Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Report on Knitting Resolutions edit: October 2009
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  8:43:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 12 sweaters in 12 months sweater status is: #1, waiting for more yarn, need bigger sleeves. #2 cast on first sleeve for gauge....and dayum if I did not get gauge. So I am halfway up the first sleeve.

Kelley
Check out my solar-dyed yarns at http://www.ceallachdyes.com
and my blog at http://ceallachknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  1:51:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that it's the end of February how are the resolutions going?

update for this month
bought no yarn nor anything else knitting related (almost bought another pair of sock blockers but was not happy with the sizing offered)

knit 3 pairs of socks from stash yarn, using 1 pattern from a book I own, 1 pattern from a library book, 1 pattern from an old magazine

getting ready for a March 1 Knitalong - my very first one, awww .....

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

fiddlerbird555
Permanent Resident

USA
1429 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  2:42:45 PM  Show Profile Send fiddlerbird555 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Working on my mittens. Decided to crochet, but may not have enough yarn. Did make a couple toys from leftover yarn.

I can go loopy, or I can knit. Your choice.
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  3:58:11 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some progress made. I started out the year with 15 UFOs and a "finish 2 for each new one started." My goal is to reduce the number to 8 (or 10 at worst) by the end of the year. I'm now down to 12: I finished 4 and started 1.

I finished my c. 1992 VK Enchanted Forest cardigan and am really pleased about how it turned out.

I'm almost ready to block and seam another sweater of the same vintage (I ran out of yarn and it took years to find the one ball I needed)

No yarn buying violations, so I'm good there.

As for fair isle, charity knitting, learning a new technique--those resolutions are still being held hostage to The Great UFO Knitdown of 2009.

Question: does a dishcloth count as a new project, or is it like sock yarn, which doesn't count as stash?

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  4:10:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by abt1950
Question: does a dishcloth count as a new project, or is it like sock yarn, which doesn't count as stash?

IMO a dishcloth counts since it contributes to stash reduction.

I'm pretty sure that by now most of us admitted that sock yarn is indeed stash. I know I certainly have. As my mother often said, "You're only fooling yourself."

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1809 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  4:39:42 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, February progress:
Still on the socks for the little ones. Bad stuff: first sock knitted for the 3 year old is great in the length, but I found that I knitted at a gauge of 9 stitches per inch with the Knit Picks "Essential" run of the mill sock yarn. I have NEVER knitted at such a fine gauge! I think it is the result of my new 20" Hiya Hiya circulars size 2.25mm , and my new confidence with the "continental" style of knitting. Anyway, the first sock is too narrow! Aaarrgghh!

OK: left it behind, moved on to the 6 year old's sock, battered but wiser: and I DID learn a new technique!
I wanted to use a different color for the cuff, heel, and toe: and I wanted to do the short row heel so that there would be a nice solid area of color.
I used You Tube videos on "short row heel with YO's"--the technique that Priscilla Gibson Roberts writes about in her traditional sock book.
I did three or four starts, and a couple of finishes, but I now have the technique more or less licked!
Life happens, and goals change, but I am delighted to say I have progressed in learning a new technique--it just isn't entrelac!
Anna
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2009 :  12:06:22 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GFTC

quote:
Originally posted by abt1950

IMO a dishcloth counts since it contributes to stash reduction.

I'm pretty sure that by now most of us admitted that sock yarn is indeed stash. I know I certainly have. As my mother often said, "You're only fooling yourself."

GFTC of NYC

Rats! That means I have one more UFO to finish before I can start the Tardis dishcloth I want to knit for my friend who's a Dr. Who fan. According to my rules, I'm allowed to start half a project now. How does one start half a project?

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

suzannevh
Gabber Extraordinaire

565 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2009 :  9:27:08 PM  Show Profile Send suzannevh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been making real progress with reducing my stash. I set a goal to reduce my stash by a significant number this year (and just like my weight I ain't telling). To meet it I need to do some industrious knitting and donating - both of which I've been doing. I haven't bought any yarn this year. My challenging goal has got me focused on all the many projects I can and want to knit with what I currently own. And I'm actively knitting instead of just thinking about knitting.
Go to Top of Page

fiddlerbird555
Permanent Resident

USA
1429 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  08:45:06 AM  Show Profile Send fiddlerbird555 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Semi-finished one mitten. No cuffs, but wearable. The plan was to pick up stitches & knit the cuff, but I need more yarn for that. But I think I like what I have for cold windy weather -- crocheting is definitely more dense. Started the 2nd mitten last night. Hope I can make it look approximately the same.

Go to Top of Page

Corddrymum
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
519 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  10:47:04 AM  Show Profile Send Corddrymum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My goals for this year are to make the Lady Eleanor shawl and learn to make socks. I have some lovely Shibui sock yarn and a couple of good books so I may start that when I go to CA next week to visit the kids and I think I should probably start on LE soon because she'll be too hot to hold on my lap during the summer.
Robin C.

Go to Top of Page

fiddlerbird555
Permanent Resident

USA
1429 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2009 :  12:13:52 PM  Show Profile Send fiddlerbird555 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forgot to mention -- made little toys from "scraps" a cat & mouse, smaller than my hand. One for each kid. That was fun, and I'll try fancier work sometime.

Go to Top of Page

Sticks and String
Permanent Resident

USA
1113 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  10:19:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sticks and String's Homepage Send Sticks and String a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jan socks finished. Feb socks finished. March socks: 1st sock done, 2nd sock about 1/3 in. April socks: 1st sock finished. (OK, I'm ahead of the curve!) I'm 1/3 into a scarf for DH. HE bought the yarn without me while I was in Florida so I'm not counting the purchase against mine. I *have* made a couple of purchases HOWEVER...I was generously gifted by my knitting group with a GC for $75. for my fav of the 2 LYS in the area. I bought sock yarn, sock yarn, lace weight alpaca, 1 skein of a nice cotton from the sale rack and some glass beads for a necklace I needed for the Florida trip. While in Florida I bought a skein of sock yarn at half price...it will work for socks for my neice's 3 year old son and a scarf pattern book for $1.00! I've knit a scarf and a pair of mittens from stash and I'm planning an entrelac scarf from the stash scraps, hate to waste good yarn even if it's small amounts...

So, I think I'm still on track and except for $3.50 spent in Florida, I haven't touched actual cash for anything knitting related. I do need to hit the stash when this scarf for DH is finished...I'm a little behind on stashbusting...

Jo
Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2009 :  6:33:23 PM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must not be back up to par. What little I did on the felted clog must be tinked back to the sole. Lynn came by to see how her sweater was doing and I had to confess that I haven't done much (though precancer and a thyroidectomy is certainly a legit reason not to have been knitting!

Anyway, I gave her the whole kit and kaboodle, including the basket it was in. She deserves to have her sweater finished sometime in this century.

I am reading a good knitting book right now and I did clean out my stash. I will post the yarn tonight on the yarn swap thread.

And today's my birthday so I called my lys and asked if they have the new Lorna's Laces in Clara's Garden colorway (I only read last week's letter today!) and guess what?! They called the company, there was one Helen's Laceleft in that colorway and I pre-paid for it as my birthday present to myself! I can hardly wait to get it but I think I'll put off starting anything with it until I KNOW I'm fully back in the game. Oh, if I only had a brain...

Anyway, the recovery should be gaining momentum soon. I hope!

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

FO 2009: small market/shower bag; gray watch cap

Go to Top of Page

Sticks and String
Permanent Resident

USA
1113 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2009 :  7:16:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sticks and String's Homepage Send Sticks and String a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Happy Birthday, Melanie!!

Jo
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2009 :  12:02:37 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Happy Belated Birthday Melanie! oh darn, it's just past the midnight deadline!

My Blog @ Zippiknits
Knitting@ Flicker
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2009 :  2:07:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Melanie, I hope you are feeling better and a belated Happy Birthday!

re: knitting resolutions
Should we start reporting on March or wait a few days more? I am so off the wagon......

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2009 :  09:26:37 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In February (and part of March) so far, I did some knitting:

1.one more simplified fingerless mitt is finished.
2.a whole set of pattern work on the in-the-round aran sweater
3.the ribbing of the arm section. up to the pattern of some other fingerless mitts
4.Up to the thumb gusset on one SF hempathy glove
5.Spring Forward sock up to the gusset.
6.About 6 inches of the ribbing for Jane's Hedgerows

But lately haven't done any knitting to speak of. I've got a grip on one of the hay bales on that darn wagon but that's about it!

My Blog @ Zippiknits
Knitting@ Flicker
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2009 :  09:52:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
YES I DID
1. participated in March KAL & finished Guernsey Socks, Koigu stash
2. joined March KAL & will finish Rivendell socks today, Koigu stash
3. finished parts of WIP, mohair cable cardigan, which I have been whining about since 2006
4. up to sleeves on Jawbreaker Cardigan, used ancient stash of Tahki Soho Bulky Tweed which I washed before knitting, gotta be 10 yrs old

OK I CAVED, it's been 9 months, you would have too
1. GOB sale: 6 skeins Noro Kureyon Sock, 2009 colors, $9.75 each, who could resist?
2. GOB sale: 1 skein Colinette Jitterbug, $10.75, why not?
3. Knitpicks: assorted gadgets & the new Cookie A. sockbook, hey they sent me an email
4. Patternworks: pattern book & gadget, oy such a beautiful catalog they sent
5. Beaverslide Dry Goods: ordered yarn for a sweater from above pattern book, used PayPal funds from selling yarn so technically this will count as stash used to make a sweater
6. SSYC: Lexie Barnes dpn case, midnight internet impulse purchase

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

Sticks and String
Permanent Resident

USA
1113 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2009 :  1:49:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sticks and String's Homepage Send Sticks and String a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haven't shopped. Finished March socks and April socks are about 3 inches away from finished. Started Pair 1 for May...

2/3 in on the scarf.

What green sweater?

:)

Jo
Go to Top of Page

fiddlerbird555
Permanent Resident

USA
1429 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2009 :  5:48:30 PM  Show Profile Send fiddlerbird555 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mittens are DONE as of this afternoon. After a bit of waffling, I tried a new technique to cast-off. Not really thrilled with it, but it is workable. I increased in each stitch, then did one row of slip-stitch double-knit, then kitchner'ed the end. Not bad, but a bit too ruffly, and not worth the effort. Might have been better if I hadn't kept to the ribbing pattern when I was increasing (knit two front & back, then purl two back & front). Ends don't really look like anything, but they are thick.

Got at least two half-finished projects I could be playing with, and a small stash of fingering wool with no project planned. Going on vacation next week.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.98 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?