Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 To Display Socks...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2009 :  8:30:01 PM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been asked to contribute some things for a charity craft sale, and I am making a couple of pairs of socks. I suppose I could just safety-pin them together and add a tag that says what size they fit and how to wash them, but that doesn't show off the pattern stitch. I was thinking about cutting out something in the shape of a sock blocker and having a rectangle on the top where I would write the same information. So, short of buying a sock blocker, where can I find a silhouette of the right shape, and does anyone have any suggestions about what sort of material I could make it out of? A shirt cardboard doesn't seem like it would be firm enough.

lemons of missouri

MindyO
Permanent Resident

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2009 :  11:17:20 PM  Show Profile Send MindyO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
regular cardboard? Maybe the plastic cover off one of those heavy duty notebooks? A cheap plastic placemat?
I've been thinking about this too, but for photo reasons. Our local Macy's is closing I was thinking of aquiring some feet...

My Ravelry
My Flickr
My Facebook
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4383 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  06:02:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a sock blocker tutorial I found on Little Sesame Knits' blog. If you google "sock blockers" there are many more. Have fun!

Jane

Betty needs a warm hat: Support KR
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

MindyO
Permanent Resident

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  12:47:41 PM  Show Profile Send MindyO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oooh thanks Jane!

My Ravelry
My Flickr
My Facebook
Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  1:37:09 PM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A good place to start, but I'm still thinking about the information part of things. I want it visible so potential buyers can see that.

lemons of missouri
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  2:25:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cut it out of a sheet of foamcore and leave a section sticking out of the top. You can affix a card with the printed info and a butterfly of the yarn used so they have the extra yarn for repair (as if).

For the pattern I'm sure you can buy a single sock blocker. I don't remember where I saw that, maybe etsy. If you are a sock knitter you can pick up a pair of the red plastic blockers from The Loopy Ewe. They are inexpensive, well sized, and very useful even if you think you don't need them.

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  4:01:34 PM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know I must sound dumb, but what's foamcore? And the Loopy tip is easier than you realize; I live in St. Louis and one of their employees is in my knitting posse. Thanks.

lemons
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  4:49:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They have it at Staples. It's the size of a sheet of poster board but is thicker and you can stick pins in it. It's used for design boards and science projects and other kinds of presentations. You have to cut it with a matte knife.

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  3:52:51 PM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That sounds pretty easy. Thanks!

lemons
Go to Top of Page

Fraggle
Seriously Hooked

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2009 :  8:29:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fraggle's Homepage Send Fraggle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cheap wire hangers are a neat way too. Easy to bend into shape and I know there are tutorials about making them online (that's how I knew how to do mine).

~ Fraggle

". . . Or if you send me your size I'll knit you a new one" -Hawkeye on M*A*S*H

My websites:
Fraggle's World
Go to Top of Page

Sticks and String
Permanent Resident

USA
1113 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  11:48:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sticks and String's Homepage Send Sticks and String a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the link for the wire hanger blockers. You could easily use a hang tag for the info and hang it off the top. I do recommend using the coated wire hangers.

www.needletrax.com/blockers.htm

Jo
Go to Top of Page

Cheerleader9
Permanent Resident

USA
1563 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  4:47:40 PM  Show Profile Send Cheerleader9 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check out my Flickr site, page 2. I listed a site that tells how to make sock blockers out of soft placemats. I now make a pair to go along with my gifts. They really work, the placemats are not expensive either.

Barb in AZ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cheerleader9
http://www.ravelry.com/people/Cheerleader9
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by