Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Knocking Off Noro - Plymouth Boku
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Clara
queen bee

USA
4401 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2009 :  7:11:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This yarn reminds me of those "Is it live, or is it Memorex?" commercials from the early 1970s. Place it next to a skein of Noro Kureyon, back up about 20 feet, and chances are you won't be able to tell which is which.

Move closer and, depending on how much of a Kureyon fan you are, you'll start to see a difference. Noro purists probably won't give the yarn a second glance since they prefer to stick with the original. But if you're on a budget and need 1215 yards for a Lady Eleanor Entrelac Stole, the $30 difference between Kureyon and Boku could make it possible for you to complete the project.
...full review

This week's review is up! And I'm extremely curious to learn how you feel about the notion of knockoff yarns and, in particular, Noro. Has anyone else tried Boku? Do you have other favorite substitutes for Noro? Does the notion of substituting for Noro send chills down your spine? Talk!

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2009 :  8:57:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
re: the poll
I'm a Noro fan. I just looked through my Ravelry page and I have 7 finished projects knit in Noro yarns and Kureyon, Kureyon Sock, Silk Garden Sock, Kochoran, & Transitions stashed in amounts for socks and scarves. I've alway liked Noro yarns.

Fortunately I haven't run into the knotty problems that other knitters have experienced. That could be because I haven't made any large projects such as a sweater or a blanket with a Noro yarn. I mostly use it for socks, scarves, and dog sweaters.

I liked the review a lot but right now I'll stick with the Noro in my stash.

It's not that easy to find Noro in NYC anymore. We've had LYS closings and LYS that have dropped Noro altogether. I was able to get the sock yarn at Annie & Co Knitting near me.

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

rejoyce
Chatty Knitter

USA
250 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2009 :  10:02:09 PM  Show Profile Send rejoyce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit a cardigan in a 3x size. I used Boku and loved it. The sweater has held up well with little to no pilling. I saved alot of money using it instead of Noro.
Go to Top of Page

schnitzle
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2009 :  10:32:31 PM  Show Profile Send schnitzle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it's nice to know that there is a less expensive alternative to Noro, even though I like the original a lot ;)

In case anyone cares, it's Chinese characters on both brands. Japanese kanji is essentially Chinese hanzi used to write Japanese. Yes, I'm a pain and a geek :P

Knit happens!
Go to Top of Page

Laxmom4x
Gabber Extraordinaire

527 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  04:10:43 AM  Show Profile Send Laxmom4x a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used Boku this Christmas for two striped scarves a la Brooklyn Tweed.
They are lovely. I just wish the Boku also came in some of the brighter lighter colorways that Noro Silk Garden comes in, so I could knit some for my daughters. (Lots of brown earth tones in my scarves) I also had no trouble washing them, (and fortunately, had woven my ends in first!) One skein did break halfway through, it must have been one of the older ones Clara was talking about, but it really was the only difficulty I had, and for the scarf wasn't really an issue.

Janet
"Change is inevitable except from a vending machine"
Go to Top of Page

Susinok
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  04:12:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Susinok's Homepage Send Susinok a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've knit two pairs of socks with Boku with no problems. They're knit at a very small gauge for Aran yarn. About 6 sts to the inch or a bit less.

Susan
Norman, OK
http://www.susinok.com
Go to Top of Page

tempeh
New Pal

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  05:42:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit tempeh's Homepage Send tempeh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love Noro and have used Blossom, Matsuri, Kureyon and Silk Garden, to name a few. I don't think any knockoff will ever be a substitute for it. The complexity and beauty just hasn't been duplicated in Boku. The price? Noro is worth waiting for those end-of-the-year sales, where you get it as cheaply as Boku.
Go to Top of Page

shaggy
Permanent Resident

USA
4126 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  06:07:28 AM  Show Profile Send shaggy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will not stray from Silk Garden Lite. Love it!
Besides it has more yardage then Boku.

Thanks Clara for the review.

shaggy

every dollar makes Betty smile

Go to Top of Page

Mandy
New Pal

46 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  06:07:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mandy's Homepage Send Mandy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love Noro, but honestly with the price tag I would definitely try Boku. Maybe if I had a special project (what project isn't special) then I would splurge.

mandy
http://sewspun.com
Go to Top of Page

ruthmel1
New Pal

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  06:13:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit ruthmel1's Homepage Send ruthmel1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its interesting to hear about the Boku yan. I love the colourways of Noro but hated the Silk Garden when I knitted a Clapotis with it. It kept breking, there were nubbs in it and twigs so for the price I wouldnt rush and buy it again. mind you I would have to order the Boku from America as its not stocked here in U.K so postage might negate the yarn saving! Ah well...

Black Cat Fibres
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5037783
http://soxandcinders.blogspot.com/
find me on Ravelry as Cinders
Go to Top of Page

Chemcats
Permanent Resident

3337 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  06:47:53 AM  Show Profile Send Chemcats a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a fan of Noro, and it is because of the colors. So I have no problem with substituting if the colors are what I want. Boku could definately be on my list, but I would like to see more life in the colors. And it would be nice not to have to deal with VM, breaks and knots!

Meribeth
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5189 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  07:12:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish someone would work with the Noro color-sensibility to produce a yarn that feels nicer and is more evenly spun. I've used Noro yarns several times and love the color progressions, but I knit for several people with really sensitive skin who I just can't give Noro--or apparently Boku--items to. It breaks my heart to have to tell my Mom that I would knit her something from that gorgeous yarn but that she'd never be able to wear it.

See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.typepad.com/
Read my audiobook reviews: http://booksforears.com/
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Go to Top of Page

jacquiebean@hotmail.com
New Pal

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  07:58:22 AM  Show Profile Send jacquiebean@hotmail.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think this is awesome! I'm a huge Noro fan, but this stuff sounds like Kureyon 2.0 . Bring it on! Don't love all these colourways - they're a tiny bit boring - but I bet they have wider appeal because they are harmonious. The Noro colourways are exciting, but often have one or more jarring clashes. Plymouth, copy some Noro colourways to make these more colourful, but elminiate that one really outstanding odd colour and you've got a big winner!!

Bean Knitting?
Go to Top of Page

purlgin
Chatty Knitter

109 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  09:09:51 AM  Show Profile Send purlgin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
This week's review is up! And I'm extremely curious to learn how you feel about the notion of knockoff yarns and, in particular, Noro.

Clara, When I go to the KR homepage, the Knitters Book of Answers review is still up. Am I doing something wrong?
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4377 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  09:10:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love Noro, but I hate the knots. If Boku can get me through a pair of Maine Morning Mitts without doing a complete switcheroo in the color sequence, and without five or six knots, I'm all for it!

Jane

Betty needs a warm hat: Support KR
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4401 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  09:27:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Woops on the homepage goof - I don't know how I missed that. I even have a checklist and everything. Thanks for pointing it out!

Lanea, I think that's a fantastic opportunity for somebody: A Noro-like yarn out of, say, a very soft Merino. Any enterprising yarn companies out there?

And Jane, you could totally get some very happy Maine Morning Mitts from this yarn. One pair for under $6 ain't too shabby.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

vviolet
Chatty Knitter

148 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  11:41:26 AM  Show Profile Send vviolet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was very interested in Clara's instructive review of Plymouth "Boku." Not only did I learn about this yarn-- I picked up some unexpected information, i.e., what "kemp" is. I was unaware of any single-ply yarn's tendency toward breakage. (Probably shoulda figured that out, but hadn't.) Clara's experience regarding weaving in ends prior to washing Boku-knitted projects was most helpful. We don't need those miscellaneous remnants of dissolved yarn fuzzies in our plumbing systems! Finally, thanks for the posts from other knitters discussing how Noro can break and have knots. This info helps me anticipate the inherent character of a yarn, and not to feel as I ended up with a "defective" skein.

I always try to do that what I cannot do in order to learn how to do it." -- Picasso
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  1:10:41 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Clara, for reviewing this yarn, and the "wearing" of same. I've been wondering about it a lot.

Noro feels a little rough to me, of course I'm not talking about Silk Garden but about Illusion, but still. I'm ready to save some money on at least two sweaters from a Noro book, that I can't see myself buying Noro for anymore.

I bought the book a couple of years ago for my DD. She has knit herself a sweater from it, out of Silk Garden, and it feels lovely.

My Blog @ Zippiknits
Knitting@ Flicker
Go to Top of Page

Woodstocker
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  5:21:37 PM  Show Profile Send Woodstocker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought the Boku from my LYS to knit a childs sweater. I was so disapointed - the yarn kept breaking!

Do you think copying another company is like buying a fake Gucci hand bag? I didn't realize I was buying a Noro knock off. I returned the yarn and got the real thing to knit the sweater.

Woodstocker
Go to Top of Page

Yarnovah
Warming Up

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  7:22:06 PM  Show Profile Send Yarnovah a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Lanea

I wish someone would work with the Noro color-sensibility to produce a yarn that feels nicer and is more evenly spun. I've used Noro yarns several times and love the color progressions, but I knit for several people with really sensitive skin who I just can't give Noro--or apparently Boku--items to. It breaks my heart to have to tell my Mom that I would knit her something from that gorgeous yarn but that she'd never be able to wear it.

Lanea,
I knit a felted purse from the book "Pursenalities" with Silk Garden and Cascade 220. I love the way it looks. A nice lined bag with different material for the handles could be just the right gift for your mom and others sensitive to this fiber.

Yarnovah
Go to Top of Page

NutmegOwl
Gabber Extraordinaire

576 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2009 :  07:36:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit NutmegOwl's Homepage Send NutmegOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do like using Kureyon for a little pop in felted projects, but it's not my favorite Noro yarn. In fact, for projects using Kureyon or Silk Garden, I always buy an extra sk to work around some of the color progression issues that come up - which means more $$.

Fans of soft yarns will melt into the squooshiness that is Kochoran - minus the often jarring lime, chartreuse and fuchsia that can be buried deep in a sk of Kureyon or Silk Garden. Iro is also nicer to work with.

That said, I'd give Boku a test drive for sure.

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth