Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Worst Project Nightmare
 knitting poltergeists
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

KnittinKat
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  7:56:02 PM  Show Profile Send KnittinKat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
easy pattern. easy? i scoff at the label! i have the most beautiful yarn, southwest trading post bamboo. i start, finish about a third, bring it into work to show my knitting friends.."it's gorgeous!, my family "to die for"! i've frogged it at least 4 times now. and to be honest the pattern isn't that difficult and it is truly beautiful. but there is some poltergeist or something that is making me continually screw this up!!

Are there knitting poltergeists? it shouldn't be this hard!!

I'll send a pic of how far i've gotten on the last version.

I WILL FINISH THIS... i think...

Kat

oh, it's gorgeous! Finish it Kat!

<sigh>

Kat

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to make it worthwhile. -Herm

knittymommy
Warming Up

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  04:02:16 AM  Show Profile Send knittymommy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
there most certainly is! This past christmas, I was happily knitting along on a snowflake pattern hat- RAN OUT OF YARN!!
decided to go ahead and get another project out of the way, not enough yarn for that either! So much for Merry Christmas!

T.L.
Go to Top of Page

thistledown847
Warming Up

Canada
56 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  08:15:38 AM  Show Profile Send thistledown847 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, there is a knitting poltergeist. Recently I was working on Wisp, a simple pattern that many other knitters reported as 'so easy I finished it in two days'. Uh-huh..... for me it was 10 rows knit, 8 rows frogged, day after day after day. I did finish it, it is lovely, but curses on the poltergeist!!!
Go to Top of Page

baxterknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  6:38:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit baxterknits's Homepage Send baxterknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup, some projects are just that way. And it does always seem to happen on something that is "supposed" to be easy.

Cindy G
http://baxterknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Noodles
New Pal

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  6:55:29 PM  Show Profile Send Noodles a Private Message  Reply with Quote
POLTERGEISTS this is the answer somehow I added a stitch at the end of the transition chart on my Laminaria and I did not notice till I got 13 more rows I kept just knitting the extra stitch for some reason. when i looked at it the next day I was like that looks lopsided and weird so i frogged like 2000 stitches! it was a ghost that added the stitch! I'm sure of it

-Johnathon
Go to Top of Page

KnittinKat
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  7:14:04 PM  Show Profile Send KnittinKat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone! The bamboo is a bit slippery but not enough to cause me these problems. Glad to know others have been visited by the knitting poltergeists!
Kat

Kat

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to make it worthwhile. -Herm
Go to Top of Page

Mocha
Permanent Resident

Singapore
2903 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  01:31:36 AM  Show Profile Send Mocha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ye, I have this beautiful sleeveless baby top that I frogged for about 7 x before I give up... Maybe in a long long time.. I kept making stupid mistakes and unknown mistakes, I never even got past 1/3.
Go to Top of Page

Chemcats
Permanent Resident

3337 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  04:00:55 AM  Show Profile Send Chemcats a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Every single project that I have taken on has a poltergeist attached to it! And the sweater that I am woking on now has an entire colony...sigh....

Meribeth
Go to Top of Page

scarfitup
Chatty Knitter

191 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  03:53:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit scarfitup's Homepage Send scarfitup a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I go through periods of time when there is some demon working against me. It;s either the yarn, or the pattern. the needles, the ideas, or I'm just in an artists' slump! It's not necessarily that the piece doesn't work at all; it's that it doesn't work for ME!!! And I am currently in such a phase! Nothing is working out for me! UGH!!! I hope it passes soon.

And BTW, since I'm in a knitting slump, I'm researching nuno felting and am seriously seeking workshops on this subject. Anybody know of any? If so, please contact me. Thanks so much!
Louise

Scarf It Up!
http://scarf-it-up.blogspot.com
http://scarfitup.etsy.com
http://flickr.com/photos/scarfitup
http://portcitypottery.com

Go to Top of Page

AngieSue
Permanent Resident

USA
1606 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  04:57:39 AM  Show Profile Send AngieSue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My biggest poltergeist...hats! Such an easy project but darn if I can knit one to fit anyone's head. I pick a ribbing pattern and the hat flares at the ends and slips upward on the head creating the "conehead" effect. I have tried 3 times to make a hat for DH, and I give up. Just not worth the agony.

Angie
My pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26414328@N00/
My blog: http://zippyzinnia.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

granny purple
New Pal

22 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  06:22:59 AM  Show Profile Send granny purple a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have just finished the first part of sewing up "Na Craga"--an easy Alice Starmore cabled sweater, and discovered a slightly wrong cable. This is an error I had corrected several times during the knitting process, but somehow missed that it had happened yet again. At this point, I KNOW that I can look up how to snip once and correct it in situ, but am debating whether to leave it in as "poltergeist effect". The recipient had trouble spotting it, even when I pointed it out.
Is there any philosophy anywhere that says a minor imperfection in a garment will protect the wearer?
Go to Top of Page

Sara Sue
Permanent Resident

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  06:58:58 AM  Show Profile Send Sara Sue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think this will cover you.

quote:
It is often said that Persian rugs are ‘perfectly imperfect’. Slight inconsistencies are the proof that a rug was not made by machine. Even if a rug is coming out perfectly, the weaver will usually make an intentional mistake, in line with the belief that only the Supreme Being can make something that is perfect.

Go to Top of Page

njzube@aol.com
New Pal

25 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  07:50:32 AM  Show Profile Send njzube@aol.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Easy or difficult, it makes no difference. Once I've started the third sweater from the same pattern, the gremlins (or complacency) sets in, and I knit two stitches and unknit three, or so it seems. I also have a complex with orange sweaters....I've only finished one. I enjoy your thoughts and opinions and great sense of humor from each of you! Jeanne
Go to Top of Page

Sailingknitter
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  08:04:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sailingknitter's Homepage Send Sailingknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay - I'm going to admit it. I can knit anything but those dang Pomotomus socks! I've started and ripped 3 times now! What is the problem? Everyone else whips these puppies out like there's no tomorrow and I struggle. There's got to be a poltergeist, it's the only sensible explanation.

Terry - curently berthed in Mazatlan, Mexico
www.sailingknitter.blogspot.com
www.liannoriginals.com

Blog: www.sailingknitter.blogspot.com
Photos: www.flickr.com/photos/sailingknitter
Go to Top of Page

granny purple
New Pal

22 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  08:11:21 AM  Show Profile Send granny purple a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, you're not alone in the pomotamus socks debacle! Maybe a group needs to go somewhere nice to concentrate on that alone, with lots of mutual support, and no C2H5OH until a couple of hours a day have been put in on the "P" socks!
Go to Top of Page

tink_r_bell
Chatty Knitter

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  08:36:01 AM  Show Profile Send tink_r_bell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course there are yarnomes, knittergeists, and pattern-pixies !

The yarnomes inhabit yarn. No matter how many patterns tried, a particular yarn refuses to be knit. What is a beautiful alpaca yarn was headed for felting. Instead that sentence was commuted, and it was sentenced to time out isolation in a dark closet. 2 months later it was submissive and resigned to becoming a fishbone lace scarf.

The knittergeists inhabit needles and other tools of our craft, causing those pesky left out rows, added stitches, dropped yarn overs, crossed cables, anything the naughty ones can think of, and we haven't.

Pattern-pixies inhabit patterns, and no matter how carefully we read, plan, and are ready to plunge into a new project, somewhere between the last knitter of that pattern, who may live anywhere there are knitters, and our beginning that pattern, a row, a number, a short row turn is rearranged. After 5 or 6 tries, and swearing that the stitch count was off because of the pattern-pixies, I had my mathematician son count the stitches for each row on the pattern and then on the needles. Of course they were exactly the same. I could hear the distant giggles in the air.

So yes my friends, there are yarnomes, knittergeists, and pattern-pixies, who take great delight in our angst and our joy, but truly do no real harm. Pandora's box is open and well, and reminds us, as Sara Sue did with Persian rugs, and as the Shakers and the Amish do with their crafts, that we are only human after all.

IMHO, I think we just need to enjoy these otherworld magic folk, and listen for their giggles and chortles. I can hear them now, faintly in the distance.... [:00][:00]

Steph ;-}

To err is human, just try not to over do it.
Go to Top of Page

Sara Sue
Permanent Resident

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  08:38:35 AM  Show Profile Send Sara Sue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah complacency. As I studied and practiced cabels (edited for spelling - CABLES - spelling gremlin here!) last night (fairly new knitter and found a pair of socks I've just got to have - so learning lots of new stuff), I understood the technique immediately and the thought crossed my mind - Wow! I must be a natural - I can do this ---- and the next thought was - Uh Oh! You just invited the disaster gremlin to sit on your shoulder while you do these.
Go to Top of Page

AuntyNin
Seriously Hooked

USA
772 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  09:11:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit AuntyNin's Homepage Send AuntyNin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heck, yes! This was conclusively proven to me not long ago when I managed to mess up a garter-stitch washcloth.

I blame my "house ghost" a.k.a. Great Uncle Rupert...

AuntyNin

Everything happens for a reason, except possibly football. --- Terry Pratchett

http://home.earthlink.net/~lradiga1/
Go to Top of Page

joycet
Warming Up

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  09:49:56 AM  Show Profile Send joycet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am loving reading about everyone's poltergeists, yarnomes and pattern pixies! [:00] I've definitely seen them in action considering the many, many times I've read a pattern labeled easy, started working on it, only to find that I've screwed something up, had to rip back multiple times, still didn't do it right, etc, etc... and these were EASY patterns?!? Eek! I shudder when I imagine what the little tricksters will do if I try an advanced pattern....
Go to Top of Page

lnadeau@comcast.net
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  1:08:07 PM  Show Profile Send lnadeau@comcast.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My best gremlin story: About 5 years ago, I was making my teenage daughter the Yankee Knitter rollneck sweater, a VERY simple pattern. I finished all the pieces, sewed in the sleeves, and was merrily stitching the side seams, already anticipating my next project. As I approached the bottom edge of the sweater, I was confronted by an incredible sight. I blinked my eyes rapidly to try to make it go away, but no dice. The back of the sweater had a rolled stockinette edge (as indeed it should have). But the front had a RIBBED edge (k2p1, actually). I couldn't believe my eyes. I still don't understand how I did such a thing and, worse, didn't notice it until so late in the process.

Unfortunately, I could not convince Claire that she had some kind of new asymmetrical design-feature sweater bottom. You know the rest of the story: UNseam, frog, reknit the entire front of the sweater. I sincerely hope that I never do THAT again.

Lynne
Go to Top of Page

susan14_23
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
551 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  1:48:21 PM  Show Profile Send susan14_23 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Baby booties! I've knit quite a few pairs of socks but I tried to knit some baby booties and had to try five patterns before I found one that I could make work! I finally found a pattern that produced a normal-looking pair of booties but I'm still not happy because these were knit flat and I want to be able to knit them circularly.

So how do you appease the yarnomes, knittergeists and pattern pixies? Leave some cashmere and a glass of milk on the kitchen table? Say loudly, "Gee, as soon as I finish this (insert whatever you are trying to knit) I'd love to knit some tiny, tiny felted clogs. If only I could finish quickly!"?

Susan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.55 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.