Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Bamboo yarn
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dreamweaver
New Pal

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2008 :  3:24:46 PM  Show Profile Send Dreamweaver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was just reading about bamboo yarn being antibacterial and antiviral even after 50 washings. My daughter is pregnant and I was thinking this would be a great yarn for one of those hooded sacks that zip up the front, for the newborn, since he'll be wearing it outside around a lot of strangers, who may have colds ect. But I have a ton of questions. Is it soft? What weight class is it in? Is it hard to knit with-I'm just a beginner? If anyone knows could you please spare a few minutes so I know whether to order some and how much I'll need. Thank you Connie

knit4sanity
Chatty Knitter

USA
156 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2008 :  6:32:25 PM  Show Profile Send knit4sanity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never knit with bamboo, but I have some waiting to be used. I've also read a little on it & supposedly it gets softer each time its washed.

But really, I think it would depend on the manufacturer. The quality will probably range like any average cotton yarn. Rowan, Classic Elite & a whole other slew of companies use bamboo, whether 100% or in blends. And you can probably get it in various weights (I would think any weight you want)

I hopes this helps some & know there's someone out there right now who can answer your questions in great detail. Good Luck!

Stop thinkin' about it & Just do it!!
Go to Top of Page

fiberlicious
Permanent Resident

1637 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2008 :  7:47:17 PM  Show Profile Send fiberlicious a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not antibacterial per se - it doesn't KILL bacteria - it's just resistant, which means it's not a great growing medium.
Go to Top of Page

MindyO
Permanent Resident

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2008 :  10:16:12 PM  Show Profile Send MindyO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes not like wools or cottons that can grow mildew and other bacteria much easier. I haven't worked with it yet, but a lot I've felt in stores are bamboo or blends and very soft. I have talked to an LYS owner who says its a lot like linen in the respect that it does soften with washings/wear but doesn't start out as stiff and scratchy. I've had many skeins in my hand just haven't had a good project in mind so didn't buy it
Go to Top of Page

Dreamweaver
New Pal

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  3:26:01 PM  Show Profile Send Dreamweaver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I've learned alot, and before I buy I will check out the blend and the quality. Maybe I will buy enough for a hat or a bib, and then if it's good & soft, I'll buy enough for the sack. Thanks everyone, Connie
Go to Top of Page

MindyO
Permanent Resident

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  9:07:38 PM  Show Profile Send MindyO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let me know if you find any must have, I've been looking for some to do I don't knwo what with, and just haven't found the I have to buy this with or without project in mind.
Go to Top of Page

Mocha
Permanent Resident

Singapore
2903 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  08:25:45 AM  Show Profile Send Mocha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh yes, it is soft. 100% Bamboo may be difficult to manipulate (i.e: RYC Bamboosoft) so you may want to consider blend such as Sirdar's baby bamboo. They are cool and soft. Ideal for baby in our tropical country.
Go to Top of Page

mkfromKansas
Chatty Knitter

339 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  09:28:24 AM  Show Profile Send mkfromKansas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh I think I'll throw a skunk in the pot.....isn't bamboo what those adorable koala bears eat and aren't they endangered because the bamboo forests are disappearing. Are we knitting koala food?
Go to Top of Page

MindyO
Permanent Resident

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  11:03:54 AM  Show Profile Send MindyO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes. But its more Panda food from what I know. I think Koala is eucalyptus.
Go to Top of Page

Chemcats
Permanent Resident

3337 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  05:57:05 AM  Show Profile Send Chemcats a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...and Panda will only eat a certain kind of bamboo. Bamboo is a grass and can be insanely invasive, which is fine by me. I just wish I had the space to process the bamboo for yarn! There is a monster patch of bamboo growing down the road, and it is hacked down to nothing a few times a year just to try to control it. The stuff isn't as bad as kudzu but it is close! heehee

Meribeth
Go to Top of Page

steff13
Chatty Knitter

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  1:01:04 PM  Show Profile Send steff13 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mkfromKansas

Oh I think I'll throw a skunk in the pot.....isn't bamboo what those adorable koala bears eat and aren't they endangered because the bamboo forests are disappearing. Are we knitting koala food?

The "green" movement is really pushing bamboo because it is the fastest growing woody plant on the planet, and it is a viable replacement for wood in flooring, cabinets, etc. It is a highly renewable resource. I would think it would be a different variety of bamboo that is used for those purposes than what the pandas eat. At least, I would hope so. What self-respecting environmentalist would support the use of bamboo as an alternative for wood at the expense of an endangered creature?
Go to Top of Page

susan14_23
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
551 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  2:55:18 PM  Show Profile Send susan14_23 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recently made a baby hat with Sirdar's Baby Bamboo. It was very soft and cuddly. I definitely plan on using it again.

Susan
Go to Top of Page

knittingrunner
Seriously Hooked

USA
817 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  07:48:17 AM  Show Profile Send knittingrunner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there 'superwash' bamboo?
I have some soft sock yarn in pretty colors but I think it is handwash only, somewhere in the forums someone mentioned shrinking a sweater that came out oversized but fit after washing and drying.
Thanks!
Ev

Runner who knits: knitter who runs
Go to Top of Page

Strin9Theory
Chatty Knitter

130 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2008 :  03:53:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Strin9Theory's Homepage Send Strin9Theory a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recently made a shrug with Plymouth Royal Bamboo. It is VERY soft!!! Absolutely delightful to have in your hands while knitting. However, it shows stitch imperfections somewhat easily, and it tends to loosen or stretch. I would still use it again, because it really is so wonderfully soft, but I would go down several needle sizes to tighten it up. It would be very nice next to a baby's skin!

Eve
Strin9Theory
http://strin9theory.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2008 :  04:04:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mkfromKansas

Pandas, and I'm pretty sure bamboo forest in China are disappearing for reasons other than yarn. Like, uh, manufacturing. And handling our electronic waste, to start.

Hand and foot when harmonized forms martialism/but Military and literary when harmonized is art and this brings/philosophy. (Lee, Chang Hoo)
Go to Top of Page

Strin9Theory
Chatty Knitter

130 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2008 :  09:41:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Strin9Theory's Homepage Send Strin9Theory a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My understanding is that bamboo is a VERY fast growing plant. It can be invasive, so I'm not sure running out of it would be a problem. I think the panda problem is due to encroachment on their habitat by humans, not lack of bamboo per say. Oh, and koalas eat eucalyptus.

Eve
Strin9Theory
http://strin9theory.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2008 :  10:20:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have some Zenstring sock yarn that is a blend of 60%merino/40%bamboo. I can tell you it is quite soft in the skein but I haven't knit or washed it yet.

GFTC of NYC

www.flickr.com/photos/gftc_knits/
click here for free sock pattern
Go to Top of Page

pandorasslave
Chatty Knitter

102 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2008 :  12:59:38 PM  Show Profile Send pandorasslave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SWTC Twize is the best of the bamboo yarns that i've worked with, 100% bamboo, a little slippery, but still great on wooden needles.

Also, Plymouth Yarn puts out a set called "Royal Bamboo" that is just as soft, and comes in solid colors (all of the twize that i've seen is heathered...)

All in all, it's not that hard to work with, but you do need to be aware that the bamboo fiber is not really antibacterial. It just doesn't grow mold. No bubble to protect the kid.

I love the stuff though!

"Right, we'll call it a draw..."
Go to Top of Page

lld
Chatty Knitter

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  1:25:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit lld's Homepage  Send lld a Yahoo! Message Send lld a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know I'm kinda late on this one but.....for anyone who might still be interested.....

I agree, bamboo is delightfully soft and very cool to wear; For one of my semi-recent projects I used Plymouth Royal for a summer top from Fitted Knits. The one thing I found with this particular version of bamboo yarn, it split really easily if I wasn't careful so it required more looking at the needles than usual. Unfortunately not finished before fall arrived so it hasn't seen much use yet :-).

The yarn comes in a variety of weights - another I didn't see mentioned here - Silk City makes Bambu7 and Bambu 12 that you could consider maybe fingering and lace/cobweb weights - ideal for weaving (which it's also good for).

As for the plant, there are literally 100's of varieties of bamboo, nearly all are fast growing and invasive (VERY - it can even work it's way under a 6ft deep barrier). For some varieties (I believe like that used for making the yarn) a bamboo shoot can literally grow 3 feet overnight. Some are edible....and not just for pandas but also a veggie for people.

The insulation value is very high, it has anti-bacterial properties and can help eliminate odor naturally. This would be in the fiber itself, not the wearer. The absorbency rate is, I think, about twice that of cotton but also has even better ventilation properties so it's kind of like built in air-conditioning and it cleans more easily in many cases. Completely biodegradable. I'm sure there's more but that's just what comes to mind right off ;-). All in all, I've thought several times it would be an ideal fiber for any number of summer things in addition to it's variety of uses in blends.

Just my two cents worth :-)

Lara
Go to Top of Page

socker
Chatty Knitter

258 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  07:47:10 AM  Show Profile Send socker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know the party is over, but, I'm knitting bamboo/nylon socks right now, using SRK On Your Toes Bamboo. Dream to knit with, soft, doesn't split easily. They are still on the needles, so I haven't washed them yet, but, hopefully the band's instructions will be correct "machine washable and dryable
Go to Top of Page

lld
Chatty Knitter

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  08:48:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit lld's Homepage  Send lld a Yahoo! Message Send lld a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds really nice......I'm not familiar with that one, I'll be curious to hear how it goes. After all, you can't have too many socks/sock yarns, right? :-)

Lara
http://larascreations.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by