Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 shawl patterns that could use colorful sock yarn
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Schleppenheimer
Seriously Hooked

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  2:06:29 PM  Show Profile Send Schleppenheimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Boy, have I hit the jackpot...

My son had the presence of mind to marry THE MOST WONDERFUL GIRL in the world recently, and they went on their honeymoon to Portland, Oregon. While there, they bought gifts for their parents (how many couples follow this tradition? I know I wasn't nice enough to do this for MY parents . . .), and they stopped into Knit/Purl yarn shop (just as it was closing . . . the wonderful proprietor asked "Is this a yarn emergency?" to which the lovely couple said "YES!") and bought me the most gorgeous skein of Happiest Girl Dyeworks sock yarn in the "unexpected" colorway. I am positively over the moon for this yarn -- it is gorgeous.

I am NOT a sock knitter, but I was thinking that this skein could make a lovely shawl or scarf -- knitted lace-type thing. I wonder about what patterns would be good for such colorful yarn -- showing off the color, but not obscuring the lace pattern? Any suggestions would be wonderful!

Kris

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  2:24:18 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kris what a lucky lady you are. It sounds like your son found a keeper. Let us know what you decide to knit with the yarn.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2356 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  2:38:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are a number of nice designs in the Lavish Lace book, and all are designed for variegated yarn. Another one that comes to mind is the Shoalwater Shawl, which is a Fiber Trends pattern. You didn't mention the yardage, but if you have at least 300-400 yards there are quite a few options.

What a nice gift!

Shelia
www.letstalkstash.blogspot.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits
Go to Top of Page

Schleppenheimer
Seriously Hooked

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  2:58:24 PM  Show Profile Send Schleppenheimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I realized that I didn't put the yardage -- which is 462, for a 100 gram skein.

Thanks for the suggestions so far -- I'm off to look up the Lavish Lace book!

Kris
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  7:44:21 PM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is sometimes difficult to find a good match of lace stitch with variegated yarn. I would recommend Feather and Fan or one of it's variations such as Crest o' the Wave. I've done some scarves and cowls with those and they are lovely. Otherwise I've tried a lot of other lace patterns and they always come out looking too busy and the lace pattern gets lost.
Go to Top of Page

Outdoorknitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
211 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  9:40:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Outdoorknitter's Homepage Send Outdoorknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are a lucky Mother-in-law!

Heartstring's Ring of Lace (http://stores.localneedle.com/-strse-731/Heartstrings-Fiber-Arts-Knit/Detail.bok comes to my mind.

Joan
The Local Needle

Go to Top of Page

Schleppenheimer
Seriously Hooked

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  06:29:49 AM  Show Profile Send Schleppenheimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Joan -- I ordered the "Heartstrings Ring of Lace" pattern! That looks perfect!

Kris
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  07:12:51 AM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you use the Heartstrings pattern you'll want to go up a couple of sizes in needles because it's written for laceweight yarn. Also, I'd recommend doing a swatch in pattern to see whether the yarn is suitable. The color changes on sock yarn are usually shorter than hand dyed laceweight due to the fact that sock yarn is meant for knitting in smaller circumferences and may not make the same effect as in the pattern.
Go to Top of Page

Schleppenheimer
Seriously Hooked

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  12:05:13 PM  Show Profile Send Schleppenheimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I was thinking about the difference between sock yarn and hand-dyed laceweight yarns. I will try the swatch to see how the colors are affected. Thanks for the advice!
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  02:28:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is what I am planning to make with my latest find of sock wool https://www.elann.com/ShowFreePattern.asp?Id=306024

Wen

2009 stats: 1 FO, 8 WIP, 0 frogpond.
http://www.flickr.com/groups/kr_members/
http://wenswoolgatherings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Schleppenheimer
Seriously Hooked

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  12:13:14 PM  Show Profile Send Schleppenheimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oooooh, that cowl is pretty . . .
Go to Top of Page

Outdoorknitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
211 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  8:47:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Outdoorknitter's Homepage Send Outdoorknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Calamintha you are absolutely right. This is the 2nd time that I have 'thought' that that particular pattern called for a sock weight...in a matter of days.

Not paying attention and the only thing I have to blame is the inventory I've been taking!

I appreciate you pointing it out and perhaps I need a holiday, or two!
Joan

Joan
The Local Needle

Go to Top of Page

frenetic@charter.net
Permanent Resident

1386 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  03:38:49 AM  Show Profile Send frenetic@charter.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Forest Canopy shawl uses about 320 yards and would work in a varigated yarn.
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Catlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

393 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  4:45:05 PM  Show Profile Send Catlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I made a Clapotis using sock yarn and a size 4 needle. I used a hand-dyed yarn and love the results. There have been many compliments. You can see a partial photo of it on my profile on Ravelry.
Go to Top of Page

Woollymama
Gabber Extraordinaire

540 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2009 :  5:54:11 PM  Show Profile Send Woollymama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You raised a caring, good-hearted son, and your DIL is a gem.
The yarn is gorgeous:
http://www.knit-purl.com/Products/ProductDetail.php?Inventory_ID=Y20607-02&PHPSESSID=1a3fa496dae7031a71be4076586e91e1
To prevent pooling you could wind the yarn into a center-pull skein and knit alternating rows from each yarn end (one from the center, one from the outside of the skein), using circular needles.
You can knit shawls in heavier weights than lace weight and larger needles--you just need to swatch.

woollymama
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?