Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Inexpensive Yarn Storage
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

janile44

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  5:40:52 PM  Show Profile Send janile44 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm looking for yarn storage that is attractive enough to sit out in a room, like the lined, wicker chests I have but that are no longer available anywhere I look. I also have some boxes from QVC that are nice, but a little expensive for their size, IMO.

I want something possibly stackable, something that keeps the yarn enclosed, and I don't want to spend much money since I have too much yarn that needs a home. I also got some inexpensive boxes where people usually store photos, but they just don't look right in the rooms and are tucked away in a closet where I have not one more inch of space left.

Inexpensive, attractive, creative ideas would be much appreciated as I have more yarn coming any day now and no idea where I'll put it! (Me...doing my thing again!)

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3457 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  5:57:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would recommend some baskets or boxes from IKEA, they're fairly inexpensive and stackable.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/range/10366/10550/
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/range/10366/10770/

Another idea would be to have an ottoman that is hollow so that you can put yarn in it.
Go to Top of Page

temari
Gabber Extraordinaire

497 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  7:24:26 PM  Show Profile Send temari a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My son went to the "Container Store" and was telling me that there is a wide selection of different types of containers (and suggested I go take a look!) I think this store is a chain.
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  05:08:20 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ikea has some nice choices, but unless you live near a store, it's not a viable option. Their shipping charges are the highest I've ever seen anywhere. My DD2 looked into a storage set for her dorm that was $98, but shipping was over $200. They must not really want to ship anywhere.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2584 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  06:34:28 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with the IKEA comment about shipping. I was stunned at how completely they actually discourage online shopping and shipping/delivery. For me, the problem is that I do not have a big enough car to bring home the things I want to buy (Billy bookcases.) I thought that since everything is packed flat to begin with, shipping would be easy for them. I guess that the "self-serve" notion goes so far that they do not want to get involved with the actual shipping process. Their loss, in my opinion.

As for Container Store - they have lots of great ideas, but I would not call it "inexpensive." My suggestion is Target - they carry a lot of the same style stuff as Container Store, but at a lower price point. There's a section near the plastic-container section that has nice woven and fabric storage options.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

755 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  08:59:17 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you looked in Hobby Lobby? I found nice wicker baskets there.Donna
Go to Top of Page

NJKnitter
Warming Up

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  8:30:26 PM  Show Profile Send NJKnitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know you're looking for something attractive to keep out in plain sight, but may I suggest the space bags for your yarn? I use them, suck out the air with the cleaner, and store them under the bed flat, in little space, outta sight, and clean, dry and safe. Just a thought for you. They can be bought at stores now, rather than sending away for them from t.v.
Go to Top of Page

Sticks and String
Permanent Resident

USA
1113 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2009 :  10:14:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sticks and String's Homepage Send Sticks and String a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a word of caution about leaving yarn out. It's very pretty to see in baskets and all but it will pick up a lot of dust and/or pet hair/dander this way. You also need to beware of pests getting into the yarn. We bring the larvae of yarn-eaters in on our clothing throughout the summer and fall and the tricky little beasts will drop off and find their way to the unprotected yarn and have half of it eaten before we realize. I'd advise against falling in love with having all your beautiful yarn on display like in the yarn stores because of these potential yarn-ruiners...

Jo
Go to Top of Page

SpunKnit
New Pal

46 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2009 :  07:17:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit SpunKnit's Homepage Send SpunKnit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use cardboard drawer units. They are pretty enough for use in a room, but I use mine in my closet. Not sure about the cost of these as I got mine years ago, but it is pretty, effective storage for my yarn. I like that I can pull the drawer out to browse through it. If you choose this option, just be careful of the weight...some of my "shelves" bow because of the weight of the yarn when the drawer underneath is pulled out. I've had these for at least 10 years and they are going strong!

My Ravelry
Inane Knitting Babble
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1699 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2009 :  10:08:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All of my sock yarn is in a flimsy, lightweight "book shelf" I found around the corner in the trash on my daily walk one day. The shelves are heavy wire and the sides are open.

To get the yarn to stay on the shelves without falling out the sides, I found boxes that would fit inside the frame when inserted sideways, taped their flaps together to make them cover the depth of each shelf, and then put them in sideways (this keeps the shelf from listing one way or the other). With the boxes on their sides, I can view most all of my sock yarn at a glance.

Because the boxes don't quite cover the full height of each shelf, I keep my socks books in these places. My dpns live on top of the entire unit.

Shopping for something like this is a little tricky; just keep driving around your neighborhood!

Ceil

Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

agnesgooch
Gabber Extraordinaire

573 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2009 :  11:41:40 AM  Show Profile Send agnesgooch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I keep most of my yarn in those 2 gallon zip lock bags. I have the partial balls sorted by color (blues in one, red in another, etc). My old apartment had a water leakage problem from time to time (you wouldn't believe the mildew I found in one of my closets when I was moving out) and I was obsessed with keeping my yarn dry. I store those bags in a bunch of these milk-carton like crates that I bought from my first LYS when it closed in 1990. I laugh when I go to my new LYS because they bought a bunch of those, too, from the other LYS.

Also at my old apartment I discovered we had rats! That freaked me out when I found myself looking a rat in the eye in the kitchen. After that I went out to KMart and bought three of those footlockers. The thought of the rats getting into the yarn really scared me.I keep them stacked in my dining room which serves as my computer and knitting space.

I have yarn everywhere. In my bedroom I have a bunch of those plastic under-the-bed storage boxes under the bed and stacked in my closet. When I bought a new computer, monitor and TV in the last few years, I saved the boxes just in case they had to be returned while under warranty and store those in the closet with, of course, the plastic zip lock bags full of yarn in them.

I would like to buy some more attractive storage solutions for my yarn, but then that would cut into my yarn buying budget (not that I have a yarn buying budget at the moment!). If I had extra money, I'd rather spend it on yarn instead of somewhere to store it.

Cathy

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24181181@N07/
Go to Top of Page

stitchmd
Seriously Hooked

716 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2009 :  2:20:20 PM  Show Profile Send stitchmd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you're storing wool yarn in plastic it's a good idea to put it in the freezer for 24 hours first, to kill off any moth eggs that might be lurking.

You can't have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2009 :  5:15:56 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I keep mine in clear storage bins on wheels. They have 4 drawers ea. 2 are very deep and 2 smaller. I love the fact that I can see the yarn in them before opening the drawers. I keep in our parking space in a secure garage. I bought from Target. I like the fact they are on wheels so I can wheel around as I need to. The deep drawers hold my wools/cotton and the smaller hold my lace/sock. I have 3 of them.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Laxmom4x
Gabber Extraordinaire

527 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  5:06:50 PM  Show Profile Send Laxmom4x a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw lots of fabric lines baskets at both Joann's and the Chrsitmas Tree Shoppes this weekend!

Janet
"Change is inevitable except from a vending machine"
Go to Top of Page

ChrissoKnitto
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  04:38:14 AM  Show Profile Send ChrissoKnitto a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sam's Club sells their baby spinach in clear stackable boxes. The bag of spinach is inside the box. They're a little larger than a shoe box. They work great for yarn storage, they're FREE, and it's a chance to repurpose excess packaging. Of course it takes awhile to accumulate them, but it's worth the wait.

I also use stacking drawers from The Container Store (online) -- but they're MUCH for expensive, and keep getting more so. I think they're about $11 apiece know.
Go to Top of Page

mail@lifke.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  05:32:58 AM  Show Profile Send mail@lifke.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why not this?

http://www.craftynest.com/2008/12/salvaged-drawers-modular-bookcase/
Go to Top of Page

hallowellk
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  06:00:56 AM  Show Profile Send hallowellk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a caution about some of the suggestions: You may want to consider how long you'll be storing the yarn. Many plastics "off-gas" chemicals that can weaken and/or discolor the yarn over time. Also, cardboard storage has been know to attract various pests (they like the glue use to produce the boxes).
Go to Top of Page

cstmcrea
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  07:03:48 AM  Show Profile Send cstmcrea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you have space under the bed, I suggest using the plastic under the bed storage bins. You can line the bottom with cedar. It keeps the yarn clean and free of unwanted visitors. I found mine at lowes

Mitzi B
Go to Top of Page

cstmcrea
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  07:08:02 AM  Show Profile Send cstmcrea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you have space under the bed, I suggest using the plastic under the bed storage bins. You can line the bottom with cedar. It keeps the yarn clean and free of unwanted visitors. I found mine at lowes
Another idea is the shoe boxed at the dollar store. I have mine with a pictur on the fornt of what the project is for. If it is just stash without a project, then i put on the outside the amount, yarn, gage and needle size.

Mitzi B
Go to Top of Page

Musheroom
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  08:34:13 AM  Show Profile Send Musheroom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought 18" x18" square wire in set of six
you can configure them in many different ways
instuctions are included. They cost under $20
per set of six
Go to Top of Page

Merrill Olinger
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  10:32:26 AM  Show Profile Send Merrill Olinger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went to Lowes and got some closet organizing cubes and canvas bins to go into the cubbies. I put two cubes side by side in the closet in the spare room, but they would look just as nice out along the wall. Here's the links:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=163236-77268-864400&lpage=none

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=260269-63605-1009&lpage=none

If you can't get the link to work, cut and paste into your web browser.

Merrill

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.