Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 storage idea for dpns
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jdboysmom
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  08:53:33 AM  Show Profile Send jdboysmom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like to keep my needles out in flower pots, but when I need dpns I have to spend precious knitting time trying to find the correct sizes and all the needles of the set. I bought some glitter at Wal-Mart to use with my Sunday School kids and discovered that the tubes it comes in are perfect for holding a set of dpns. I have them standing up in a decorative box with a tag around one of the needles in each set identifying the size. The box and cute tags look nice and it will save time when I need to find a set of dpns. If anyone has other storage ideas for very limited space, I would love to hear them!

purlewe
Permanent Resident

1921 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  09:29:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlewe's Homepage Send purlewe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I put all of my crochet hooks in an old cigar tin. Now mind you it isn't a cigar box, but a tin much like the tube you described above. I like it b'c it is old fashioned, the tin has a screw top, and all my crochet hooks are in one place.

Thanks for your tip!

My mother made me a homosexual.
And if you give her some yarn, she'll make you one too. ~quentin crisp

http://purlewe.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2754 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  09:38:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used travel toothbrush cases for my DPN's, then used my label maker to put the size on there.

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/ UPDATED! WITH PICS!
Go to Top of Page

neraksenrab
Chatty Knitter

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  06:38:54 AM  Show Profile Send neraksenrab a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I purchased pencil pocket inserts for children's notebooks from the office supply store or dollar store. There are two pockets, the front pocket is "see through" and that is where I store the double points and the back pocket is where I store my circular needles. I use one pencil pocket for each size and label the front. All the needles I need for a hat,etc. (both circulars and double points) are then in one place and I just grab and go.
Karen
Go to Top of Page

jdboysmom
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  08:49:41 AM  Show Profile Send jdboysmom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great ideas! I was bragging about my resourcefulness in the teacher's lounge, and the science teacher suggested test tubes. They even have inexpensive test tube holders to keep it organized. I'm afraid it wouldn't work for me - glass and all....
Go to Top of Page

Birdie Mom
Chatty Knitter

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  09:00:10 AM  Show Profile Send Birdie Mom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have many sets of dpns, size 0, in various lengths, and keep them in a handmade clay pot on the mantle. I often use different lengths for the various parts of a sock.

Birdie Mom
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3464 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  10:44:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like to keep my DPNs in a needle roll that I bought on etsy:
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=105867
There's one pocket per size of DPNs and I keep different lengths in different rows.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will be on the lookout for tubes!
Go to Top of Page

Dicksie
Permanent Resident

USA
1995 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  10:51:46 AM  Show Profile Send Dicksie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DellaQ makes a beautiful soft DP needle case. I just bought their interchangeable case for my Addi Clicks.
Dicksie

http://tourdirector.smugmug.com/gallery/529635
Go to Top of Page

Kathleen-NYC
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  12:08:13 PM  Show Profile Send Kathleen-NYC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recycle the tall Crystal Light drink mix plastic containers for DPNs and the short ones for crochet hooks.

I have an old cut glass pitcher that's much to heavy to use - I keep my other knitting needles displayed in that on the bookcase behind the couch.

Go to Top of Page

lharter
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  9:35:25 PM  Show Profile Send lharter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use a "worm binder" that I got from Bass Pro Shop. It is a binder with many clear ziplock dividers and a canvas cover that zips. It is meant for fishing lures, but works great for dpn's and also circular needles. Each ziplock holds one size.
Go to Top of Page

Pampered Punkin
New Pal

47 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  10:31:01 PM  Show Profile Send Pampered Punkin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by minh

I like to keep my DPNs in a needle roll that I bought on etsy:
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=105867
There's one pocket per size of DPNs and I keep different lengths in different rows.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will be on the lookout for tubes!

**Trisha**

I will walk by faith, even when I cannot see.

http://knitsterchick.blogspot.com/
http://www.myspace.com/knitsterchick
Go to Top of Page

Pampered Punkin
New Pal

47 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  10:36:24 PM  Show Profile Send Pampered Punkin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
" I like to keep my DPNs in a needle roll that I bought on etsy:
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=105867 "

I really like her cases. She does good work. I made a case similar to this for a friend for Christmas. I almost ordered one of Sarah's but decided to make something unique that only my friend will have. I am working on one for myself right now with some pretty embroidery work on the front.

Until my case is finished, my needles will remain in their current location: dpns and circs. are in a paper mache box that I painted about 6 years ago and straight needles are in a glass vase that I found at a yard sale for 50 cents.

**Trisha**

I will walk by faith, even when I cannot see.

http://knitsterchick.blogspot.com/
http://www.myspace.com/knitsterchick
Go to Top of Page

Susan1006
New Pal

33 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  05:56:00 AM  Show Profile Send Susan1006 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I cut sponges to fit inthe bottom of special coffee mugs and have 0-3 dpns in one, 4-8 in another and bigger in another. Since most of my dpns are Susan Bates and Boye, the colors make them easy to identify and since I have multiple sets to make socks or whatever two at a time on dpns, it keeps me sane. My options dpns are in the pack they came in. No way would I mix those guys up together.

Knit on with confidence and hope through all crises. EZ
Go to Top of Page

singfasola
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  06:21:08 AM  Show Profile Send singfasola a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The flower pot idea won't work well for me because the cat will have those needles all over the floor in a heartbeat. I have a very old (50's? 60's?) needle roll with pockets for dps and straights from size 00 through size 8 - size 8 was a big needle back then! Generally I can get two needle sets in each pocket, great for different lengths! Good storage for larger straights is still a problem for me, but I've discovered that large cosmetic bags (for travelling) are a good solution for "collecting" dpns and circs, which I attempt to keep in their original packaging. (I like the glitter tube idea for dpns!!)

I have one cosmetic bag that's about 8" by 8", with an oval top and flat bottom. I just put my circs and dpns -in their packaging - right in. The packaging gets preserved (so you know the needle size!) and the packaging doesn't get lost (you put the packaging back in the bag). For my old circs without the original packaging I use zipper freezer bags with the size written on the bag with a Sharpee marker. I find the cosmetic bag an ideal way to store circs, which really defy any other method that I've seen. The trick, if there is one, is finding a cosmetic bag that's tall enough. I also keep my needle sizer in this, just in case.

Off topic, I find that a smaller zipper cosmetic bag is just the ticket for tapestry needles, boxes of markers, stitch holders, row/stitch counters, small scissors, the crochet hooks you use to catch dropped stitches, and all those other small things that you'd have to hunt for otherwise.
Go to Top of Page

jenesei@comcast.net
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  06:22:51 AM  Show Profile Send jenesei@comcast.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have so many dpns, in many sizes, lengths, and materials. Bamboo, wood, metal, plastic. I finally bought the Circular Solutions DPN case, and it's wonderful. Folded, it's about the size of a magazine. Open, it has labeled pockets for all sizes and 3 lengths. I finally feel like my DPNs are under control.
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  06:54:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I keep the 5" & 6" dpns in a cloth roll up needle case intended for crochet hooks. The 7" & 8" dpns are in an Ashland Sky roll up needle case. I have a few 10" & 11" dpns which are in a cloth roll up case along with some straight needles.

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr
Go to Top of Page

cmerril44
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  07:30:53 AM  Show Profile Send cmerril44 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also use pencil pockets. They cost $1 at Walmart. I bought one for each size, and keep them in a 3" notebook with the size written on the front of each page in marker. I also keep a needle sizer in the pocket in the front of the notebook so I can remember where to put back my needles. I have been so thrilled with this method. I also was surprised to learn how many sets of dp needles I had in some sizes (5, for example) but I had never been organized enough to know that before.
Go to Top of Page

pegeen.geo@comcast.net
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  07:36:03 AM  Show Profile Send pegeen.geo@comcast.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Needles are in a variety of places: DPN's are in toothbrush holders by size and length. The longer ones are in tool or craft cases that have long narrow rows. Circulars are currently in large ziplock bags in a binder, waiting to be moved to a cloth hanging holder where they can rest unwound!! Accessories are in clear (see through) notebook pencil cases separated by markers, various needles, stitch holder, cable needles, etc of various sizes. The longer we knit, crochet, craft, the larger the supply grows<G>, including our "stash".
Go to Top of Page

emjaspina
New Pal

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  07:45:02 AM  Show Profile Send emjaspina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used to have a dedicated drawer in my desk, which contained all knitting needles, bobbins, crochet hooks, stitch markers, etc. No matter how I tried to keep things organized in there, needles in their original packages, it was always a mess. Now, I keep all my straight needles, points down, in an antique measuring flask from my grandfathers drug store. (The glass is kind of thick, so it won't break unless I drop it.) My double pointed needles are all in an clay pot, made by Native Americans from pink clay found in northern Pennsylvania. Each set of needles is rubber banded together, but the rubber band is below the lip of the pot, so you can't see it. Circular needles stil reside in that drawer, but I've seen some good ideas here for them. My only problem now is remembering to return the needles when I finish with them. I still somehow seem to end up searching for needles about half the time I'm starting a new project.

MarciaSpina
Go to Top of Page

kcknitnut
New Pal

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  09:17:39 AM  Show Profile Send kcknitnut a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guess I'm a bit organized. I store my DPNs in the packet they come in. No search for size this way.

KC
Go to Top of Page

kcknitnut
New Pal

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  09:24:30 AM  Show Profile Send kcknitnut a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I should add that as a group those packets are stored in a can that peanuts came in YEARS ago. When we moved into our new home,3 yrs ago, a bed room was changed into my "sewing" room. There is a cupboard there that houses just needles. There is a case for circulars, a box for straights made by my son when he was in high school some 30 yrs ago and the can of DPNs

KC

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.01 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.