Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 Cable needle or Wendy's cable method?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

sewwhat
Chatty Knitter

USA
221 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2008 :  12:20:44 PM  Show Profile Send sewwhat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have not done cables for along time so I couldn't find my cable needle. Consequently I am using Wendy Johnson's method of making a cable without a cable needle. I am finding it pretty fiddly and slow. Should I just buy another cable needle or persevere with Wendy's method in hopes I can get faster with it? Has anyone out there tried her method or know of another one that might be speedier?

Mirl56
Chatty Knitter

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2008 :  12:53:10 PM  Show Profile Send Mirl56 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is Wendy's the same one as here? - http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/advanced-techniques - scroll down to Decorative Stitches.

I can only do it if the total # of stitches in the calbe is 4 - ie, I'm sortof dropping 2 stitches while scooping up the next 2, then grabbing the first 2. More then that, I don't even want to try.
Go to Top of Page

Dicksie
Permanent Resident

USA
1995 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2008 :  1:50:43 PM  Show Profile Send Dicksie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Works fine for simple cables 2x2, 3x3, 4x4, but if you're knitting a braid go buy another cable needle.
Dicksie

http://tourdirector.smugmug.com/gallery/529635
Go to Top of Page

HomekeepingGran
Seriously Hooked

614 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2008 :  2:39:53 PM  Show Profile Send HomekeepingGran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am so glad to see this from you more experienced knitters. I don't mind doing cables with a cable needle. I do mind losing the stitches every time I try it without and I have to dig them back out of the knitting before I can proceed. I think I'm a tad miffed by all the talk: "You must learn to cable without a cable needle, dahling, it's soooooo much easier!" I'll be happier doing it the supposedly "slow" way, thank you. (Carla — forever a backward rebel.)

Blessings,
Carla

She seeketh wool and flax and worketh willingly with her hands... Proverbs 31:13
Go to Top of Page

mrssuem
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
457 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2008 :  5:44:01 PM  Show Profile Send mrssuem a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Until you get a new cable needle did you try using a dp needle as a cable needle? I have used one in a pinch. SUe
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2008 :  5:51:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A toothpick, chopstick, or Q-tip can also work in a pinch. Oh, and a bobbypin.

I tried that needle-less method and found it too difficult. THEN I started working on a cotton/acrylic sweater on big needles (10? 10 1/2? I don't know). That is the only time I've gotten her method to work.

Hand and foot when harmonized forms martialism/but Military and literary when harmonized is art and this brings/philosophy. (Lee, Chang Hoo)
Go to Top of Page

abbierose
Seriously Hooked

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  04:55:33 AM  Show Profile Send abbierose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find Grumperina's method the easies way to cable without a cable need. http://www.grumperina.com/cables.htm

I never liked it until I used her way, and now I do it all the time for small twists.

Melissa
My blog:Tia Knits
Go to Top of Page

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  07:44:42 AM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm trying this technique for the first time. I'm going to keep at it, but my yarn gets a little splitty. I've tried Grumperina's way, next time I'll try the way in the video. I'm not sure I like it. One direction goes pretty fast though. Maybe with practice it will be faster.
Go to Top of Page

ceecee
Permanent Resident

1896 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  08:01:49 AM  Show Profile Send ceecee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The cable needle-less methods are easier with heavier yarns and larger needles. I've found it quite challenging for socks since the stitches are tighter and under more tension and thus more prone to quickly unravelling once off the needle. I like the bobby pin idea! Smooth and easy to clip onto the knitting (or your hair) when not in use.
Go to Top of Page

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  08:56:13 AM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still use a cable needle for some wider cables, particularly right twists, but I have now fully converted otherwise to Grumperina's method which saves several steps from Wendy's method while still requiring the same basic maneuver. I'm glad I found Grumperina's method because I found Wendy's more fiddly than using a cable needle, and in general found cabling too fiddly to do very often. Now that I've adapted to Grumperina's method, I don't mind cabling at all anymore.

--------
You are about to be told one more time that you are America’s most valuable natural resource. Have you seen what they do to valuable natural resources? -Utah Phillips, addressing a group of young people

My brand new blog of randomness: http://cerebral.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  08:57:38 AM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and I have always used a short dpn instead of a cable needle.

--------
You are about to be told one more time that you are America’s most valuable natural resource. Have you seen what they do to valuable natural resources? -Utah Phillips, addressing a group of young people

My brand new blog of randomness: http://cerebral.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

NCmusiclady
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
541 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  08:58:56 AM  Show Profile Send NCmusiclady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So happy to read that I'm not the only one. . .

I'm making my very first cable garment - a center cable sweater and it's being made with size 11 needles. I didn't like the knitting from the cable needle, but found that a size 11 dpn did the trick for me.

I read Wendy's blog every chance I get and I like her work, but when I tried her method, my mohair blend yarn didn't take to her method as well as the dpn.

I think we just need to try and see what works for us. Different strokes for different folks!
Go to Top of Page

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  10:17:57 AM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've happily used Wendy's method, but I'll have to try Grumperina's next.
If the yarn is slippery, I use my yarn needle(Chibi-type). I always have one of those in my bag, and DPNs are too long for me to use for cabling.
Go to Top of Page

Nartian
Chatty Knitter

128 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  2:30:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nartian's Homepage Send Nartian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love Wendy's method. For some reason, Grumperina's method doesn't work as well for me. Both methods are equally valid though. I figure it's simply the way I knit.

blog: http://stilaholicnartianknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  7:45:06 PM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tried the one in the video link above and that worked the best for me. I'm using that method from now on.
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  8:46:20 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm wondering of Grumperina's method is easiest for continental knitters. I love it. I'm doing a saxon braid, with 4 to 8 twists per RS row. I would go nuts trying to do ti with a cable needle.

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

Mickey
Permanent Resident

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  12:15:25 AM  Show Profile Send Mickey a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Dpn's for me, no question about it. I've never used a cable needle. In a pinch, I've done something like Grumperina's method (I knit continental) and it worked, but wasn't fun at all.
Go to Top of Page

denvani
New Pal

42 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  04:03:41 AM  Show Profile Send denvani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can someone please refer me to Wendy's blog address?
Go to Top of Page

scraffan
Permanent Resident

1844 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  04:15:54 AM  Show Profile Send scraffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use either my cable needle or a double pointed needle the same size as my needles in the project.
I saw the cableing without a cable needle on Knitty Gritty and said no way. I am afraid of dropping stitches/lossing stitches

Karen (currantly working on the Mai Tai purse/clutch?) and that has two cables side by side.
Go to Top of Page

irishmomof9
Chatty Knitter

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  05:18:43 AM  Show Profile Send irishmomof9 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In over 50 years of knitting, I've never owned a cable needle. My great love is the Celtic design, and I simply use double point needles to cable. Why complicate life?

...and may God hold you in the palm of His hand
Go to Top of Page

Mickey
Permanent Resident

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  06:15:31 AM  Show Profile Send Mickey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by denvani

Can someone please refer me to Wendy's blog address?

http://wendyknits.net/index.html
but I guess you want the tutorials
and cabling without a needle can be learned here
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.94 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth