Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Upside down charts for illusion knitting?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2009 :  9:42:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've just started a Card Trick Illusion Scarf, and it's pretty fun so far (my version is just red and black, though). The pattern suggests knitting the scarf in two halves and then joining them by three-needle BO in order to get both sides that always in the correct alignment. Not that I have anything against 3-needle BO, but couldn't I just knit the first four symbols, then flip the charts over and knit them upside down for the second half and not have to worry about two pieces and joining (I'd rather graft than do the BO, actually)? It seems to me that would accomplish the same idea, but I'm a bit worried that it's so simple I'm overlooking something.

Gone Crazy, Back Soon
Backstage Stitches

Vcoerulea
Chatty Knitter

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2009 :  5:53:32 PM  Show Profile Send Vcoerulea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't done any illusion charts flipped upside down yet,but I've made Alice's Illusion Socks which has the chart worked right to left on one sock and left to right on the other to create a mirrored pair of socks.
(I wore them to a recent hen party/birthday bash,and they were a big hit.)
The only thing I can thing of that you might need to be aware of is placement from the edge for starting the chart.But I didn't read through the pattern you are using,so don't know if that would be factor for your scarf. I would probably want to avoid a seam at the back of the neck on a scarf,so would certainly give your idea a try.
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2009 :  7:11:28 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There will be a noticable difference between the two charts. A knit motif when knit from the bottom up is formed by yarn V's. When knit from the top down the V's are upside down with the point on top. In most cases both versions are acceptable, but I suggest that you try it out to see if you like it before going too far.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

fiddlerbird555
Permanent Resident

USA
1429 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  09:03:38 AM  Show Profile Send fiddlerbird555 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree, it sounds like symmetry-gone-mad. However, I think the one thing to watch for is that you need to work illusion-style on the condensed pattern, and not the literal-row pattern given later. What I mean is that you have a two-color graph and a basic 4-row algorithm -- first row, knit CC; second row, knit background CC and purl foreground; 3rd row, knit MC; 4th row purl background MC. If you went by the detailed chart,you'd be doing it backwards, which may or may not work.

I can go loopy, or I can knit. Your choice.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe