Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning Articles, Magazines, Books, and Links
 The Yarn Book (Penny Walsh)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kade1301
Permanent Resident

France
1438 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2007 :  02:21:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kade1301's Homepage Send Kade1301 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those who missed the review in the latest Spin-Off, or who want a second opinion...

Carol Huebscher Rhoades wrote "I would describe the ideal reader as someone who wants to develop her spinning skills by starting with a clear understanding of the processes and characteristics of yarn production."

I don't think so. I think the book has been written NOT for spinners, but for textile artists. Meaning for people who work with fabric and want to have a rough idea what yarn is - not for people who want to make yarn.

As a spinner you find much more detailed information on twist angle and tpi in "Essentials of Yarn Design for Handspinners", more detailed information on natural fibres in practically any book on spinning, and more detailed instructions for novelty yarns in "Designer Yarns". The only extra "The Yarn Book" offers is a (very) brief glimpse into the world of man-made fibres and machine processing.

The book is full of very pretty pictures, including good close-up shots (which unfortunately sometimes show several types of yarn and you have to guess to which one the caption applies), the drawings are clear enough, but I'm missing detailed technical information like chemical formulas (for the man-made fibres) or numbers.

If you want something approaching a complete spinning library, you'll probably buy the book (for the simple reason that there's so few on the market), but knowledge-wise I don't think you are missing anything if you don't have it.

Klara

http://www.lahottee.info
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?