Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Knitting challenges (not stashing) resolutions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1784 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2009 :  6:40:00 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to get back to Kim's original post on the resolution thing: what challenges in knitting would we like to "resolve" to have a go at?

Mine would be:

* Entrelac- I will try a Knee Rug from some Noro Kochoran in my stash.

* The Forest Path Stole (fear and trembling) from stash yarn bought for it.

* Mittens with a lining of Kidsilk Haze (my own design)

* Kitchener Stitch: over on "Knitting Daily" Sandi posted an alternative way using knitting, not sewing, and I just might remember how to do it with that method.

* The hardest one: knitting a sweater for myself. I was a dressmaker previously, and fitting was one of my specialties. I am a difficult body to fit, and have avoided knitting for myself, despite loads of yarn in my stash for my own sweaters!

* Purling Continental style with my left thumb carrying the yarn to loop over.

What challenges are you all thinking of, like Kim's steek challenge, and mine above?

Anna

noallatin
Chatty Knitter

276 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2009 :  6:52:38 PM  Show Profile Send noallatin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to finish the sweater I started.

I want to finish the lace scarf I started.

I want to learn how to do wrap and turn short row heels.

Intarsia

I think that's enough for the time being.
Go to Top of Page

Sticks and String
Permanent Resident

USA
1113 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  08:35:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sticks and String's Homepage Send Sticks and String a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to knit myself an actual sweater. A sweater, not a shrug. That will fit. That I will wear. With buttons, too. A cardigan. For me. Yup, this is what I want to do.

I may revisit Continental style knittng this year. I do use two hands when I knit Fair Isle but still purl with the throw. I'm not worried about speed. I knit fast enough that when I say "...and it works/ed up really fast!" I'm seeing people roll their eyes at me...lol. (I apparently have to stop saying "It's dead easy." and "Anyone can do it." because people just aren't believing me!) I would like an alternate hand position for when my hands get stressed with knitting by throwing. So maybe more practice with Continental...?

Jo
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  10:15:53 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is year to knit from my stash so I will be doing lots of socks. I have yarn to several stoles, a couple of sweaters, and lots of socks.

Wanda
My Blog
Ravelry - gwtreece
Go to Top of Page

amazing grace
Chatty Knitter

107 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  1:08:37 PM  Show Profile Send amazing grace a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learn to knit continental

Learn Fair Isle style knitting

Knit a pair of socks

Finish my Tiger's Eye Shawl

http://ramblingrace.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nwilson02
Chatty Knitter

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  1:33:19 PM  Show Profile Send nwilson02 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More Cables.

I did my first cable project in December (still working on it) and really like doing cables. I'd like to learn the more complicated patterns this year if I can find a pattern I like that will fit my body. LOL
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  4:46:19 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finishing my UFOs--or at least cutting the number by half.

Fair Isle--I did my first project a week ago & I need to keep the momentum

Knitting down the stash, which is close to STABLE.

Doing the works already in my queue that I have the patterns and yarn for.

Learn some other skill--entrelac might be nice, continental purling (for back and forth fair isle), designing in the round, whatever--something I haven't done before.

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

Catlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

390 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  4:52:04 PM  Show Profile Send Catlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finishing at least a UFO a month and working on my queue of already purchased yarn and patterns. That's enough to last more than a year!
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  06:50:33 AM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beside the usual - stash use, wips done - I want to actually put together a lot of the bits of info/techniques into some form that I can easily use as a reference. When I start a new project, I have to hunt everywhere for these tips to remind myself. There are so many tips on techniques here in KR and other places that I read, maybe bookmark, then forget about. Gathering information in one place is a goal, and then, I would like to make some samplers of various techniques, also to be used as reference. I think this will save me some time, but maybe more importantly improve my knitting skills as things I want to try would be at hand, not forgotten somewhere.

A few years ago, I organized patterns and such into binders and once I did that, I found it so much easier to find things. That experience gives me a bit of incentive to do this.

Go to Top of Page

fiddlerbird555
Permanent Resident

USA
1429 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  07:41:03 AM  Show Profile Send fiddlerbird555 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I mentioned it on that thread. Norwegian-style mittens for DH, with distinctly non-Norwegian motifs.

Beyond that, some nice fingerless mitts for myself. If I really feel like a challenge, I'll make a subsequent pair as gloves (i.e. with individual fingers)

Low on the list, try to find a nice soft yarn, and make socks for DD that she will wear. She likes the show-off aspect of "Mommy made these" but doesn't like the way what I've made (so far) feels on her feet. Step one -- invert the stockinette stitch on the sole.

I can go loopy, or I can knit. Your choice.
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  07:48:20 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My only resolution is to learn to make the mittens that RachelKnitter used to make, or maybe still does. I love those things.

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.
Zippiknits
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  11:13:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...I hadn't thought about 2009 knitting in this way, but yes, there are definitely a few challenges I want to pose myself:
  • entrelac - I have a washcloth pattern to experiment with;
  • get back to Fair Isle, as it's been too long since I've practiced it, and I have a vest I want to do up from "Folk Vests";
  • make something with a steek -- eek! ; and
  • get better at spinning and plying (I began just this past fall)

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1673 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  3:41:56 PM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some of the challenges that I would like to tackle would be .....
finish the Great American Aran Afghan, fair isle knitting and to do some more lace.
judy
Go to Top of Page

beltempest
New Pal

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2009 :  12:15:27 PM  Show Profile Send beltempest a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to try my hand at double knitting this year.
Go to Top of Page

fiddlerbird555
Permanent Resident

USA
1429 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2009 :  1:37:26 PM  Show Profile Send fiddlerbird555 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beltempest

I want to try my hand at double knitting this year.

Double-knitting is fun! You've got complete freedom over a two-color pattern -- no limits on how many stitches or rows of the same color to do.

I can go loopy, or I can knit. Your choice.
Go to Top of Page

Gelliott
Seriously Hooked

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2009 :  4:24:27 PM  Show Profile Send Gelliott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am hoping that 2009 will be the year I cut my first steek!

Gelliott
Go to Top of Page

sooterl@msn.com
Warming Up

63 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2009 :  10:21:28 PM  Show Profile Send sooterl@msn.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Improving my Fair Isle technique. My gauge is tighter when I throw than when I pick. I need to even that out. Once that is done, I will be ready to conquer a steek.
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3935 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  05:49:12 AM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to steek also.

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3457 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  3:36:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fair Isle
More sweater knitting
More knitting!!(I spend more time thinking and reading about knitting than actually knitting...)
Go to Top of Page

busygirl
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
1673 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  12:19:54 PM  Show Profile Send busygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I didn't do as much knitting as I would have liked during 2008,so am hoping to complete more projects this year.
At the moment I am busy knitting socks - I have finished the first sock of the pair I am making and am now busy with the second one,so my 'challenge' is to get my first pair of socks of 2009 finished.

Leslie

My Blog
http://au.360.yahoo.com/abreyleslie
My Pics
http://www.flickr.com/photos/busygirl/
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  4:56:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
finish finish finish. I have so many WIPs I want to wear!

My main challenge for this year is to modify patterns to get a good fit as I'm now a DD!

Wen

2009 stats: 1 FO, 8 WIP, 0 frogpond.
http://www.flickr.com/groups/kr_members/
http://wenswoolgatherings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.69 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000