Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Knitting clubs in this economy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3458 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  1:46:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm curious about people's opinions on knitting clubs where you receive yarn on a regular basis (the color might be a surprise or not, there may also be a corresponding pattern or some knitting goodies in the package) during the current recession.

Personally, I like to sign up for one or two knitting because I love surprises and can plan my budget accordingly. Lately I've been also thinking about the "regular cashflow" aspect for the small producers. Am I wrong in thinking that indie-dyers and small producers would prefer that?

If one's knitting budget is smaller than before, would you prefer to buy something you know in advance as opposed to a surprise that you may trade later on?

technikat
Gabber Extraordinaire

595 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  2:43:19 PM  Show Profile Send technikat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer to select what I knit as opposed to a surprise I may or may not like.

My FOs
http://www.flickr.com/photos/technikat/
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  2:53:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Before the recession, during it, and I'm sure after it, I never felt the appeal of sock clubs. I don't think I'm much of a lover of surprises in general.

From what I've seen after the fact (Ravelry sees all, tells all, and shows all) many of the club patterns are derivatives or just blatant copies of patterns that are readily available. Some of the yarn colors are lovely, others are not.

Nevertheless, sock clubs have been good to me because I've bought several skeins of beautiful but unwanted sock club yarn on the internet. Everyone has different taste, after all.

When it comes to sock clubs I'd prefer to be the tradee not the trader but if it works for you I say go for it.

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  8:57:56 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've not done yarn clubs, but when I began quilting, I did a fabric one. It was only fat quarters, once a month, for about $15...very easy to just ignore on my credit card bill. Since I mainly do scrappy quilts, the selection I have after doing the club for several years is fantastic! It was a great stash enhancer, but I reached the point that I wanted to select the things I bought, so I cancelled.

Yarn stashes are different from fabric stashes, and I don't knit many "scrappy" things, so building a yarn stash through a club is not as appealing. I cannot knit a pair of socks every month, so a sock club would quickly overwhelm me. Some of the sock yarn I've purchased online - I "saw" it, selected it, and was still disappointed when it came. I cannot imagine allowing someone to surprise me.

The economy is starting to make me a little nervous. I find myself buying less than I did a year ago, both in yarn and other things, too. It will be interesting to see how the yarn industry is affected by the downturn in the economy.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

fiddlerbird555
Permanent Resident

USA
1429 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  08:41:37 AM  Show Profile Send fiddlerbird555 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wasn't a "club" person in a good economy, and I'm probably less inclined to do that in a bad economy. I'm not scrounging to get enough projects to knit, and I want to know that I'll like the product before I buy.

I can go loopy, or I can knit. Your choice.
Go to Top of Page

purlewe
Permanent Resident

1916 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  09:15:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlewe's Homepage Send purlewe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I belong to 2 fiber clubs. I love both of them to pieces and will probably stay with them for the duration.

I can understand why people are not interested.. the colors might not be their choice, or they want more yarn for their projects.. but this is working out well for me and I like seeing someone else's sensibilities colorwise.

The one or 2 times I have not liked the fiber I have swapped it with someone for a color they did not like. I do have a friend who is in one of my fiber clubs and if she really loves it I give her my batch for a batch that I prefer.. giving us both a double batch of something we love.

I say if I am going to vote with my dollars I vote for the indie seller everytime.

My mother made me a homosexual.
And if you give her some yarn, she'll make you one too. ~quentin crisp

http://purlewe.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

Amarula
Chatty Knitter

211 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  10:33:40 AM  Show Profile Send Amarula a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I belong to one sock club. I've looked at some other clubs, but I'm not as sure what I'd do with a single skein of other than sock yarn, so I haven't tried them yet. I like the surprise - and the chance to try something I might not have picked myself. I also order online, and as Jan points out above, you don't always get what you were expecting there, either! And I give socks to other people, so if it's not my color, it's going to be somebody's. So I'm willing to take my chances..
Go to Top of Page

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  10:49:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Amarula

I belong to one sock club.

Which sock club do you belong to?

PAM

WIP = Socks (knit), Cot'n Corn Eyelet Rib Top (knit), Round Ripple Afghan (crochet)
Done YTD: Shadow Jacket (crochet), Snowflake Sweater (knit)
Twitter Name = WildKnitter

If I could only do this for a living...
Go to Top of Page

noallatin
Chatty Knitter

277 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  4:49:29 PM  Show Profile Send noallatin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I joined the Blue Moon Fiber Arts Rockin' Sock Club for the first time this year. I joined based on the positive comments I've read about this yarn on various blogs. I've received one shipment and am having fun with it so far. This was not my first choice of club; my first choice admits based on a lottery system and I was not selected.

I did think once or twice about joining a sock club considering the economy and the fact that it is a large up front investment. If you average out the cost of the kits, it is more expensive than buying both the pattern and the yarn at my LYS. However, this is my only indulgence. I don't buy clothes and shoes unless I need them. I don't drink or smoke. The bills are paid, money is being saved and the children are fed and clothed.

Go to Top of Page

Katheroni
Permanent Resident

USA
1407 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  9:50:33 PM  Show Profile Send Katheroni a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think clubs are really bizarre. Whatever floats y'all's boats, I guess.
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4376 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  06:14:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I belong to a yarn club, and it's my favorite way to buy yarn from the dyer. I like that the payments are spread out over the year, and I love the surprise. In three years I've never been disappointed -- every yarn and color is amazing, and I'm pleased to support her work. Sure, it's a bit of a leap of faith to invest in yarn sight unseen, but I think it's a good investment.

Jane

Betty needs a warm hat: Support KR
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4400 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  08:12:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a really good question, Minh. I'd say the recession has mostly affected my impulse yarn buys. Yarn clubs remain very dear to me. I am on the receiving end of two very special clubs. I absolutely love the element of surprise, and I really like being pushed outside my normal comfort level. I like seeing yarn through someone else's eyes. Sometimes I feel like I just buy the same colors and the same kinds of yarn again and again and again, so I like how these clubs can pull me out of that.

I also like the controlled budget - you know exactly what you're getting into. Because seriously, if I added up all my impulse yarn buys I've made (that I later regretted) the total would be far more than the cost of any yarn club. Seeing the total sum, and in some cases being able to pay it off over the year, brings a very sane element to the whole equation. You think twice before joining, and if you do, as noallatin suggested, it's a very, very special treat.

I know that some folks really thrive on the company and group inspiration that these clubs provide, but I rarely participate in the social elements of yarn clubs (if they have any forums, discussion lists, etc.). Maybe if I didn't write about yarn for a living I'd feel more comfortable participating in those groups, I don't know. But for me it's really about the yarn/project itself, about setting myself up to receive regular treats throughout the year from people I really respect, who do good work.

My two cents, for what it's worth.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

Mickey
Permanent Resident

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  08:45:15 AM  Show Profile Send Mickey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope, not my thing at all. And the economy has nothing to do with it.
Go to Top of Page

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  09:20:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love to join something like this, just for the surprise element, but when you're contemplating dumping your landline because your budget is a too tight, it's not exactly time to buy any more yarn, unless it's for a specific project for a gift or something.

PAM

WIP = Socks (knit), Cot'n Corn Eyelet Rib Top (knit), Round Ripple Afghan (crochet)
Done YTD: Shadow Jacket (crochet), Snowflake Sweater (knit)
Twitter Name = WildKnitter

If I could only do this for a living...
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4400 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  10:24:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hear you Pam! One land line and one 800# ditched here.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

SkeinHerder
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
385 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  1:05:00 PM  Show Profile Send SkeinHerder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I loved being in the yarn clubs. I loved the surprise and the anticipation of yarn in the mail. I had an overflow of stash yarn so I dropped them. I plan to knit from the stash this year and be able to join again next year. I like supporting indie dyers and businesses when I can especially with the difficult economy. I find myself thinking about my yarn purchases more and I think it's worth while to get them from LYS's or support the little people as much as I can.

Happiness is an inside job.
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2661 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  7:08:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I belong to one yarn club, which I joined because I knew the dyer and her beautiful work. So the surprise is the colors, but not the quality, which I know will be excellent. It's a variety of weights and materials (i.e. not just sock yarn), which also keeps it interesting. I wouldn't join a club unless I already really liked the dyer/designer/spinner's work. I hardly bought any other yarn last year (really!) for both budgetary and space reasons. This will be my third year for this particular club.

Luann

Knit and let knit!
Now with baby musk ox!:
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ceecee
Permanent Resident

1896 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  7:18:35 PM  Show Profile Send ceecee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never joined a yarn club because I like to know (and see) what I'm getting. Besides, I can't knit fast enough, and I'd be one of those unloading on the internet to GFTC. I also enjoy treating myself to some new yarn when I finish a project. That way I feel I "earned" something.
Go to Top of Page

woolyeyes
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  05:13:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit woolyeyes's Homepage Send woolyeyes a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I currently belong to a sock club, and I do enjoy the surprise when I get my package. I joined because, one, I love the yarn, and two, it seemed the only way to get her yarn.

Over the years I have joined 4 different ones! I was disappointed with one, I should have been more familiar with her product before committing to 6 packages, so that's a suggestion. With the STR club, I felt excited and loved the surprise, but was left with a feeling at the end of it that my money would've been better spent picking out the colors and weights that I prefer.

I take away from my experience that it's a good way to experiment and learn about different yarns. Just like a fiber club where you may get things you would never have ordered on your own. But with money tight it will be harder for the clubs I'm sure.
Go to Top of Page

scarfitup
Chatty Knitter

191 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  05:20:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit scarfitup's Homepage Send scarfitup a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never belonged to a yarn club but would appreciate knowing more about good ones that supply handspun, handdyed yarn - particularly wool or blends of mostly wool - for felting. I use everything and anything (but I AM trying to work from my stash this year too!). However, we are off to FL on Sunday and since I find little in our LYS, I drool and spend when traveling. But I will buy only from sale bins because I do use all kinds of leftovers in other projects.

Scarf It Up!
http://scarf-it-up.blogspot.com
http://scarfitup.etsy.com
http://flickr.com/photos/scarfitup

Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  06:29:08 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only change to my yarn club was that I didn't get in on the lottery so I am an not a member for the 3rd year in the Loopy Club. I am in STR and Woolmeise. I have loved all three. I love getting colors that I normally won't purchase. I can honestly say that after I start knitting on them them I have liked everyone one but one. I say that is pretty good.

Wanda
My Blog
Ravelry - gwtreece
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth