Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Machine Talk
 Mid-Gauge Machines
 Brother KX350?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Chicki
New Pal

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  6:21:46 PM  Show Profile Send Chicki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, I was wondering what the feedback is on the brother KX350? I may have the chance to buy a used one and was wondering what price would be fair?

Thanks

Bernie
Chatty Knitter

Canada
115 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  04:30:10 AM  Show Profile Send Bernie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi: The Brother 350 is a great machine. It would depend on the condition of the machine. Are all the parts and pieces there, is there a video, if the machine hasn't been used in a while you would have to purchase a new sponge bar for it. I had a 350 that I sold complete with video for $75.00 I had too many machines and didn't use that one very often.
Hope this helps.
Bernie
Go to Top of Page

LindaKnitsNJ
Warming Up

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  04:46:48 AM  Show Profile Send LindaKnitsNJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought my first machine in June of this year and it is a KX350. I highly recommend it. I agree with Bernie about the sponge strip, though. I had to replace mine immediately.
Linda in NJ
Go to Top of Page

Smiley
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2008 :  01:37:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Smiley a Yahoo! Message Send Smiley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, I have a KX-350 and it has been in storage for the longest. I have crochet for so long and just started knitting again. Would love to use my machine but can't seem to get it started. I know it works up fast so I would love to get it going. I am missing my weight bar and the stitches just don't seem to stay on track. I am curious what you ladies mean by the sponge bar? I don't remember anything about that peice. I acutely had to go out and buy a dvd player just to watch the video. Maybe I missed something? I appreciate any useful advice you can give me. I have a fashionshow coming up on March 2nd and whatever can help me move faster, the better!
Go to Top of Page

Bernie
Chatty Knitter

Canada
115 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2008 :  03:54:00 AM  Show Profile Send Bernie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi: The sponge bar is different with different machines. The metal machines have a metal bar with sponge on it. The 350 just has a sponge, you have to turn the machine upside down to see the sponge. If the machine hasn't been used in a while it probably needs replacing.
The purpose of the sponge is to keep the needles firm on the bed, any type of bounce in the needles usually means the sponge needs replacing.
a few places you might try are www.northtipton.com or www.theknittingcloset.com
Hope this helps
Bernie
Go to Top of Page

Smiley
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2008 :  06:38:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Smiley a Yahoo! Message Send Smiley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks alot, Bernie. I sent them an email and hope to hear something soon! Have a wonderful day........
Go to Top of Page

Deedum
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  5:29:40 PM  Show Profile Send Deedum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've just bought some sponge bars and needles from www.theknittingcloset.com and they were great to work with plus their prices were the lowest of all the web sites I checked. I know this comes too late for your show, but I definitely recommend them for any future needs.

Deedum
Go to Top of Page

ilerner
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  11:54:09 AM  Show Profile Send ilerner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, I am looking to buy a KX350 with a video. Does anyone know who is selling one? I am new to the machine knititng and trying to learn how to use Passap at home, but I really want a smaller machine to travel with.
Thank you.
Inna
Go to Top of Page

gulf knitter
Seriously Hooked

USA
737 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  12:16:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit gulf knitter's Homepage Send gulf knitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have one I paid $75 for used about 13 years ago. I have used it for several items, though not recently. It is no replacement for real knitting, but still an interesting tool. My finishing skill improved dramatically after I started using it, because I still finished everything by hand -- that was a fun bonus. sarah.
Go to Top of Page

amoonsinger
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2008 :  9:25:48 PM  Show Profile Send amoonsinger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just recently bought two Brother KX350's from ebay. Watch the auctions there as there have been lots of these machines up for auction lately.

As usual the sponge needed to be replaced and I got mine from Needle Tek. I ordered two of them and got them last week. They were $8.95 each.

Replacing the sponge was a three hour job after I took all the needles and cleaned them. Putting the sponge in and getting the needles back in was the three hour part, but wow was it worth it.

I love the way this machine handles worsted weight yarn. Now I can hardly wait for my carriage to get here for my bulky KH230 machine. I am going to try replacing the sponge on the bar myself.

A good travel machine, if you don't mind a smaller gauge, a 4.5 machine, is the Brother KH341. That is a fold up machine that has it's own carry case. I have one and it works great, doesn't have a sponge that needs to be replace and your work can fold up right on the needles to carry with you.

Mary
Go to Top of Page

Jesse Pforzheimer
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  8:34:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jesse Pforzheimer's Homepage Send Jesse Pforzheimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Folks I hope I am not breaking any rules, but I am parting with my KX350 and figured I would ask anyone here if they were interested. It has everything including the video which is worth watching for both instruction and novelty entertainment.

Like I said I just figured I would put it out there. If anyone is interest please email me and we can discuss. I have a few pics if wanted as well, but like I said it honestly is in great shape (may need a sponge as I haven't used it in at least two years) and comes with all original items including the box. If I don't hear from anyone I will probably put it up on ebay soon.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

gulf knitter
Seriously Hooked

USA
737 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2008 :  11:39:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit gulf knitter's Homepage Send gulf knitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do not use mine much any more, but I have had a 350 for about 14 years, and it has been a fun tool. I purchased mine used, but it was ten years before I had to replace the sponge strip. sarah.
Go to Top of Page

TiggerPooh2380
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  8:13:23 PM  Show Profile  Send TiggerPooh2380 a Yahoo! Message Send TiggerPooh2380 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a Incredible Sweater Machine, and a couple other machines I havent figured out how to use (lol). I have the chance to purchase a KX350 for $60.00 which comes with manual, video, row counter...etc I am just wondering if there is a big difference between the Incredible Sweater Machine and the KX350.. I know they are different, but I am wondering if it does pretty much the same thing. Main reason Im even thinking about it is for the row counter.

Thanks for any and all input

Sarah
Go to Top of Page

noraxis
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2009 :  8:57:52 PM  Show Profile Send noraxis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am curious as to find out where you are finding these machines so cheap. I looked on ebay and they are going for over a hundred shipped. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

amoonsinger
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  08:01:47 AM  Show Profile Send amoonsinger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I paid under $50 for two different Brother KX 350 machines and the shipping cost was (as I remember) under $20 for each, and I got those machines off of ebay.

Yes you will find that some auctions go high, but others do not. I won the two auctions in just a little over week from each other. You just have to keep a constant watch on the bidding and not go to high.

Other places to watch are craigslist, and the for sale knitting groups at yahoo. There are a couple just for knitting machines and/or parts. Most of those are way expensive but something cheaper does come up from time to time, like recently I bought a 400 carriage for my 350 for only $30. Yes that is almost as much as my machines, but these carriages are hard to come by and usually sale for much more.

The main thing is to keep that watch on ebay. Also be sure to click the search in title and description. Sometimes you find things in the oddest places. You sometimes have to be very patient in watching, but good deals are to be had. Heck I only paid $17 for my knitleader and that's a steal.
Go to Top of Page

Jinks
New Pal

New Zealand
2 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  12:25:35 AM  Show Profile Send Jinks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, can someone please advise me if the needles are very loose on the KX350 after it has been fitted with a new sponge bar. The carriage is jamming when needles are put into B, C or D position. When the carriage is taken off from the jamb, it appears that the needle that is jamming the carriage has dropped down further than the needles the carriage has passed over. If 5 needles are pulled out to a knitting position, the carriage seems to go over the first 2 needles and then jams on about the 3rd needle, but when carriage is taken off that 3 needles is a lot lower than the other 2. When needles are pulled out to the holding position, there is a lot of play in the needles. Looking forward to any replies.
regards
Jinks
New Zealand
Go to Top of Page

Jinks
New Pal

New Zealand
2 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  12:28:23 AM  Show Profile Send Jinks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, can someone please advise me if the needles are very loose on the KX350 after it has been fitted with a new sponge bar. The carriage is jamming when needles are put into B, C or D position. When the carriage is taken off from the jamb, it appears that the needle that is jamming the carriage has dropped down further than the needles the carriage has passed over. If 5 needles are pulled out to a knitting position, the carriage seems to go over the first 2 needles and then jams on about the 3rd needle, but when carriage is taken off that 3 needles is a lot lower than the other 2. When needles are pulled out to the holding position, there is a lot of play in the needles. Looking forward to any replies.
regards
Jinks
New Zealand
Go to Top of Page

amoonsinger
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  08:14:09 AM  Show Profile Send amoonsinger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the 350 after a new sponge is put in the needles should only move it you or the carriage push them. If they are still moving then the sponge could be to thin to keep them in place.

Did you purchase a sponge just for this machine? You can get them through Needle Tek for a reasonable price, something around 8-9 dollars (plus shipping of a couple of dollars) oh that is US money.

Go to Top of Page

shoney
New Pal

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2009 :  4:43:12 PM  Show Profile Send shoney a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wanted to check out sponge bar at the Needle Tek website but there was error in the search. Did I do something wrong?
Go to Top of Page

shoney
New Pal

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2009 :  4:59:38 PM  Show Profile Send shoney a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is the difference between Brother KX-350 Home Knitter Machine & Singer Studio 321 Punchcard? Which is better & why? Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Bernie
Chatty Knitter

Canada
115 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  02:38:29 AM  Show Profile Send Bernie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi: First of all they are different gauge machines. The KX350 is a plastic bed mid-gauge machine, sport weight yarn is mostly used on this machine. It has no patterning capabilities, so all pattern work would be hand manipulated.
The 321 is a standard gauge machine, it is a metal bed machine and has punchards to do patterning, baby yarn is used on this machine.
As to which is better it depends on which yarn you use the most. The other point is the on the KX350 all ribbing is done by hand or by dropping stitches and latching them up. The 321 can have a ribber attached.
Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.75 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.