Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Machine Talk
 Mid-Gauge Machines
 Mid gauge knitting machine
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lifemagician
New Pal

Australia
2 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  04:06:20 AM  Show Profile Send Lifemagician a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Looking for help with obtaining a mid gauge knitting machine.

What I really need, is to know which machines are mid gauge?

I have a Singer standard gauge (4.5mm) which has a ribber, and a Brother bulky (9mm) with a ribber. Neither of these machines cope well with 8 ply/double knitting wool. (I understand that the term double knitting means different things in different countries.)

So I am looking for a machine which has a gauge of around 6mm. My budget means I am looking for a used machine, and my limited mobility means I do most of my shopping online.

Hence I need to know which makes and models are mid gauge.

Please, can anyone tell me the names and models of what I am looking for?

Lifey who will soon have her 7th grandchild for whom to knit

The largest room in the world is the room for improvement.

Bernie
Chatty Knitter

Canada
115 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2008 :  02:25:26 AM  Show Profile Send Bernie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi: As far as I know the only mid=gauge machine Brother makes is the KX350 and it is a 7mm machine. (plastic bed, no ribber available)

Singer/Studio has a couple of machines
LK140 6.5mm plastic bed, no ribber
LK150 6.5mm plastic bed no ribber
SK160 6.5 mm metal bed, upgradeable to electronic (but very expensive to do so)
SK860 6.5mm metal bed, electronic machine, if you find one of these make sure it has an EC1 as the EC1 is no longer made and that is the box that reads the mylar sheets. There is another option for the EC1 it is the PC10 which costs about $1000.00
Shop around for a used machine as there are some good deals out there, and already having machines you know what to look for.
Hope this helps.
Bernie
Go to Top of Page

artsy800@yahoo.com
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2008 :  09:21:05 AM  Show Profile Send artsy800@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ebay.com has a lot of knitting machines for sale.Some of them are used, some of them are new. The new ones are priced about what you would pay at Hobby Lobby or Michaels. Plus you would have to pay postage on any you ordered. I am only familiar with the ISM and USM. But I know EBAY has some others. Hope this helps. Granny

Rachel Rylee
Go to Top of Page

litomoma@yahoo.com
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  11:39:33 AM  Show Profile Send litomoma@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the bond elite is 7MM plastic bed with a ribber.i have one and love it.
Karen
Go to Top of Page

Kniturstuff
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  5:04:30 PM  Show Profile Send Kniturstuff a Private Message  Reply with Quote
go on ebay and buy from a gentlemen in Canada who restores machines for a living and sells them. I bought a mid-gauge Studio/Silver Reed (the best made and still making them) from him for $1000 (came with Ribber and EC1)FANTASTIC BUY! His name is Thomas Slater, he has auctions all the time.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe