Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Felting Talk
 General Felting Discussion
 laptop cover?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ValerieG
Chatty Knitter

107 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  09:36:32 AM  Show Profile Send ValerieG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Id like to felt a cover for my laptop. Does anyone know if there is a problem with static when covering your laptop with wool?

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2756 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  09:40:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, but overheating and lint would be big concerns for me.

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/ UPDATED! WITH PICS!
Go to Top of Page

ValerieG
Chatty Knitter

107 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  2:52:56 PM  Show Profile Send ValerieG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This would just be for storage/carrying but I hadn't thought about lint.
Hmmmm.
Go to Top of Page

needler
New Pal

27 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  06:15:20 AM  Show Profile Send needler a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some good thoughts. The static question reminds me that I should consider using a fabric softener when felting to help reduce static--I wonder if this would hamper the felting process. If so, I might mix up some with water and lightly spray the inside of the sleeve occasionally and let it thoroughly dry. Any more thoughts on this?
needler
Go to Top of Page

Mocha
Permanent Resident

Singapore
2903 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2010 :  02:27:57 AM  Show Profile Send Mocha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a big no-no to me..with the static and all those halo around it.
Would you consider giving it a fabric or proper lining if you insist on knitting it?
Go to Top of Page

tink_r_bell
Chatty Knitter

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2010 :  2:13:00 PM  Show Profile Send tink_r_bell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As an IT, especially break and fix, a felted laptop cover is not a good idea, unless, as Mocha says, it is completely lined inside, and no wool touches the laptop. Still, I wouldn't risk it. Tiny pieces of fiber migrate everywhere into the laptop interior. I have seen laptops that die unnatural deaths from lint and fiber. Please no!

Steph ;-}

To err is human, just try not to over do it.
Go to Top of Page

ValerieG
Chatty Knitter

107 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2010 :  09:59:26 AM  Show Profile Send ValerieG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FYI I did not knit a cover...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?