Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 Addi Turbos for cuff, leg, foot working great
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SockDude
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  12:20:53 AM  Show Profile Send SockDude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi all. I just finished my first Hedgerow sock using Jane's beautiful pattern. I stuck strictly to the pattern, but I wanted to share a sock method that speeds things up for me.

I use an Addi turbo 12" needle for the cast on, cuff, leg, lower gusset and foot sections. I use matching DPN's for the heel flap, turn and beginning decreases on the gusset.

One can buy the addi turbo's in sizes down to 2.00MM. Make sure you match the addi to your DPN's. My size one DPN's say 2.25mm and the addi I bought was a size one and was 2.5mm. Needless to say I ordered another.(now I need some 2.5mm dpn's) I like to have two or three socks going to keep my interest level up. I have tried two circulars and had "ladder" problems and didn't like the craziness.

The addi's work for 48 stitches or above on yarn weights three and higher. I feel that anything less than 64 stitches in fingering weight you will need to stick to the double points. Since the leg and foot are in most cases the "boring" part, I love the fact that I can speed through those sections. With Janes' hedgerow, once you get the pattern down you can eyball the previous row and figure out what stitch. I am sure with complicated patterns I may find it too tough to figure out.

Just wanted to say hello, and encourage all new sock Knitters out there. I really like making socks and have a waiting list going.

Purrs918
Chatty Knitter

113 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  09:38:20 AM  Show Profile Send Purrs918 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm also in the middle of Jane's Hedgerow sock, my first pair using DPNs. How long is the metal part of the Addi's? It obviously works since you've had great success, but it seems that the needle would stretch out the sock since it itself can not bend - does that make sense?
Great idea - I would definitely be tempted since there is less chance of stitches falling off the ends of the dpns.

Thanks for the idea.

Bridget and JD and Scarlett too

God created the cat so that man might caress the tiger.
Go to Top of Page

SockDude
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  4:46:14 PM  Show Profile Send SockDude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the addi's have a total length of 12" tip to tip. The needle part is bent, so that it angles toward the tip and completes the circle. The "cord" is a stiff braided something or other, that makes the whole needle kind of springy. For example, after you insert the needle into the next stitch, you could let go of the right needle and it would stay there while you wrap the yarn. It takes the stress off your hands of gripping the needles. The tips are a litle blunted, so it doesn't tend to grab the yarn hairs and allows for cleaner stiches.

With the hedgerow socks, you can see the upcoming stiches, and nothing changes except the "seed stitch" center of each hedge. You can easily figure out what the pattern is by looking at the stitches and change every two rounds. It may seem like the needles are stretching the work a little, but I assure you the work is not harmed, and it actually opens the stiches up and makes it easier to knit. I do like DPN's, and I used 6" to avoid dropping stitches.

I used Yarn Market for my addi's, and they don't show a picture of the 12", so it is hard to imagine. If you lay it flat on the table, the tips nearly touch to form a circle and it stays that way.
Go to Top of Page

SockDude
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  09:51:55 AM  Show Profile Send SockDude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I should point out that if you are using less than 66 stiches in fingering weight, and 48 stiches in #3 weight, the twelve inch addi is too long. I apologize for my inexperience. I have started some socks with 60 cast on and it is too much of a stretch to use these circulars. They do work great for larger socks, or men's sizes.
Go to Top of Page

eileen tucker
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2009 :  5:29:29 PM  Show Profile Send eileen tucker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love my Hiya Hiya circ in 9" length. Granted, the metal tips aren't very long, but it does not stretch the stitches as my 12" does and I can really fly with them. i use the 9" on the leg and the foot and use Magic Circle to do the flap and heel. The 9" is available in several of the small sock sizes.
Go to Top of Page

knittingrunner
Seriously Hooked

USA
810 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  08:57:56 AM  Show Profile Send knittingrunner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find the Addis are okay for as few as 56 stitches. My issue is that having knitted 7 inches of leg in two days, I've got a split on the pad of my right finger from pushing on that somewhat sharp metal tip...the spirit is willing but the flesh is wimpy!

Naps can always be improved by adding a cat.
Go to Top of Page

SockDude
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  06:51:29 AM  Show Profile Send SockDude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have since discovered a nine inch bamboo circular at the yarn shop in Elk grove. This is working great for the fingering weight yarn and doesn't stretch the work like the 12 inch. I have only seen these at one shop. They are bamboo, with swivels and total nine inches. The brand is KA and are distributed by Russi Sales, inc. The quality is excellent.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe