Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 socking Around here
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

patbrown
New Pal

Australia
9 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2007 :  03:54:30 AM  Show Profile  Send patbrown a Yahoo! Message Send patbrown a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,

where to start? I'm not sure when I started knitting (somewhere in this year 2007)

Although,
I taught myself by buying Patons learn to knit book. Within aweek I was well on my way.... I was pregnant at the time and being fairly handicapped with no fine motor skills in my left hand I am proud!

My Baby is almost 5 months and I have knitted over 20 hats for her loads of bootees 3 tracky pants and a jumper.

Now I'm knitting my first ever sock and first time using dpns I am using 8 ply wool I'm not far off the turning part of the heel and it looks good I'm surprised....

Can I ask how long as a rule a normal pair of socks takes to knit?

I'm unsure when I started within the fortnight anyway and with kids, husband and baby.

Sorry to have rambled on.

Kind Regards,

Pat

Pat Brown

AngieSue
Permanent Resident

USA
1606 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2007 :  04:00:32 AM  Show Profile Send AngieSue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think my first pair took about 3 weeks but normally I can do a pair in about 2 weeks. You will find that some knitters take longer and some are super-duper quick. And sometimes it depends on the size of the yarn and the difficulty of the pattern. Take your time and enjoy the process (the turning part really isn't that bad). If you enjoy knittig socks, I bet you will find you knit quicker as you start on that second pair. Yes, it's quite addicting:-)

Angie
My pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26414328@N00/
My blog: http://zippyzinnia.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

patbrown
New Pal

Australia
9 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2007 :  04:06:50 AM  Show Profile  Send patbrown a Yahoo! Message Send patbrown a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh yes I'm addicted already and everyone who's seen it has said "I want one" I laugh and say hang on not ready for orders

Thank you for your quick reply

Kind Regards,

Pat

Pat Brown
Go to Top of Page

twins2005
Warming Up

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2007 :  10:17:30 AM  Show Profile Send twins2005 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that if you can sit and just knit, not able to with the twins and nursing school here, you can get them done in a few days.
Congrats on the self teaching!
Eileen
Go to Top of Page

patbrown
New Pal

Australia
9 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2007 :  10:46:30 PM  Show Profile  Send patbrown a Yahoo! Message Send patbrown a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I made a draw-string bag to keep my project in and my sons kitten out very good! The great part was I had everything but the cord at that made the bag 55 cents and took 10 minutes to make....

sock is up to the turnings, heel flap done but naughty me has got me thinking cos I read into the future of the pattern "picking up stitches from my slip stitches" I hope i don't oops ..... I am enjoying my sock so far,,,,

Kind Regards,

Pat

Pat Brown
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1786 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2007 :  11:47:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How long do they take? I started at three weeks, but since I switched to a LH carry and combined knitting, I can get them done in a week (as long as my main-squeeze work is a little lighter load, which it isn't right now :<( ).

Ceil
Go to Top of Page

patbrown
New Pal

Australia
9 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  12:31:26 AM  Show Profile  Send patbrown a Yahoo! Message Send patbrown a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm still learning all the shortened words you use in this forum so I'm embarrased to say not sure what you mean
Sorry

Pat

Pat Brown
Go to Top of Page

patbrown
New Pal

Australia
9 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2007 :  6:58:40 PM  Show Profile  Send patbrown a Yahoo! Message Send patbrown a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please can anyone tell me..... my sock (first) is heel done decreased down to required stitches for the foot... ok... although it sort of looks like the foot is not going to pop out looking like it should, should i unravel and start again or see how it turns out it is knitted in 8ply ordinary wool as I thought cheaper for any blunders first up..... do they look weird until your foot gets some length?

Kind Regards Pat

Pat Brown
Go to Top of Page

pdh1969
Chatty Knitter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2007 :  07:36:37 AM  Show Profile Send pdh1969 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pat,

If you think you have followed the directions I suggest you keep going. Have you picked up the gusset stitches? Once you do that and the decreases it usually looks more socklike.

Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

daizie_ray
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2007 :  08:06:20 AM  Show Profile Send daizie_ray a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have taken as long as 2 months to finish a pair of socks for my dh. He has a size 13 foot and they were on size 1 needles. I have also finished a pair on socks in 5 days. They were for the baby. It depends on how much time I get with the project and how big it is. I just try to enjoy them all.
Jenn in Il
Go to Top of Page

Jashasedai@wotmania.com
New Pal

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2007 :  11:13:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Jashasedai@wotmania.com a Yahoo! Message Send Jashasedai@wotmania.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am on my third pair of socks. I am on an older sock pattern, so I know how to do it. It has been about 12 hours (of knitting, over about a week) and I just finished the heel of the first sock.

WIP: (NEW) Tabby cat scarf furry yarn, pink mohair cardigan, rust and blue tweed alpaca socks
Go to Top of Page

jan.hamby@gmail.com
New Pal

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  05:17:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit jan.hamby@gmail.com's Homepage Send jan.hamby@gmail.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pat,

LH = left hand
DH = darling husband (or dear husband or damned husband!)
DD = darling daughter (etc.)

Your sock could look very weird as you come out of the decreases, but it if doesn't look normal after another inch or so, then you may have a problem and ripping out may be in order.

My first pair took weeks -- I'm down to less than a week if I have knitting time. I did a pair of baby socks in an evening with no problem. Figuring out the mechanics can be tough -- I did it from a book as well, so know how hard it can be to do without a mentor. If you have an LYS (local yarn shop) nearby, you might want to drop in and ask one of the folks working there for advice. I have only been in one shop where they weren't eager to help.

Ciao! Jan
Go to Top of Page

Mary Howard
New Pal

25 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  06:11:04 AM  Show Profile Send Mary Howard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats on teaching yourself from a book. I did the same and used 8 ply for my first pair. So - knitting in the evenings, that pair took me maybe 3 weeks to finish. And I still wear them! 3 dozen later, I'm guessing that it takes me 15 hrs to complete a pair. Knit on!
Go to Top of Page

printmaker
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  06:38:01 AM  Show Profile Send printmaker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
humm, Socks. If I'm going into NYC every day for a week (the train ride takes on hour), I can get a pair of socks made in a week. Using 0 needles and fine sock yarn. If I'm using #3 needles and a heavier worsted It takes less time. Always carry a sock project with me, You know know when You'll have eto wait in doctors office, or some other place. It is better to knit than to read their 3 year old dogeared magazines. Barbara
Go to Top of Page

Not That Kat
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  06:47:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Not That Kat's Homepage Send Not That Kat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So many factors affect this it's hard to give a straight answer. But the best I can say is: with fingering weight yarn at a gauge of 8 st/inch, I can turn out a pair of plain or simple patterned socks in about 2 weeks, working on them as my dead simple carry along project - not monogamous or especially focused. I have finished a pair of socks in about a week if I'm really trying. I've done heavier gauge socks in a few days (Sock Wars!). The current pair has been OTN for over a month, but I've been working on other (Xmas) knitting projects. I'm not concerned. They'll be done when they're done.
Go to Top of Page

Lyntintin
New Pal

40 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  06:56:34 AM  Show Profile Send Lyntintin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A pair of adult socks using sock yarn takes me abt 2 weeks to do, a toddler sock using worsted weight yarn takes me abt 2 days.

Lynn/Orlando
Go to Top of Page

peggymchoe
Warming Up

63 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  07:47:26 AM  Show Profile Send peggymchoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I could manage a pair of adult socks in fingering wt yarn in 2 or 3 weeks, but I never have. I have too many WIPs going at one time, and I don't knit well under deadline or with any time pressure at all (hey, deadlines are for work, this is a hobby!). Also it's sometimes hard to know when to start the clock on a project. Last summer I started a sock with a particular yarn, but the pattern turned out to be ill-suited to the yarn so I frogged. Ditto with the next pattern I tried with that yarn. Finally got lucky with the 3rd pattern. Then there's sometimes a gap between the end of knitting and the kitchenering of the toes (if the pattern is top-down), while I wait for combination of good light and the zen state I require to close the toes without disaster.
Go to Top of Page

Celtic Memory Yarns
Warming Up

Ireland
62 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  07:51:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Celtic Memory Yarns's Homepage Send Celtic Memory Yarns a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As someone who survived (just!) the legendary Sock Madness event, I can categorically and precisely say, with hand on heart (the one that isn't holding the knitting needles) that a pair of socks take exactly -

... the time they take.

That can be two years, three weeks or (as fellow Sock Madness survivors will tell you) ONE DAY! Believe me it can be done. I didn't - personal best is two days - but there are some terrors out there who can somehow blast off a complex never-before-seen pattern in less than 24 hours.

Mostly they take me two weeks. Well done on your achievements so far - you are to be congratulated.

Jo
Go to Top of Page

RoxieKatz
New Pal

11 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  08:36:20 AM  Show Profile Send RoxieKatz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually take about 2 weeks, depending on the pattern and the gauge. I strongly recommend, however, buying two sets of needles and making both socks at the same time, doing each part in tandem. Do the cuffs, do the leg, do the heel flap, et c. That way, your sizing stays good, your tension remains consistent, and you have a pair when you're done. No more single sock syndrome!
Go to Top of Page

luvstoknit
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  10:53:15 AM  Show Profile Send luvstoknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I absolutely LOVE to knit socks! What I like to do is buy a beautiful self patterning yarn and knit basic socks from that and the result is simply beautiful. I do this when I don't have time or energy to concentrate on a difficult pattern stitch. I can knit basic socks in 2 to 3 days. I work full time as a librarian, so I am not sitting home all day knitting to finish them. I try to squeeze at least 2 hours of knitting time in per night, sometimes more, sometimes less. I will say however that my very first pair of socks took me almost 1 year to finish because they sat in my UFO (unfinished objects) pile way too long. After I finished that first pair I had the hang of it and I really got the sock fever! They make great presents and treats for your own tootsies. I admire the fact that you taught yourself, way to go!
Jane
Go to Top of Page

tzipora2@sbcglobal.net
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  10:53:22 AM  Show Profile Send tzipora2@sbcglobal.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Knitting socks is great fun and I agree, the second always seems to go faster. It sounds like you're knitting socks for an adult, not for your baby. If so, may I suggest the book Not Just Socks? Check out the patterns for bullseye heel and thicker bullseye heel socks. I like the bullseye heel much better than turning the heel. It's simpler, quicker and, should you wear a hole in the heel, you can repair it easily. I'v made lots of pairs of socks and used the bullseye heel in other patterns.

As for the time it takes, I'd say a couple of weeks, but I am a bit obsessive! LOL!

Tzipora
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.88 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.