Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning Techniques
 How do I ply on a drop spindle?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

needle_grrl
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2009 :  12:29:52 PM  Show Profile Send needle_grrl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could somebody please help me?? I can't figure out how to ply with just a drop spindle. Do you have to buy something to go with it or can you just use the spindle alone. Thanks, needle_grrl

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2009 :  6:16:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You certainly can ply on a spindle. I was taught to wind the singles yarn into balls first. Attach the ends of these to the leader on the spindle and throw them over your shoulders to keep the balls from tangling. You can then proceed to ply them together, remembering to turn the spindle in the opposite direction to the way you spun it the first time.

KathyR

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.
My Blog
http://www.flickr.com/groups/kr_members/ (Roselea Fibres)
Go to Top of Page

arlinem
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
442 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2009 :  8:53:28 PM  Show Profile Send arlinem a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you can also wind the single into a center pull ball and ply it back on itself with the yarn coming from the center and the outside of the same ball, turning the spindle in the direction opposite to the way it was first spun.
Go to Top of Page

MindyO
Permanent Resident

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2009 :  11:02:20 PM  Show Profile Send MindyO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a few spindles now, what I try to do is buy them in pairs, spin onto one, set it aside when full. Fill the other then poke holes in a shoe box, 2 on each side spaced so they are directly across from each other and leaving enough space for the spindles not to touch the bottom or each other. I then put the end of the spindle into one hole, and the top (with the hook) into the corresponding hole. Basically this is a super cheap, simple way to make something like a lazy kate for spindles. They spin freely, allowing for easy plying. I use my giant cheap CD spindle for plying because it can hold a lot.

I've also done the wind a ball and pull from the inside and outside, but I usually end up getting tangled the last few feet and tossing that, or breaking the songles while winding them into the ball. So I try to avoid that because I've just never had good luck with it. If I do wind off into balls I make 2 seperate balls (usually one spindle full each) then ply those.

My Ravelry
My Flickr
My Facebook
Go to Top of Page

Katheroni
Permanent Resident

USA
1407 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2009 :  8:05:41 PM  Show Profile Send Katheroni a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I almost always do Andean plying. It's kind of hard to explain, and I don't have a video, so I recommend googling for a video of it. Once I kind of got the motion down to avoid tangles, and also discovered that I can remove the plying "bracelet" and put it on, say, a wine bottle to hold it if I need to do something else, it became really efficient.

I've done Navajo plying on a spindle as well, but I'm not as experienced with that. I tensioned the single over a hook on my ceiling.
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3460 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2009 :  06:06:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use Andean plying for the spindle (provided that it's not a lot of yarn, otherwise I use two center pull balls as explained in the above posts). Here's a website with a diagram:
http://www.spindleandwheel.com/content/view/67/134/
Go to Top of Page

hotzcatz
New Pal

22 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2012 :  01:53:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit hotzcatz's Homepage Send hotzcatz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll wrap a bit of paper around the spindle before starting. Then after it's spun up, it can be pulled off the spindle with the paper acting as the bobbin. I have a box with chopsticks going across it which hold the "bobbins" to ply from. Or if the plies have been wound into a ball, I'll have a couple of big gallon sized glass jars sitting on the floor with a ply in each one. Keeps them contained and they aren't rolling around getting tangled up with each other.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe