Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning Techniques
 Advice for spinning laceweight yarn
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Luba
New Pal

Australia
34 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2008 :  02:39:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luba's Homepage Send Luba a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,

I have just discovered spinning lace weight yarn. I have never been able to get the yarn thin enough becaude I have always carded my fiber. I'm now trying to preserve the parallel formation of the fibers through the washing and combing processes. I haven't got any special laceweight spinning equipment. I do use a very light tension though. Just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to spin better fine yarns?

Kind regards,
Luba

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2008 :  4:59:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not an expert here but I don't really think that preparation has much to do with the ability to spin a fine yarn. You need to draft out less fibres than you do for a thicker yarn but make sure you have enough twist to keep the thread from drifting apart.

KathyR

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.
My Blog
http://www.flickr.com/groups/kr_members/ (Roselea Fibres)
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2008 :  5:23:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, Kathy is right. The lightest tension and takeup will work wonders....a parallel prep can help, but since many spinners are better with woolen, this might not be as crucial for some folks.

Kelley
Check out my solar-dyed yarns at http://www.ceallachdyes.com
and my blog at http://ceallachknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knottyknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
3702 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2008 :  5:35:00 PM  Show Profile Send knottyknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What Kelley and Kathy say is right - light tension is one of the main keys. Also, since getting enough twist in is very important too (although the longer the fibers / staple, the less important it becomes), using one of your higher ratios is very helpful as well, as you'll get more twist more quickly.

Please support my walk for Breast Cancer - Seattle 3-Day Walk September 12-14
http://www.the3day.org/goto/knottyknitter

http://www.virtualknitter.com
My NEW blog
Go to Top of Page

Katheroni
Permanent Resident

USA
1407 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2008 :  10:01:41 PM  Show Profile Send Katheroni a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What the others said. Also, a bit of pre-drafting could help.
Go to Top of Page

davidrv
New Pal

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  07:51:17 AM  Show Profile Send davidrv a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Choosing the right fiber is also important in making lace weight yarn. Coarse fiber still needs some minimum number of fibers to make a stable yarn, so the tried and true "easy" wools like Romney or Shetland can be more difficult to manage.

Many people like a substantial "halo" on lace weights, so any kind of combed top wouldn't be the first choice for this. Fine or super-fine wool, maybe carded with angora or a camelid down make great fuzzy lace-weight woollen yarn. Coarser fiber will need to be in combed top and spun worsted, or the smallest you can do easily will be fingering or sport, and there will be little or no halo.

Teeswater is a neglected fine wool that will draft out to lace-weight even with really long-draw woolen technique. It's longish staple makes a very strong lace-weight yarn with a modest halo.

David

(Spin, knit, crochet, tat, bobbin lace)
Go to Top of Page

knkurz
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2008 :  2:30:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit knkurz's Homepage Send knkurz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have recently been spinning lace-weight qiviut, and it is definitely important to make sure you have enough twist. The yarn I spun most recently doesn't have enough, and it drifts apart so easily that I can't continue to spin until I backtrack enough to find a stronger spot. This means lots of carding and respinning for me
Go to Top of Page

lisaandjo
New Pal

Australia
6 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2011 :  10:29:11 PM  Show Profile Send lisaandjo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ! washing, & or combing is likely to cause more problems for you, and no substitute good carding, What you are attempting is a challenge, are you using a wheel with 2 drive bands?? or does it use scotch tensioning??? is the drive band/s, cotton or polycord?? what do you use to card your fibre?? Hand, or Drum Carder.
As other replies have indicated Slow wheel speed, Minimum tension, Accurate/Consistent drafting, from a small source, As long a staple as possible, enough twist and not overspun, will do the trick. You'll be a star in no time at all !
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe