Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Felting Talk
 Felting Books and Patterns
 3 FINGER FELTED MITTS - NEED PATTERN
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Seabright
New Pal

Canada
11 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  08:50:43 AM  Show Profile Send Seabright a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HI,
WHen we move our boat in the spring you have to stand at the helm in what is very cold damp weather. I thought that a pair of felted 3 fingered mittens (like hunting mittens) would be great. I found a pattern for regular hunting mittens, but not one for felting. Felted mitts are warmer... especially in the wind.

Any help out there?

Thanks
Pat from Seabright

YarnGoddess
Permanent Resident

USA
2460 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  09:51:11 AM  Show Profile Send YarnGoddess a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe you can find something here: http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/mittens_gloves.php

Elizabeth
Zipper & Diva

A sense of humor can help you tolerate the unpleasant, cope with the unexpected, overlook the unattractive and smile through the unbearable.

To learn more about healthy nutrition for your cat, go here: http://www.catnutrition.org and here: http://www.catinfo.org/
Go to Top of Page

Mickey
Permanent Resident

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  9:30:52 PM  Show Profile Send Mickey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seabright
I found a pattern for regular hunting mittens, but not one for felting.

Can't you just knit these bigger ( ok, much bigger ) and then felt to size?
Go to Top of Page

Seabright
New Pal

Canada
11 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  06:24:47 AM  Show Profile Send Seabright a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was hoping not to have to experiment too much with the 3 finger regular pattern if there was one for felting already out there. Just call me lazy.... ;-) I suppose I could just modify a felted glove pattern by ignoring the 3 side fingers... I will keep checking to see if there is a pattern out there. WHo knows... maybe I will come up with one myself.

Pat from Seabright.
Go to Top of Page

Sharyn
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  06:37:55 AM  Show Profile Send Sharyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mittens are nice when just lightly felted (with some stitch definition still showing). I would try the pattern you found, and just go up one or two needle sizes to make a loose knit. Maybe add a few rows of length, too, since felting will shrink the length more than width. Then felt lightly - they shouldn't shrink down as much as if you tightly felted them. Try using a yarn that felts slowly so you have more control. I like Harrisville Highland Wool for a nice, slow, controlled felt.
Sharyn
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?