trend, but I don't exclusively seek out such products either. I'm in the mode of recycle, upcycle, repurpose, and do so whenever I can to still create unique pieces that appeal to my customers. I am still trying NOT to buy any yarn to work off my stash. When I do buy lately, it's usually hand-dyed, hand-spun, hand-painted yarn and roving.

I'd like to know how you feel these "green" yarns knit and then hold up in the garments over time.

Scarf It Up!
http://scarf-it-up.blogspot.com
http://scarfitup.etsy.com
http://flickr.com/photos/scarfitup

Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  04:36:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The greenest thing I can do is knit down my stash.

"I'm telling you, we're in a M. Night Shyamalan flick."
Go to Top of Page

Corddrymum
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
519 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  06:23:06 AM  Show Profile Send Corddrymum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't changed my buying habits to make them exclusively 'green' but I do try to look for the 'green' products. I'm also trying to knit mostly in cotton too since I'm one of the people who are experiencing their 'own personal summers' frequently!
Robin C.
Go to Top of Page

knitree
Seriously Hooked

688 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  07:29:29 AM  Show Profile Send knitree a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I've noticed is the "cha-ching" factor... higher cost, or less yardage, from some manufacturers (ahem, Rowan). That factor knocks it off my list. I agree that local/less transportation is best when possible. My purchases have more to do with (1) discontinued yarns I already know I love or (2) a specific pattern that calls for a specific type of yarn or (3) SALE! I'm green in a lot of ways, but green yarn hasn't really made its way to my yarn purchases... yet.

Tree
Taking simple patterns and complicating them...
Go to Top of Page

churchlady
Warming Up

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  07:57:44 AM  Show Profile Send churchlady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll try to buy organic cotton or an alternative like bamboo or tencel, just because cotton is such a particularly big user of chemicals in its production (and runoff, worker exposure,etc). I'm not going to buy any of the yarns that use a food ingredient, rather than a by-product, as a raw material. I'm with 'sockjoan' when she talks about locally produced yarns, and eliminating shipping! As well, supporting indie producers of all kinds! I wish I put my money where my mouth is with every penny and stitch, but I'm convinced that we have power as consumers, in how and where we spend.
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5194 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  08:45:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the concept of making knitting more environmentally sound. It is hard to really do that through just purchasing, though, because there is so much more to the equation than what a yarn is made of. Shipping is a problem, even natural dyes can be toxic, over-consumption is bad news, etc. I have recycled/upcycled a number of sweaters, try to knit from my stash as much as possible, I support small local yarn suppliers and dyers, and avoid impulse purchases. If I need to buy cotton yarn, I will certainly choose organic.

See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.com/
Read my audiobook reviews: http://booksforears.com/
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Go to Top of Page

Kathleen-NYC
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  1:02:59 PM  Show Profile Send Kathleen-NYC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not even a consideration for me. My thing is color and texture.
Go to Top of Page

msbeader
New Pal

12 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  2:44:40 PM  Show Profile Send msbeader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, that is great. From the scientist's name to the very desirable attributes of this yarn. A great April fool topic. Love it and it's so creative!
Go to Top of Page

frenchknits
New Pal

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  2:56:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit frenchknits's Homepage Send frenchknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the interview link! I really like the idea of green knitting and want to learn more about it to make good choices in the future. I like natural off-whites and don't have difficulties falling in love with undyed yarns. I think it's important to buy local, which I do as much as I can when buying groceries. I should extend that policy to yarn shopping!
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  04:13:22 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read the newsletter about yarn from recycled kitty litter. What struck me was that some of the raw product was shipped to Texas first, then back to Illinois, then the process continued by being shipped to Wyoming, then on to Florida for the final step. How "green" is it, really, with all that transportation involved??

Jan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.