Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Reworking armhole length
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sandyt
Permanent Resident

USA
3101 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2009 :  08:05:52 AM  Show Profile Send sandyt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm beginning "Border on the Extravagant" by Deborah Newton (Interweave). The pattern is a slip stich. The armhole length is 8.5" as written. I need an extra inch--9.5".

The sleeve cap length is 6.5" , I need a corresponding extra inch--7.5".

Here is the problem: Altho there is an area in the armhole that I can add an extra inch, the sleeve cap does not seem to provide the same opportunity. The directions for the armhole are as follows:

Keeping in patt,
BO 5 st beg of next 2 rows
DC 1 st each end of neeedle ever RS row 14 times 92 st remain
Work even in patt for 5.5" (This is where I feel I can add the needed inch)
Rs --begin shaping again.

The sleeve cap is as follows:

BO 5 st next 2 rows
Row 2-4 work pattern as established
Row 5-Rep row 1
Row 6 Work in patt.
Rep Rows 1-6 four more times, Rep
Rows 5 and 6 only a total of 14 times
BO 2 st at beg of next 4 rows. BO all stitches.

How can I add an extra inch to the sleeve cap? My row guage is exactly 10 rows/inch. So, I need to work 10 more rows into the sleeve cap.....

Any ideas?

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2009 :  09:06:21 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Row 1 is not mentioned so this is literally a guess. I find the row count in this sleeve pattern confusing. Are the numbers referring to the row count of the sleeve cap or the row count of your pattern stitch? They do not match up for a sleeve cap count as they say to knit 2 rows and then knit row number 2. What is row 1? and why are you knitting row 2 twice?

What you want to do is select an area that goes straight up on the sleeve cap and repeat the patterning until you have added your extra inch. You can do this easily by knitting the armhole first then holding the unfinished sleeve cap into it and working until you match the straight area of the armhole, then add your additional inch, always keeping it in your pattern.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2009 :  09:14:07 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just saw a picture of the sweater you are making and the most important thing to remember is to match up the rows across the front of the sleeve cap to the front of the sweater. It is very difficult to match both the front and the back in a sweater with such a tight sleeve and it is more important to match the front than the back. Knitting does stretch, however, so it may be possible with careful easing at the top.

fran

Go to Top of Page

sandyt
Permanent Resident

USA
3101 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2009 :  09:16:54 AM  Show Profile Send sandyt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oops--Row 1 RS SSk, work to last 2 st, k2 tog.

The row count does not refer to the slip stitch pattern. It refers to the specific decreasing. My problem is that there is really not an area in the sleeve cap that is knitted straight-besides rows 2-4. I think, tho, I will just keep comparing the sleeve cap and the armhole.

I have the original Interweave Knit issue where the pattern first appeared, and then I purchased the downloadable, thinking that, surely, some improvement was made in the pattern directions. Nope. I have all of the yarn--5 types! So, I'm going to wing it!

Thanks for you help, Fran-I appreciate it. Knitting and comparing is the best way to go.

I really do not understand why the cap is fully 2" shorter, as written, than the armhole.

I think my problem is that I sew, and I do understand ease fully--this pattern just doesn't make sense to me. I can ease the cap into the armhole, but I think 2" is alot...the slip stitch pattern is not very stretchy lengthwise.
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2009 :  1:37:02 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sewing is a big advantage when constructing knitting garments. Think of trying to do this when you have no idea what an armhole or sleeve cap should look like. Ease, however, is slightly different because we are working with stretchy fabric.

fran

Go to Top of Page

socks4all
Permanent Resident

USA
1461 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2009 :  06:04:28 AM  Show Profile Send socks4all a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe this may be too simplistic but how many rows does it take to get 1"? You will have a total of 5 repeats of rows 1-4. This gives 4 oppurtunities to add rows between each repeat. So, if you have 8 rows per inch then after row 4, *knit 2 rows even. Repeat rows 1-4 again*. Repeat between * and * 3 more times then repeat rows 1-4. If there are 12 rows per inch alternate between 2 and 4 rows of knitting without shaping between repeats of rows 1-4.
Go to Top of Page

sandyt
Permanent Resident

USA
3101 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  1:57:17 PM  Show Profile Send sandyt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My guage is 10 rows/1 inch. I understand what you're suggesting, and it should work--I think I am going to increase the sleeve cap length as well--I've been looking at this pattern for a few days. I think knitting the sleeve cap 2" shorter than the armhjole will result in a tighter fit across the bustline, and perhaps less ease in the shoulders--less room to move.

Thanks socks4all-appreciate it!
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2009 :  05:51:20 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What works for me is to have the same number of rows in the sleeve cap and in the armhole until you get to the last bound off row. That way you match them row by row when sewing until you get to the bound off stitches. The bound off stitches have to be figured slightly differently since the stitch gauge and row gauge differ.

Count your bound off stitches and divide this number by your row gauge. That will give you how many rows you need to stitch the bound off row at one stitch per row. This will also give you that slight ease you need at the top of a sleeve cap. I then find this spot at the top of the armhole and mark it, usually with those stitch markers that look like little safety pins, or a short strand of contrast yarn. Now I know how many rows I need in the sleeve cap. You can count rows and match them that way or just hold the sleeve and armhole together and match them. Be careful, however, when doing this, since the sleeve cap stitches seem to be slightly more stretched than the armhole stitches. (that could be just the way I knit them)

The standard, if you are designing a set in sleeve, is about 1/3 of the top of the armhole is stitched to bound off stitches. This provides the most comfort in the sleeve, but today's designers do not seem to follow that technique.

fran

Go to Top of Page

sandyt
Permanent Resident

USA
3101 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2009 :  06:16:29 AM  Show Profile Send sandyt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have 92 stitches at the top of my sleeve, at its fullest point, before binding of for the armcyse.

I will bind off 7 stitches on 2 right side rows, then bind off 2 stitchss the next 2 right side rows, then bind off one stitch X 17 right side rows.

My sleeve cap, to match the armhole, will need to be 95 rows lengthwise.

I will use 38 rows for the intitial bind off for the cap, so that leaves 55 rows for the remainder of the cap.

I figure I need 22 stitches for the bind off at the top.......here's my confusion....My guage is 22st/4 inches, 10 rows/inch. How did I figure 22 stitches....I have a formula that I used. I think it used 1/3 of the stitches that remained after the original bind off at the top of the sleeve (the armcyse).

I didn't want to bind off too few stitches at the top of the cap, because I was afraid of having too little room to move my shoulder...as you validated (thank you!).

So, I was originally going to use 2 rows for the final bind off-11 stitches each right side row = 22 stitches, total. If I use your suggested formula-which makes sense, then I would have 22 st divided by 10 rows/inch. About 2.2. hmm..here's my next thought...the stitch pattern is a 6 stitch repeat, so perhaps I should keep a whole pattern at the top of the sleeve (it's a brick pattern, though, so does it matter?). Then I would bind off 24 stitches plus 2 edge stitches....26 stitches in total.

that would give me 2.6 rows for bind off. shall I use 4 rows? about 6 stitches bound off per row?

Meanwhile, I'm slowly knitting the body with all of the ribbon yarn and novelty.....this will take a million years!!!!!! (Then I'm going to line it!!)
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2009 :  3:22:31 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sounds good to me. Those little fudges to make the pattern come out right are definitely okay. That is how it is done.

fran

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.8 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.