Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Crochet Talk
 Crochet for beginners - basic questions
 help with crochet instructions?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PatriciaS
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
537 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2008 :  7:48:01 PM  Show Profile Send PatriciaS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, I don't really understand these instructions from a free flyer from Lion (the kind you take off the pad attached to shelves at Michael's, etc.) for those "potato chip" ruffled scarves, made of Moonlght Mohair:

PROBLEM NO. 1
Ch 141.
Rnd 1 (RS) Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across to last ch, 3 sc in last ch; working across opposite side of foundation ch, sc in each ch across, working 2 sc in last ch; join with sl st in first sc; tun -- 282 sc.

I put the part I don't understand in red. First, it didn't call for a foundation chain, UNLESS I created that with the first row of sc -- ??

Second, what am I doing here? am I making two rows of stitches from the original bottom chain, and then joining them at the edges as if I were making a tube (a very, very, very wide one?)? Each successive row (2 - 4) increases the total stitches, to 423, 635 and 847 respectively.

Thanks in advance.

-----------------------
Check out our fabulous handcrafted beads and jewelry: http://www.bejeweled-beads-and-jewelry.com/ and
my herbal remedies site: http://www.Home-Remedies-That-Work.com

Fraggle
Seriously Hooked

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2008 :  8:38:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fraggle's Homepage Send Fraggle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The foundation chain is the Ch 141 that you have now worked across and yes you are making two rows of stitches from that original bottom chain. Instead of turning the work you are just going to continue on what would "normally" be the bottom of the work.

You have it right in your head, you never turn the work just continue going around and around.

Hope that helps.

~ Fraggle

". . . Or if you send me your size I'll knit you a new one" -Hawkeye on M*A*S*H

My websites:
Fraggle's World and For Me?! Knit-a-long
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2008 :  06:58:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Second, what am I doing here? am I making two rows of stitches from the original bottom chain, and then joining them at the edges as if I were making a tube (a very, very, very wide one?)?"

No, the "join" is when you reach the end of the row worked into the back of the original chain and slip stitch into the very first stitch you made, which is the one right in front of you.

Keep knitting, this too shall pass.
Go to Top of Page

PatriciaS
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
537 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  3:20:26 PM  Show Profile Send PatriciaS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you both, so much. Now i have a pretty good idea of what this is all about -- I do wish that patterns would routinely carry a plain text description of what the pattern does. Wouldn't that be helpful? Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to check for answers and offer my thanks.

Patricia

-----------------------
Check out our fabulous handcrafted beads and jewelry: http://www.bejeweled-beads-and-jewelry.com/ and
my herbal remedies site: http://www.Home-Remedies-That-Work.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?