Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Gadgets
 GoKnit pouches
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

LJ
Permanent Resident

USA
1940 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  04:33:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit LJ's Homepage Send LJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love love love love love love love the two small ones I have. Did I mention I really LOVE these bags?

The hot pink one lives in my car carefully protecting a Morehouse lace wt cardigan.

The red one carries what ever the latest small or beginning of a large project I have going. Right now it's a Maggie Jackson "Not anohter scarf" project from the class I took with her Sunday.

Linda in Va

http://wallisknits.blogspot.com
http://www.eweknitkits.com
http://tkgv.blogspot.com

crc532
New Pal

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  04:49:37 AM  Show Profile Send crc532 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is for me, a knitting essential, along w/ great needles and great yarn. I only wish they were a little less expensive - I own two, but would own more. The smaller one is really perfect to hang on a belt. What more could a knitter want - something that makes it so easy to have knitting at the ready!

I have seen other pouches that really look nice, but just don't have the perfect combination of feature the goknit pouch has.

crc
Go to Top of Page

gma
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  05:52:50 AM  Show Profile Send gma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is an additional color -- an orchid purple -- the proceeds of which go to the Fisher Center for Alzheimer's. I believe it costs $1 more, but the money is donated to the Alzheimer's Center -- important to those of us who have loved ones afflicted with this horrid disease.
Go to Top of Page

FiberFevered
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  07:45:06 AM  Show Profile Send FiberFevered a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I discovered the GoKnit over a year ago and now have 5. Yes, I know, five is a lot, but three are in the small size (all different colors), one is in the middle size (navy), and the fifth is in the large, backpack style (also navy). I travel a lot and the small is indeed perfect for the carry-on, but I use the larger 2 as travel knitting bags that compress enough to fit into my checked bag and have wherever I land. Sometimes I am away from home for as long as a month, or more, and running out of knitting could be a disaster, yet I wouldn't want to pack a regular knitting bag into any suitcase, especially if I need clothing for 2-4 weeks. There wouldn't be room. Also, the GoKnits are extremely lightweight and good for many, many uses besides knitting and thus doubly useful for a trip. I LOVE them!

FiberFevered
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2074 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  08:08:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do.

These bags do sound ab fab - I appreciate the review!

Martha

http://marfasmewsings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

noallatin
Chatty Knitter

285 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  09:31:09 AM  Show Profile Send noallatin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have three bags, two small, one medium. The medium is for my ultra alpaca shawl which is growing slowly but steadily. The small ones usually hold socks; either magic loop or two at a time. The small sacks compresses enough to fit in the backpack I carry to work so I always have something to knit on during meetings. I also take one along on Friday nights when I go out to eat with DH and kids. I like not having to chase my yarn around. I haven't had any needles poke through the fabric either.
Go to Top of Page

lisastitch@comcast.net
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  09:47:25 AM  Show Profile Send lisastitch@comcast.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have two small bags and love them. I put the drawstring over my wrist, and am able to walk and knit socks at the same time. I would really like to get a few more in different sizes!
Go to Top of Page

yarnmonkey
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  10:58:30 AM  Show Profile Send yarnmonkey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My GoKnit pouch broke not long after I bought it, but long enough not to be able to return it. The GoKnit pouch uses string that is stitched to the opposite end of the bag for the closure and one of the ties popped out of the stitching on mine. While it was fixable, it was still kind of a bummer.

I prefer Tom Bihn bags because you can get them with a clear bottom. I can see which project is which without opening the bag, and when I take my knitting into hockey games, security is usually satisfied with me just turning the bag upside down so they can see... I don't have to open up my knitting for them to paw through. The Bihn bag also has the handy yarn loop inside like the GoKnit bag does. Also, the string closure is a loop all the way around so no chance of it pulling free as the GoKnit one did.

And the bag comes in two sizes. Checkit... http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/ACC/TB0661 and http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/ACC/TB0661T

To be fair though, I never had needles poke through my GoKnit pouch during the short time I used it, and that just happened to me with the Tom Bihn bag. So I suppose that's a risk. The clear bottom and slightly lower price ($15 and $18) make it more attractive to me. Plus, I'm not a huge fan of the neon colors the GoKnit pouches come in. I much prefer the more mellow Bihn colors (grey, blue/saphire, and yellow/solar).
Go to Top of Page

MindyO
Permanent Resident

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  11:13:54 AM  Show Profile Send MindyO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really wnated a go knit pouch, but they are really expensive! I went to Joann's and bought supplies to make at least 2 or 3 for less then half the price and made one of my own. Admittedly it's a totally half a__ed attempt because I don't know how to sew. Funny thing is I never use it, so I have to wonder would I have used the go knit if I had bought one?
I still look at them and think I need one though.

My Ravelry
My Flickr
My Facebook
Go to Top of Page

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1136 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  11:18:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I decided a better option was to pledge to my local PBS/NPR station, and get the free Tote Bag...That way, I'm paying $$$, but for a good cause.

PAM

WIP = Socks (knit), Cot'n Corn Eyelet Rib Top (knit), Armenius Sweater (knit)
Done YTD: Shadow Jacket (crochet), Snowflake Sweater (knit), Round Ripple Afghan (crochet)

Twitter Name = WildKnitter

If I could only do this for a living...
Go to Top of Page

pjkite
Permanent Resident

1198 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2009 :  07:54:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit pjkite's Homepage  Send pjkite a Yahoo! Message Send pjkite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read Clara's review yesterday, and hit the LYS yesterday afternoon to check these out.

I've gotta stop this! I did indeed get a small pink GoKnit bag for my on-the-go projects. And somehow I also walked out with a pink Namaste Cali Newport bag! I decided I really needed a new purse for spring, and loved the color...and it came home with me. Maybe I need to ration my KR participation...

Pamela Kite
East Tennessee
http://fiberlife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

shaggy
Permanent Resident

USA
4126 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2009 :  08:23:39 AM  Show Profile Send shaggy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah ha just what I need for knitting at the doctors office.

Or like Clara said, I can always use it when elephant riding.

shaggy

every dollar makes Betty smile

Go to Top of Page

Sara Sue
Permanent Resident

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2009 :  08:36:56 AM  Show Profile Send Sara Sue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Love mine. Fasten it to my purse strap or the arm of my wheelchair and off we go.
Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1562 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2009 :  10:17:50 AM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So much for cutting back....I had to go check out the GoKnit bags...and with everyone's enthusiasm and the numbers of them you all own..guess what...I ordered one. Purple!

Shirley, Dana Point, CA

...To much is not enough!
Go to Top of Page

taylormade.bat@gmail.com
New Pal

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2009 :  12:32:51 PM  Show Profile Send taylormade.bat@gmail.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hadn't heard of these portable bags before; thanks for the heads-up! I will check them out online because I travel frequently and can relate to the 'dirty and unruly yarn' examples given.
I wanted to share a related find for traveling: I always take along a simple hand-knit shawl on airline trips (I have two favorites, both made from gorgeous, hand-dyed Fleece Artist yarns: one in summer colors and one in darker, fall/winter colors) and have found that an inexpensive stuff sack from a camping store -- e.g. REI -- is the perfect pouch to carry my shawl without snagging or soiling it. Stuff sacks come in multiple colors and sizes and, with a shawl inside, work great as a small travel pillow! The shawl-in-sack fits easily into my carry-on bag, weighs next to nothing, is squishable, and can easily be used to either keep me warm or support my head during a nap. Plus, the shawl itself is an integral part of my layered wardrobe during my trip.
Go to Top of Page

Laxmom4x
Gabber Extraordinaire

527 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2009 :  05:50:38 AM  Show Profile Send Laxmom4x a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I was also intrigued by these bags, and had the same thought as Mindy. But I know I'd never get around to sewing it, because of the lack of time. That same lack of time is what captured my attention in the first place, walking AND knitting. Lisa, when you walk are you just meandering, or is it a regular pace? I need to walk for exercise, and I really need to finish some socks that were supposed to be a Christmas gift two years ago. I figure I couldn't power walk, but a regular walk on my route that I normally wouldn't take the time for, I could if I was knitting as well.
Someone help me by pointing out the flaws in this theory and save me the money!

Janet
"Change is inevitable except from a vending machine"
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2009 :  3:54:12 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've had my small bag for a couple years, and bought the camo print one for my son when he learned to knit in 8th grade. It's a great bag when I just want to take one project, and not half my supplies...which I tend to do when I load up my big bags. It's very lightweight, yet very strong. It's made of rip-stop nylon, which most sewers will agree is a b*tch to work with, so I don't think the price is out of line at all. Yarnmonkey - did you contact the company and tell them what happened with your bag? It might be worth the trouble. My LYSO liked mine so well that she now has them in her shop.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

Sticks and String
Permanent Resident

USA
1113 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2009 :  07:21:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sticks and String's Homepage Send Sticks and String a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Janet, I walk and knit all the time. Been doing it for years. Started in the mall and quickly took my knitting and walking to the beach, fairs, festivals and about anywhere else I went. While I don't have a Go-Knit pouch (can't justify the cost) I make similar sized bags called "Belt Bags" which either tie to a belt or dangle from a wrist and serves the same purpose. There is a rawhide lace threaded thru the top of the bag to close it and to tie it or dangle it and I loop the yarn thru where the lace is threaded inside the bag. The bag is lined so the DPNs don't slip thru the felted part and go missing.

My Dr has just put me on the 10K Steps a Day Program (bought my pedometer yeaterday...now I need a computer programmer or a small child to program it for me) and I'm looking forward to sock knitting while I walk about town. So while I can't see any flaws in your theory I can suggest you knit and felt a small bag from stash yarn which will work like a Go-Knit and save you the cost...?

Happy walking!

Jo
Go to Top of Page

Solaris
Permanent Resident

Canada
4159 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2009 :  6:01:58 PM  Show Profile Send Solaris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Knit Picks will have the 8" bags available:

http://www.knitpicks.com/GoKnit+Pouch_ADGoKnit.html

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5194 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2009 :  05:43:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the idea of the GoKnit, but I don't like synthetics and avoid them whenever possible. So a while back I came up with my own design for a small knitting wristlet. There's a tutorial on my blog for you sewers, and it's very explanatory if you don't sew but would like to learn. I like the bags I make because they're reversible, can be made with a couple of fat quarters of quilting cottons, and are easy to make.
Turorial part 1: http://crazylanea.com/fiberarts/?p=99
Turorial part 2: http://crazylanea.com/fiberarts/?p=98

See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.com/
Read my audiobook reviews: http://booksforears.com/
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1562 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2009 :  10:42:12 AM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Lanea's bags too...they are really pretty. I have the pattern and bought some fabric....I just have to get around to making them. It's great that she will give us the pattern to make ourselves, considering that she also sells them!

Shirley, Dana Point, CA

...To much is not enough!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.75 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by