Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Felting Talk
 Best yarns and fibers for felting
 Noro Kochoran
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cbaum
Chatty Knitter

111 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  4:58:43 PM  Show Profile Send cbaum a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I have two skeins of kochoran. Will this yarn felt well? If yes, it there a tote pattern out there that would work well with this yarn?

Thanks!

Allie

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  8:36:33 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ellie, this yarn has 50% wool and 30% angora. Usually, you need at least 85% feltable animal fiber to felt successfully. The only way you will know for sure is to felt a swatch.

That said, this particular yarn is so nice and rather spendy; are you sure you want to felt it?

As for having enough for a tote - 252 yards isn't a great deal - but you could search http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/felted_items.php and see what they have that might work for you in the line of totes and/or felted items.

M L
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2366 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2008 :  12:40:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was given a felted bag made with Kochoran, and it felted very nicely. There is, however, a very, very visible angora halo on the felted material. I didn't like it on the outside of the bag and gave it a short "haircut" with scissors, so now it's more like a plush fabric. Hard to describe but very pretty. I left the inside long, and it's just like petting a bunny when I put my hand inside the bag.

HTH!

Shelia
www.letstalkstash.blogspot.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits
Go to Top of Page

cbaum
Chatty Knitter

111 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2008 :  1:59:43 PM  Show Profile Send cbaum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you both! I may try a felted bag with this yarn.

I'm not sure I would like the angora for anything wearable..

Allie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?