Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Felting Talk
 Best yarns and fibers for felting
 wool yarn with nylon will it felt?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gtucker
New Pal

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2008 :  10:49:54 PM  Show Profile Send gtucker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am hoping somone knows if 95 percent wool with 5 percent nylon will it felt? I want a textured yarn like bouchel { not right spelling} but I cant find one without nylon in it. I wanted something textured for making felted lamb

mertle
Permanent Resident

USA
1729 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2008 :  05:48:07 AM  Show Profile Send mertle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, yeah! Well, the answer should be "most likely."

Certainly it depends on the particular yarn, so I'd recommend a small swatch. It won't take much to tell if it'll felt like you want it.

I've felted successfully with as little as 50% wool. Caron's Black Magic and Lionbrand's Landscapes come to mind along with several combinations of yarns I've used.

Click here to see a bag made with Lionbrand Boucle and 2 strands of Paton's Classic Merino. It made for some bulky knitting on size 15 needles, but that doesn't bother me (thank goodness). Turned out nicely, and sold to boot!

When you look at my bags, you'll see many made with Fun Fur, Fancy Fur (fur with the pom poms), and others with just pom pom yarn carried along with 2 strands of wool. Click here for one of my favorites. This one was done with a cheap acrylic and 2 strands of wool. It's not gorgeous by any means (would have been better with a different color wool; that "halo" the wool gave isn't so pretty with the tan wool, IMO), but it felted quite nicely. Live & learn . . .

Another reason a swatch would be good is to find out how smoothly your wool boucle will felt. Even though it's boucle now, it might end up felting smoother than you want. If it's too smooth after felting, you might want to consider a different carry-along - maybe something with a little mohair in it or even a white Fun Fur. Now that would be a wooly lamb!

A couple more points to consider when using a carry-along non-wool:
1. You may want to use the carry-along on every other row, depending on its thickness.
2. Be sure you have a wool that felts really well. My all-time favorite is Paton's Classic Merino. Second fave is Galway wool. They both felt quickly and firmly.

Well, that's my thesis on felting with less than 100% wool. Sorry if it's TMI! Best of luck to you, and do keep us posted on your progress.

Marilyn
My Bags
Go to Top of Page

Sharyn
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2008 :  05:51:06 AM  Show Profile Send Sharyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It shoud felt with that low nylon content - but you should probably try a swatch first. Even some 100% wools have been known to not felt very well, especially if they have been bleached to white. You may also lose your boucle texture in the felting process. I used alpaca once that felted to a nubby texture - the best bet is to swatch and felt to see if you get the effect you want.

My experience is that nylon tends to shred when felted in with wool, giving it a furry texture - have fun experimenting!
Sharyn
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?