Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 WHERE TO BUY A KNITTING JOURNAL?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

iamknittycat
New Pal

34 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2009 :  09:03:23 AM  Show Profile Send iamknittycat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure what category my question falls into, so here's hoping someone will read this - - - I would LOVE a knitting journal/book - to keep a record of projects, yarns used, time spent, etc, etc, etc. I can't seem to find one on line, at my LYS,or on ETSY. If you have bought one lately, could you share "where"? Would love to hear your ideas - what do you use? Or don't you?

noallatin
Chatty Knitter

285 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2009 :  10:26:44 AM  Show Profile Send noallatin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to author Debbie Macomber, http://www.debbiemacomber.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=knitting&pageID=34 you can get knitting journals at the sites listed at the bottom of the page.

I think I've seen one in the craft section of Barnes & Noble as well.
Go to Top of Page

Sticks and String
Permanent Resident

USA
1113 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2009 :  10:31:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sticks and String's Homepage Send Sticks and String a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I make knitting journals. I take blank books and cover the front, back and inside the front and back with collages of knitting relevant paper and other items. I make a bookmark to go with each one which lives in a pocket inside the front or back. I customize them for friends and give them as gifts. I've branched out into making other types of journals, too.

I started doing this because like you, I went looking and didn't find anything on the retail market.

Jo
Go to Top of Page

socker
Chatty Knitter

258 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2009 :  10:45:51 AM  Show Profile Send socker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Probably not what you are looking for, but, I find mine at my friendly neighborhood office supply store. It's called a steno pad. ;) It's the perfect size for my bag, it's cheap, and easy to find a new one when the old one is full.
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2009 :  2:04:37 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You don't really need a special knitting journal per se. You could use a nice blank journal if you wanted. There are a lot of pretty ones on the market. Or, you could just carry a spiral notebook in your knitting bag for jotting things down. Then, when you're done, write up your notes into something more legible and put them in a project file.

There are lots of ways of maintaining records of your knitting.

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

Sher
Permanent Resident

1292 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2009 :  5:50:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Sher a Yahoo! Message Send Sher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you considered going cyber? Ravelry has really helped me to document my projects and stash.
Go to Top of Page

Laxmom4x
Gabber Extraordinaire

527 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2009 :  04:15:15 AM  Show Profile Send Laxmom4x a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got a lovely one at Borders a couple of years ago. Sadly I don't use it much...

Janet
"Change is inevitable except from a vending machine"
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4391 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2009 :  06:01:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clarkson Potter publishes two knitting journals -- Knitspiration Journal by Fiona Ellis and What I Made which is a mini journal. Your friendly neighborhood independent bookstore ought to be able to order them for you.

When I keep track of my projects, I tend to do it online -- in Ravelry or on my blog. I've never managed to keep up with writing it down in a book, though I do have spiral notebooks where I keep design notes and calculations. They're a mess!

Jane

Betty needs a vacation: Support KR
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1809 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2009 :  6:08:08 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And Meg Swanson at Schoolhouse Press has two journals to sell, with lovely covers from her own photographs.

http://www.schoolhousepress.com/tools.htm

Anna
Go to Top of Page

iamknittycat
New Pal

34 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2009 :  11:51:38 AM  Show Profile Send iamknittycat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Browsed thru the schoolhousepress.com site - lots of nice things - thanks. Luann is helping me out with a journal she doesn't use - we made a great trade! Thanks all for your info - learned alot - will keep trying the "cyber"route too, but like to have something "in hand" also. Snow, snow and more snow where I am - got to continue knitting!!!
Go to Top of Page

robbyknits
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  1:50:40 PM  Show Profile Send robbyknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I created my own using a composition book. I tape in the yarn, the date, who I made an item for, sometimes the yarn label and other notes. I keep thinking I'll put photos in but haven't yet. I love lists and journaling but decided to spend money on yarn not another journal!
Go to Top of Page

usedtobe35
New Pal

12 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  6:36:46 PM  Show Profile Send usedtobe35 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got one for Christmas. Simply entitled "Knit: a personal Handbook. " Found on Amazon, ISBN 1-58479-357-0. It has space for favorite stores, web sites, info on different weights, a little needle gauge, and lots of empty pages. It's great!
Go to Top of Page

Jenny B.
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
440 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2009 :  08:52:06 AM  Show Profile Send Jenny B. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few years ago I got "Knitting Journal" by Char Loving. ISBN 1-931543-38-0. It was well designed, but I never kept it up. I have better luck doing it all on Ravelry.

http://www.amazon.com/Knitting-Journal-Char-Loving/dp/1931543380/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232207414&sr=8-1

Ballewbird
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2009 :  09:14:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ravelry keep your journal and see everyone else's
Knitable keep the info on your laptop, desktop, or handheld
Flickr post your pictures and all the info you want to record, free up to 200 pictures

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr
Go to Top of Page

scraffan
Permanent Resident

1844 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2009 :  08:51:09 AM  Show Profile Send scraffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a little journal that I use for special projects. It is the type you could pick up in a stionary department at any store.
I put the name of the project, the yarn used, why the project was made, whom it was made for, whether I enjoyed it or not.
Then I put all pictures into my Flicr account and from Flickr they go to Raverly where I try to keep all my projects up to date. Usually the only projects that I have in Raverly that don't have pictures are wips. The exception is my mittered vest that I am working on.
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2009 :  2:39:29 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure I'd trust any online source as a permanent way of keeping track of projects. Stuff happens to online sites. For example, a couple of months ago AOL decided stop doing image hosting. They gave some warning, but one day everything just vanished. I'd rather keep my own records and back them up.

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  10:38:26 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Anne. I'll use Ravelry and Flickr but will make my own discs of anything up on them. I've been around the internet to know that she's right. My own experience taught me that Yahoo didn't last forever as an owner of a photo wrangling site, nor did their policies or partnerships at flickr.

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.
Zippiknits
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  11:21:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by abt1950

Not sure I'd trust any online source as a permanent way of keeping track of projects. Stuff happens to online sites.

That's for sure and that's why I still use Knitable along with Ravelry.
Also, Knitable is in my pocketbook
when I'm out and the instant info has many times
prevented me from buying needles or patterns that I already own.

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  6:23:49 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is an English magazine called Simply Knitting and in their December issue No. 48, they are giving away as a free gift a knitting diary, its quite good, maybe that's worth a look.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose
Go to Top of Page

Susan1006
New Pal

33 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  06:09:01 AM  Show Profile Send Susan1006 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am intimidated by special journals and so I just keep a spiral bound notebook where I make a note of EVERYTHING I cast on. What it is supposed to end up being, pattern name if I know it, size of needles, yarn, no. of stitches, etc. Then I date it and then I write "frogged" and why, if it doesn't work out. Takes only a few minutes, and lets me know lots about my improvement as a knitter, and what has worked and what hasn't. Plus, sometimes, I get to write "finished" and the date. I also write things like "never use this yarn again", or "what a nice pattern", or "I changed to size 6 needles after the third increase", blah, blah, blah. It's a personal notebook and I have found it invaluable. I make "official" notes on the right hand side, and add comments on the left facing page. Just my two cents.

Knit on with confidence and hope through all crises. EZ
Go to Top of Page

aknitster
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  06:51:17 AM  Show Profile Send aknitster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer the flexibility of a 3-ring binder. My favorite patterns are kept there, each in a sheet protector along with any notes I made while knitting the project, the yarn label, the swatch, a photo of the finished project, whom I made the item for, and the date. It's great! If I want to knit a pattern, I just slip it out of the sheet protector or take the sheet protector out of the binder and I'm ready to go. If I need to refer back to a pattern to see exactly what I did, it's all right there. The flexibilty is what is so desirable for me. The ability to move things around (put all the sock patterns together, for example) and add to or remove things is a great feature.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.73 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?