Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Report on Knitting Resolutions edit: October 2009
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1784 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2009 :  2:27:10 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No yarn bought.
Still knitting on grandkid's socks.

I did the short-row-with-yarnovers heel by memory, and it was just right! Yay!

My son and his older son (6 1/2 years old) will be arriving from France on April 10th! And my son from Atlanta will be coming as well, so we will have a full house. So I will deliver as many socks as I can get done by the time they leave.

It is so exciting! I have to go to Target to get more pillows and a kid coverlet. Bye

Anna
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2009 :  5:20:41 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At last post I had 12 UFOs after starting the year with 15. I've finished 7 projects total in 2009 and am now down to 11. So far, I'm still sticking to my finish 2 UFOs for every project started rule, but it's getting harder, as temptation and boredom hit.

I finished off the pullover I was working on last month and am absolutely loving it. It's a vintage mid-1990s V necked pullover with cabling along the V neck. It still looks great. I learned a new construction technique--namely using an applied knit facing to accentuate cables knit along a V neckline. It's time-consuming but neat.

I cheated a little and did two dishcloths, which together took about 3 days to do and counted it as 1 project. They're going to be gifted to the same person, so I bent the rules a bit.

I also finished a hat for my son (existing UFO) after he vanished to Montreal with a Foliage hat I had knit for a female friend. When he got back, he actually said that it had been useful, even if it was a little too femmine. So he got a more manly hat.

Currently actively working: a) Oriel lace socks, which involve a certain amount of tooth pulling; b) Norah Gaughan's Eastlake sweater; c) Decimal from the Spring Knitty (although I'm procrastinating on doing the rewriites it needs for me) and d) finishing another Gaughan that I started last summer.

Yarn: Why does Webs have such good deals??? I caved when I needed some sport weight cotton for Decimal. Got some Saucy Sport and regular Saucy just to have.

I did learn a new construction technique, but still no fair isle or charity knitting. I need two more FOs before I can do either, although I have plans.

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2009 :  5:25:28 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Meant to add that it's really inspiring to hear how others are doing. this thread is keeping me motivated.

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

AngieSue
Permanent Resident

USA
1606 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2009 :  05:52:14 AM  Show Profile Send AngieSue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My resolution was no new sock yarn for 2009. I've made it three months without falling off the wagon.

I also wanted to try knitting with the yarn held in my left hand. I haven't yet done it. I missed a great opportunity when I started knitting a shawl in garter stitch. I will probably give it a try when I make some simple socks.

Speaking of socks, I'm making a pair with Magic Loop..my first time. I'm liking the process. We'll see if I still like ML when I get to the heel and gusset descreases.

Angie
My Ravelry
My Pictures
Go to Top of Page

fiddlerbird555
Permanent Resident

USA
1429 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  8:04:26 PM  Show Profile Send fiddlerbird555 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, my resolutions were NOT about avoiding yarn purchases, and it's a good thing. I bought some handspun camel yarn from the zoo (it's supposed to help some indigeonous people) and now I get to figure out what to do with it.

Other than that, I FINALLY finished a pair of mittens for myself.

I can go loopy, or I can knit. Your choice.
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  11:45:40 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bought some close out yarns at Knitpicks that I love a lot. Last chance to get them, so they said. But I did fall in love with the Beastly Manly sweater and look forward to knitting it again. The rest of the UFOs are still snarling at me in their little baggies and other tote like enclosures.

My Blog @ Zippiknits
Knitting@ Flicker
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1784 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  5:10:35 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finished the grandchildren's socks!
And, I memorized the sock heel that is "short row heel with yarnovers" that Priscilla Gibson Roberts describes in Simple Socks, Plain and Fancy.
So, Projects finished, and new technique learned!!!

How about my yarn abstinence? er uh today bought sock yarn from Woodland Woolworks who had it on sale.

However, I also bought a high whorl spindle, because I want to learn to spin.
So, that desire to achieve a whole new skill might cancel out the sock yarn purchase.

Ya think?

Anna
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  8:26:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eldergirl
However, I also bought a high whorl spindle, because I want to learn to spin.
So, that desire to achieve a whole new skill might cancel out the sock yarn purchase.

Ya think?

Anna

And now you face a new philosophical question, Does roving count as stash?

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

fiddlerbird555
Permanent Resident

USA
1429 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  4:05:29 PM  Show Profile Send fiddlerbird555 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you wrap a stitch, is that a yarnover that fell off the needle?

Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1784 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  4:33:54 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks to fiddlerbird we now have yet another philosophical question:

"If you wrap a stitch, is hat a yarnover that fell off the needle?" The CB's might help with the answers, but a couple of crazy Russian Philosophers might do as well.

Anna
Go to Top of Page

fiddlerbird555
Permanent Resident

USA
1429 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  06:17:40 AM  Show Profile Send fiddlerbird555 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
CBs? As in Citizen Band radio?

Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  06:53:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She might be talking about cabana boys.

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2009 :  10:15:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marg in Mirror

"Yes I did":

My resolution was to make a dent in a bag of projects (yarn matched with patterns) throughout this year. The first project -- a shrug for my DD's birthday -- was finished January 13th (The Day) and delivered to her 2 days later. It fits and she's pleased -- even the sleeves are long enough.

"Yes I am": I am currently working on a pullover for me from stash yarn -- not in the Project Bag -- but I am also working on a hat that was in the bag, and I finished 1 of a pair of socks while on my holiday last week.

March/April Update:

• Above-mentioned socks finished and being enjoyed by the recipient.
  • finished 1 of each of 2 pair of socks from stash (1 "Hope Sock" from The Eclectic Sole and one "Guernsey Sock" from The Knitter's Book of Yarn, plus started a pair of "Little Shells Socks", also from stash, also from KBOY -- thanks to 2 KALs!
  • 3/4 through a fine lace shawl ("Vernal Equinox", also from stash, also thanks to a KAL and
  • [*]well along on a prayer shawl ("Sierra Dreams" from The Prayer Shawl Companion -- again, from stash and for the Prayer Shawl Ministry at my church.

I finished the back of the pullover I am making from stash pour moi and am up to the armhole shaping on the front. I've also started a sweater jacket for my son (from Peace Fleece in stash, for the fall), and made a mitred scarf from stash for a charity auction.

The pile's slo-o-o-wly dminishing...but it may take me years yet! LOL!

Marg in Mirror

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2009 :  9:10:25 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
April update:

Began the month with 11 UFOs and am now down to 10. I want to get it down to 8 this year (I know, I know--but I started with 16). According to my 2 for 1 rule, I can now start a half a new project. Boredom is setting in, so I think the next few starts are going to be quickies so I can add them to the finished project count ASAP and justify starting something else. I'd frog a couple, but they're either too close to being done or involve a technique I want to learn. And then there's the one I can't find. . .

Finishing the second sleeve on the Eastlake. Unfortunately I won't be able to wear it until fall.

Finished rehab work on another oldie but a goody. This was an Icelandic cape" in Lopi with a bit of fair isle around the top. The pattern was from a Woman's Day or Family Circle magazine from c. 1975 that I saved for years. I finally knit the things in the 90s and it was an ugh. The front button bands were crocheted, and there was a 2 inch difference in length. It's languished in the back of the closet for years, accumulating dust and moth holes. This month I fixed the moth holes, blocked the thing, and readjusted the buttons. It's now wearable and waiting for the fall. It's in my Ravelry projects.

Yarn: do we have to talk about this?

One question--do the cabana boys knit?

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2009 :  12:30:18 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh yes, Anne, the CBers both knit and crochet, but they haven't got the hang of bobbin lace quite yet.

My Blog @ Zippiknits
Knitting@ Flicker
Go to Top of Page

fiddlerbird555
Permanent Resident

USA
1429 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2009 :  12:49:45 PM  Show Profile Send fiddlerbird555 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ABT: Your ravelry name please? I'd like to see that project.

I've been lusting after this thing called "The Elegant Lace Poncho" for a while, and just figured out that it might be quite nicely done with the inherited stash Norwegian wool.

Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2009 :  12:58:03 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Same as here---abt1950

How about yours? I've never quite managed to keep up with who's who on Ravelry.

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1699 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2009 :  6:24:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I >have< bought a little yarn.

However, now that three pairs of socks (out of six) are out of the way for a desperate woman with funky feet, I am finally getting around to knitting down my stash, my plan for this year. Of course, I'm sneaking in a couple extra projects, but who's looking? Legwarmers are next. Sounds odd, but I'm in Denver and they're talking about snow showers tomorrow (yes, in April).

Ceil

Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  09:12:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
APRIL UPDATE

Accomplished
knit 2 pairs of socks (one from stash yarn)
finished 2 longtime UFOs, both kids sweaters

Bought
3 skeins Eco Wool
2 skeins Panda Silk sock yarn (used for one pair of finished socks)
Sock Innovation, book by CookieA
Socks in the City, Patons booklet (a goodie!)
Street Smart, Patons booklet (also a goodie!)
A Tunic Sweater for the Family, Cottage Creations booklet
assorted individual patterns
5 crochet hooks
1 Addi circ 32" #11
1 set metal dpns, Knitpicks
1 dentist tool, Patternworks (great item, I have one, this is an extra)
1 giant heavily embroidered bag large enough to hold a bulky blanket-in-progress

Found
my Clover yarn cutter, I knew it was in one of those bags! I attached it to my green row counter w/a keyring so now I won't lose it again.

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

fiddlerbird555
Permanent Resident

USA
1429 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  09:17:23 AM  Show Profile Send fiddlerbird555 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I broke my long-standing policy of not having multiple WIPS around. I didn't buy any supplies for it, but I had this inherited stash of pure wool and finally figured what to do with it. (Lace crocheted poncho). The bad news is that I had to frog & start again (DH was feeling chatty when I was trying to count chains) and I may have to do it yet again (counted right, but may have twisted it.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?