Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Needles and Security
 But can I take my needles to JURY DUTY?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1802 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2008 :  09:04:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, folks, jury duty came and went, and I never left the house. They didn't call my number, after all that! However, it's MUCH nicer knitting at home!

Ceil

Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1136 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2008 :  09:44:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ceil

Well, folks, jury duty came and went, and I never left the house. They didn't call my number, after all that! However, it's MUCH nicer knitting at home!

Oh well!

I lucked out like that the time before. This time around I had to go, and just about died without my knitting. Luckily, by 4:00, all the cases had either settled or the juries were selected, so the rest of us got to go home.

PAM

WIP = Aran Stitch Afghan (crochet), Easy Playtime Set (knit), Patons Cabled Yoke Pullover (knit), House Socks (knit)

Done this year = Scrap Scarf (knit), Gloves (knit), Mittens (knit), Afghan (crochet), Pinwheel Afghan (crochet), Knit Your Bit Scarf for the WWII Museum (knit - charity), Scrap Sweater (knit)

If I could only do this for a living...
Go to Top of Page

DebbiOH
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
525 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2008 :  08:42:00 AM  Show Profile Send DebbiOH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ceil, I was able to knit in the holding tank but not in the court room. Our area is a very rural area and I think we are a bit more lax on what larger cities consider an issue. Knitting needles and yarn are a constant in the area I live. Often I see women carrying their work and knitting as they shop or for other public trips into town. I've stopped total strangers just to ask about their project if it looks interesting to me. I've learned lots about people and knitting that way.

~Debbi~NW Ohio
Go to Top of Page

creeko
New Pal

42 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2008 :  3:22:27 PM  Show Profile Send creeko a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I live in Colorado too so I found this interesting! I didn't try to bring my knitting because I was just too scared to which I ended up happy since I had to go back to my car and re-enter that loooong line for a spoon. I'm thinking a knitting needle has to be more dangerous than a spoon! I wonder though does it matter if they are naked needles or have a WIP on them? For security who doesn't have any idea about anything knitting, would s/he let you get away with the needles if s/he sees the pair of dangerous looking baby socks on them??

quote:
Originally posted by Janbie

Yes, I agree with everyone else and just think it depends on where you live.

I tried to take some knitting here in Colorado to jury duty last year. Unfortunately, I took these small pointy bamboo ones (probably #5 or #6) and they wouldn't let me take them in. But it was OK to take the plastic #10s. When I went to the waiting room, I realized I only had one of these needles and ended up not being able to do my WIP.

Luckily I was dismissed early!

The KnitWit Copywriter
http://www.knitwitcopywriter.com
http://janbie.blogspot.com
http://knitwitcopywriter.blogspot.com
------------------------
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and take a look around once in a while, you could miss it." Ferris Bueller

Go to Top of Page

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2754 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2008 :  5:13:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I took knitting needles with no problem when I had jury duty. Even WITH knitting, it was the most boring day of my life...

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/ UPDATED! WITH PICS!
Go to Top of Page

yarnbabe
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  3:05:09 PM  Show Profile Send yarnbabe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I took a knitting project with me to jury duty. While I knitted in the waiting room, several people told me they wished they had thought to bring their projects! When I was called to go into the court room, I put the knitting away out. Later, while I waited out in front of the courthouse for my husband to pick me up, I knitted!
Go to Top of Page

Marie
Chatty Knitter

347 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  8:54:16 PM  Show Profile Send Marie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've had it confiscated the past three times I served in Berkshire County, Massachusetts...but last time, the friendly guard who took my knitting asked, "What are we making here? A cardigan? I'll have it finished for you by the time you come out."

At least it made me laugh. When I got bored with my reading material, I ended up winding/unwinding/winding the same skein of yarn; another juror called me Penelope.
Go to Top of Page

sarah_b
New Pal

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  1:09:44 PM  Show Profile Send sarah_b a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had federal grand jury for six months (one day/week) in Boston about 5 years ago. No one was allowed into the courthouse with liquids, and even some foods (e.g., muffins) were confiscated; however no one ever said boo to me about my needles. We tended not to have long breaks, but I was happy to have something to do when we were allowed a bit of time.
Go to Top of Page

Catlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

395 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  3:40:52 PM  Show Profile Send Catlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been called two years in a row and each time knitting needles were specifically listed as prohibited. I took a book and spent a lot of time there last year because I was on a jury. We had a lot of "down time" and I wished mightily for my knitting.
Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1561 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  5:00:21 PM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went to the jury pool on Monday...they had specifically said, no knitting.....and there in the jury assembly room was a lady knitting. I asked her and she said as long as the needles weren't metal. Also, her's were circs, and bamboo.

Shirley, Dana Point, CA

...To much is not enough!
Go to Top of Page

Knitlin
Warming Up

95 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  07:27:16 AM  Show Profile Send Knitlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Isn't it funny that each county can have it's own rules regarding knitting needles. Even each guard can have their own rules, in some places.

I haven't been summoned for a long time and I wish they would call me. Now that my kids are teenagers, it wouldn't be that much of a problem.

knitlin
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3463 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2009 :  4:10:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been called for tomorrow so after reading these posts, I've decided to bring a project on wooden needles. DH is dropping me off so we agreed that he would wait and make sure that I either meke it in with the needles or that I can come out and leave them in the car.

Three years ago, they let me in with my project (if I remember correctly). I hope that's the case again because I'd love to get some uninterrupted knitting time :)
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2009 :  8:20:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knitted at my divorce hearing in 2004. The only time I have been in any court.

Wen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wen1965/sets/72157612251840708/show/ FO 2009
http://www.flickr.com/groups/kr_members/
http://wenswoolgathering.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

2totangle
Permanent Resident

1212 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  09:49:34 AM  Show Profile Send 2totangle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had plastic circs barred in Colorado. I was tempted to argue that they were less sharp than all the pens and pencils being allowed into the building and that, unlike all the shoelaces there, it was too short to garrote anyone with. But it was clear that logic wasn't going to make any difference, so I took them back to the car and read a book.

Suzanne

Flickr pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2totangle/
Ravelry project page: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/2totangle
Go to Top of Page

knittingrunner
Seriously Hooked

USA
809 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2010 :  2:58:48 PM  Show Profile Send knittingrunner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had no problem bringing socks on short metal addis into circuit court in Va Beach, VA yesterday.
I knit in the hallway and in the courtroom until the judge arrived then I put everything away.

Naps can always be improved by adding a cat.
Go to Top of Page

dms-r1951
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2010 :  09:31:04 AM  Show Profile Send dms-r1951 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not only does it depend on the location; it also depends on who is checking. I was called for jury duty last year and took my socks to knit with no problem. There was another lady there who was knitting, too, but a friend of mine who also was called didn't have hers because the guard who was there when she went through said no knitting. Sigh. . . I was extremely glad to have mine because there were numerous delays. I spent two long, long days waiting, then was excused from duty!

And I just flew to South Africa and back from New York and had no problems at all with knitting needles! (They weren't in my underwear! Can I say that?)

donnaknitter
Go to Top of Page

sandyt
Permanent Resident

USA
3101 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2010 :  06:16:07 AM  Show Profile Send sandyt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a jury summons for 2/3. Don't know if I'll actually have to report, but I'm going to call and ask about bringing my knitting. I've gone to jury duty before and it was sooooooooo boring, such a long day. I fell asleep in the holding area! yikes!
Go to Top of Page

mathiemom
Chatty Knitter

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  12:25:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit mathiemom's Homepage Send mathiemom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow - I'm amazed at all the jurisdictions that disallow knitting needles. I wouldn't ever try knitting in the courtroom (definitely a no-no), but while you're waiting to be called, what else is there to do?

I've brought my knitting to jury duty in Middlesex Co., MA, and knit in the juror waiting room until we were dismissed. I also brought the chuppah (wedding canopy) that I was knitting for my daughter's wedding to FEDERAL court (also in MA) where I was actually selected to serve on a jury for two weeks in a criminal case a couple of years ago. I brought my HUGE plastic bag with the chuppah on the (metal) needles in every day, it went through the x-ray, and no one ever said anything about it. It was great to have it while we were waiting around before the trial and during breaks.

The past week, my husband has been in court on a civil case and I've come each day to be the "supportive spouse". And I've brought my knitting (on #8 Addi Lace) each day, though I don't knit when the jury and/or judge are in the courtroom at the request of DH's attorney. This is also in Middlesex Co., MA. Because of implanted surgical hardware, the metal detector goes off and I get wanded, but my knitting needles have not concerned the security folks at all.

I would advise that others call ahead or just come early so that you can return your knitting to your car, if necessary. Also, security may be willing to hold onto your knitting until you are dismissed for the day so that you don't actually lose it.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

mathiemom
Chatty Knitter

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2010 :  1:58:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit mathiemom's Homepage Send mathiemom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yikes! I have to eat my words the day after writing them.

Today I went to court with DH for closing arguments and to wait for a verdict. The good news: the jury found in favor of my DH in a matter of minutes (civil case). The bad news: after a week of bringing my knitting in each day, today the security officer at the x-ray machine turned to me and said those words we all dread: "Do you have knitting in there?" Me: "Yes." Officer: "That isn't allowed." Me: "Really? I've been bringing it in every day for the past week. Nobody said anything." Officer: "I have to take it." I handed over the offending piece of knitting, on the needle. He gave me a card marked "weapons claim". I am not making this up.

The good part, other than the verdict, is that I got the knitting & needle back when I left. However, I was so undone by the stress of the trial that, without my knitting to calm my frayed nerves, I was at a loss for what to do when the jury went out. So I went to the law library in the courthouse, where there was a bank of computers for public use, and bought yarn over the internet! Knitting would have been cheaper.

All in all, the day could have could out much worse, in spite of the knitting needle seizure.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2671 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2010 :  6:27:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wendy, that's twice in a month! You are on a roll. Glad they found in DH's favor, and oh, gee, you had to buy yarn, what a shame.

Love the "weapons claim" ticket!

Luann

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000